Author Topic: Style discussion: toys and figures  (Read 6731 times)

tripredacus

Style discussion: toys and figures
« on: April 18, 2016, 06:34:14 pm »
When dealing with naming toys, a proper name should consist of the following:
- Top-level brand
- Subline Imprint (if it exists)
- Figure number (if it exists)
- Figure name (as it appears on the packaging)
- Release country

Examples:
http://vgcollect.com/item/72437
"Mass Effect 3 Play Arts Kai: Garrus Vakarian [Action Figure] by Square Enix"
Correct name is:
Play Arts Kai: Mass Effect 3 - Garrus Vakarian [JP]
reference image: http://www.tomopop.com/ul/27664-tomopop-review-play-arts-kai-garrus-vakarian/IMG_7583-620x.jpg

http://vgcollect.com/item/87523
"PLAY ARTS Kai BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT Arkham Knight PVC pre-painted action figure"
Correct name is:
Play Arts Kai: Batman: Arkham Knight - No. 3 Arkham Knight [JP]
Reference image: http://ep.yimg.com/ay/dragonballzcentral/batman-arkham-knight-play-arts-kai-arkham-knight-11-action-figure-square-enix-2.jpg

Additional information, if needed, should be put into the Description field.

Note that Play Arts Kai is what is known as a multi-property brand, and as a top level brand it does not maintain a naming convention as some others ones do, for example: Revoltech.

If you need help in determining how to properly name a toy to be put in the database, feel free to ask.  ;)

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

Re: Style discussion: toys and figures
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 06:39:37 pm »
Thanks for the figure style guide, since I didn't find anything on it before - I tried to change the details on the PAK figures to match. Unify them. If you could edit the current Play Arts Kai figures on the database to follow this style guide, I'd appreciate that.

Badges

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 06:47:21 pm »
I want to leave this open for discussion at the moment. It is not in the style guide yet and if everything thinks it is cool then we can put it in there.

I've been doing toy database/chronicling since the late 90s, and this post was based on that experience. Of course, over time I've had disagreements (nitpicking really) with others so knowing that, it is best to get feedback first. Just because I'm an admin (who likes forums) doesn't mean I get to make up all the rules by myself. :)

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 06:48:49 pm »
Gotcha. Well,  I'm on board with your guide. Establishing structure is good.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:47:51 pm by mrfoxhound »

Badges

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 11:51:28 am »
Rise from your grave.

So if I rename the Amiibo figures from (for example)

30th Anniversary Mario Amiibo - Classic Color
Bowser - Amiibo Figure (Super Smash Bros. Series)
Callie / Marie - Amiibo Figure (Splatoon Series)

to

Amiibo: 30th Anniversary Mario - Classic Color
Amiibo: Super Smash Bros. Series - Bowser
Amiibo: Splatoon Series - Callie / Marie

Would that be acceptable according to the style guide?

I'd include the [NA], but Interactive Figures are already sorted by region.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 12:08:29 pm »
Bowser yes.
Callie/Marie: Splatoon is on the packaging not "Splatoon Series"

For the ones I had done myself, I notice only Smash has the word Series on it, the other ones use just a game logo and no Series word.

The Mario can be either:
1. Amiibo: 30th Super Marios Bros. - Mario (Classic Color)
or
2. Amiibo: Super Marios Bros. 30th - Mario (Classic Color)
If we are to use the logo on the top left for the subline, then #1 is correct and would match how we are setting up the format for these. I think you can put 2. in alt name because the card background shows the 30th at the end of the name.

EDIT: hmm it appears to not actually say Anniversary on the Mario does it?

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 12:18:45 pm »
Alright.  I was stating "Splatoon Series" because that's what the listing currently says.

from what I see, Smash bros. does not have the word "Series" on the box.

So.

Amiibo [Top Level Brand]
Whatever is exactly stated in the top left corner [Subline]
Figure name as written in top left under Subline [Figure Name]
Sub text under figure name in parenthesis (If applicable)

Yes?

Once I get clarification I'll go through and submit edits.

EDIT:

Inkling Girl / Inkling Squid / Inkling Boy 3-Pack (Variant) - Amiibo Figure (Splatoon Series)

Would become

Amiibo: Splatoon - Girl / Squid / Boy (Variant)

Would we leave out the 3-Pack and Inkling because it doesn't say that on the packaging?  Is "(Variant)" acceptable since it's an alternative color scheme for the figures?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:37:56 pm by ignition365 »

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:59:45 am »
Would we leave out the 3-Pack and Inkling because it doesn't say that on the packaging?  Is "(Variant)" acceptable since it's an alternative color scheme for the figures?

I see for these two, Inkling does not go into the name. It can be put in description or box text as it is used on the back of the box. For whatever reason Nintendo didn't put it on the front also, maybe to save room?

Variant does not apply here because these are 2 different releases. The original one (girl with orange hair, green squid, boy with blue hair) was released May 29, 2015. The other release (girl with green hair, orange squid, boy with purple hair) was released July 8, 2016. We can use (recolor) instead... or put the squid's color there instead (orange squid) vs (green squid).

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 11:03:36 am »

I see for these two, Inkling does not go into the name. It can be put in description or box text as it is used on the back of the box. For whatever reason Nintendo didn't put it on the front also, maybe to save room?

Variant does not apply here because these are 2 different releases. The original one (girl with orange hair, green squid, boy with blue hair) was released May 29, 2015. The other release (girl with green hair, orange squid, boy with purple hair) was released July 8, 2016. We can use (recolor) instead... or put the squid's color there instead (orange squid) vs (green squid).
Well it doesn't say the character's colors on the packaging.  Does variant only apply to thing released at the same time?  I figured identical products with minor alterations were considered variants regardless of release date.

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 11:05:55 am »
Would this same style guide apply to the Amiibo cards?

Alli - Animal Crossing Amiibo Card #036

Would become one of these?

Amiibo Card: Animal Crossing - #036 Alli
Amiibo: Animal Crossing Cards - #036 Alli
Amiibo: Animal Crossing - #036 Alli (Card)

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 11:40:36 am »
I didn't know there were cards in there too. Well, that should be put into a new category.

Card databases use this type of format:
- Year
- Manufacturer (if present on card front)
- Set name
- Insert set name (if applicable)
- Card #
- Card number letter (for variant/error checklisting)
- Card Name
- Subset abbreviation
- (Variant/error note)

In either of the card databases I use, they do not track Amiibo cards. Also the toy site I use does not put the cards as a separate item, they are an accessory of the figure itself.

So I think for cards, we may be able to dictate the format unless we can find what a standard way of displaying them. We know these have card numbers. For your example, Alli is card #036. Is this just #36 in the Animal Crossing set? Or is this #36 in the Amiibo set? If it is the Amiibo set, then I can see a name like this:

2015 Nintendo Amiibo #036 Alli

The card image does not show Animal Crossing on it does it? If it did, we could say Animal Crossing was a subset name. We can put that type of info in the description. However it is decided, it should stick closely to already established card naming rules.

If we are going to go into this direction of adding the cards are we also going to cover other video game cards? What about 1994 EA Sports hockey?
http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid/59637/1994-EA-Sports
http://puckjunk.com/2012/06/26/lost-cards-1993-94-ea-sports-esa-tikkanen/
Or any other instances where a game has come with a card included?

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 11:49:26 am »
The cards are numbered only in the Animal Crossing series.  I included a link.  I think we should set our own standard for these.

I think including the year is unnecessary.  Same with Manufacturer.  Set name could be included since they were released in different "series", but I'm not certain if each series has only 100 unique cards, may be unnecessary since the number transcends the series.  Card number should absolutely be included.   Same with Card name.

http://animal-crossing.com/amiibo-cards/#

The back of the card has the Animal Crossing logo like the amiibo top left corner boxes.

The cards have NFC chips in them, so technically they are interactive.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:54:20 am by ignition365 »

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 12:14:19 pm »
How about
Nintendo Amiibo: Animal Crossing #036 Alli
?

I suppose we'll need to have (card) at the end, since these are not figures and then change them later once they can be categorized properly.

Nintendo Amiibo: Animal Crossing #036 Alli (card)

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 12:36:51 pm »
Like I said, there's really no reason to include "Nintendo" since it is always Nintendo, no other company will release Amiibo cards.  Also, by including "Nintendo" it separates the 2 different form of Amiibo into 2 different areas "A" and "N" of the Interactive Figures section.

I think

will suffice.

Flashback2012

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 02:09:49 pm »
Like I said, there's really no reason to include "Nintendo" since it is always Nintendo, no other company will release Amiibo cards.  Also, by including "Nintendo" it separates the 2 different form of Amiibo into 2 different areas "A" and "N" of the Interactive Figures section.

I think

will suffice.

I still maintain that the interactive figures be held to their own simpler style outside of the one used for dolls/figures/statues or what have you but I'm fairly certain that will fall on deaf ears. Never mind there was discussion about breaking down the different figures/games into their own categories that naming in this way would be doubly redundant (unless the idea of breaking up the Interactive Figures forum has died off which would be unfortunate  :-\).

Now, if the plan is to still eventually separate the different figures into their own categories at some point, then I can't be the only person who thinks applying this convulsed naming convention to interactive figures is obnoxious and unnecessary. If there's going to be an Amiibo category eventually under interactive figures, then it seems redundant for every figure to have the word "Amiibo" first instead of the character's name. :P

And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having a style guide for your non-interactive dolls/figures/statues etc., I just don't see WHY it has to apply to all figures on the site and why an exemption can't be made just for interactive figures.   :-X