Author Topic: Username origins.  (Read 10230 times)

anagar

Re: Username origins.
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2016, 12:58:50 am »
Mine is simple as it gets, it just the first 3 letters from my first and last name.

Anabell Garfield? lol just the first name that came to mind
Ana Garcia

My guess has gotta be Anastasia Garfunkel  ;D

mrfoxhound was the closest it's Analise Garcia
Great guesses though  :D
PSN,Wii U/NID:ANA_GAR XBL:ANAGARXB 3DS/FC:4441-9981-8329

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

Re: Username origins.
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2016, 01:04:25 am »
Yes! I win. ;D

Badges

hexen

Origin of your VGCollect username
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 12:27:37 pm »
I always find this an interesting topic to learn about how people think, and I think I've ended up asking it on just about every forum I've been on eventually. In almost all circumstances something so simple usually has a more complex story than you'd think or a meaning that may not be so obvious.

I'll start things out with mine. The most obvious guess is that my name is based off the game Hexen, but that's not true (or maybe it is, indirectly). Back when I was a young'n after a long time my brother and I where finally able to convince our parents to get us an N64 used. We both got to get a game. My brother got Bomberman Hero and I got Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, as it was the games that made me want an N64 to begin with. The game being used it had a save file on it named Hexen. The file had everything done on it and little me was impressed. The file got deleted, I think by my brother, so when I started my game I named it Hexen II and the rest is nearly 20 years of a common avatar name.

So how about you guys? Any interesting tales?
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

doafan

Re: Origin of your VGCollect username
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 12:37:15 pm »
Quite simple cause am a pervert dude that loves the Dead or Alive franchise, have been using the Dead or Alive Fan nickname in all the forums, web pages that I visit but since that nickname wasn't allowed to be used here decided to shorten it to doafan, now that I think it wonder if it's possible to change it to DoaFan  :o

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 12:55:41 pm »
I thought it took part in the convo last time this thread popped up, but I guess I didn't.

I'll give a tl;dr at the end.  In my youth, the extent of my PC game playing was limited to C64 games, and then I immediately jumped to Atari 2600/SNES (Early 90s, yeah, pretty late for Atari) and went from console to console.  In high school I was introduced to UT2k4 and Onslaught mode.  This was my first experience with real PC gaming (C64 was little stuff, like all ASCII art and shit, probably not even commercial games).  I really really liked the vehicle combat.  This was almost exclusively the UT2k4 demo so you really only had access to the Hellbender, Scorpion, and Manta.  I really can't recall if the Goliath and Leviathan were in the demo.  (ONS-Torlan) My favorite thing to do was drive around and mow people down.  At this point I had no handle what so ever.  So early on, I went through some different names like "Doom", "Ima Kilyu", "Meaculpa", "Desperado", and "Get Quashed".  Eventually I wanted "Vehicular Manslaughter Man", but obviously that was too long so I just went with "Ignition" and occasionally used "Damage" for games that wouldn't allow 8 characters.  "Doom" and "Link" for when it was even fewer characters.  Most folks assume the 365 is because the standard name was already taken, but actually it's from the same scenario.  My friends and I had a gaming clan called Clan 365.  I think our idea was that we'd whoop your ass any day, but not on leap year, that's a day of peace.

tl;dr  "Vehicular Manslaughter Man" was too long.

hexen

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 01:01:25 pm »

The name may be too long, but at least your jail sentence won't be as long as "Vehicular Murder Man" because he had intent! I also hope "Vehicular Manslaughter Man" is a robot master in the next MegaMan game...
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 01:13:36 pm »
Minor Threat's "Guilty of Being White"

In today's PC culture, being a straight, white male that lives in the South... I continually realize that no matter what I say or do in life, I will have this stigma: I am the problem. I just like how you can pretty much put anything I'm guilty of after my username: Guilty of Being ______.

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 01:14:06 pm »

The name may be too long, but at least your jail sentence won't be as long as "Vehicular Murder Man" because he had intent! I also hope "Vehicular Manslaughter Man" is a robot master in the next MegaMan game...
That was actually the premise of the name.  I was realllllllllly into Mega Man at the time.

Mega man robot master rejects.

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 03:35:33 pm »
I've been using this tag for various games and forums for just under 20 years now. I think my Starcraft handle was the first. Basically, as a kid, I really liked dragons and I dreamed of conquering the world, so being a Dragon Emperor made sense. I didn't notice the spelling error until much later, but at that point I decided to roll with it.

One of the things I did enjoy a bit was that for the longest time, I could just google my tag and get 6-7 pages of results that were all me. But that came to the end when both Yugioh and Webkins (and later, Magic) released an Emperor Dragon.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 03:58:45 pm »
I use the same Username almost everywhere. You see "BurningDoom" somewhere else, it's likely me. And I've never had to add numbers to it or anything to make it work, so I don't think there's really other people out there using the name (at least not on my normal sites).

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 06:05:00 pm »
I've had this name since the mid 1990's. It is my old hacking name from my days on irc and msn chat, or at least a watered down version of it. Those who knew me or knew of me would probably recognize it more as xsu|c|desn0wmanx or [Su|c|d3-Sn0wMaN] depending on how long it's been since they heard of seen the name.

I am probably most well known for being one of the 3 people who broke the encryption on Microsofts webchat service introduced in 1999. If anyone on here ever went on that chat site, then you probably know who I am. Currently I am trying to apply these skills to my gaming news & review site, links in the sig if you wish to check it out.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

azure

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 06:51:30 pm »
It's my favorite color, that is really it to be honest. On top of that it just sounded kool at the time, so I just stuck with it.

Warmsignal

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 08:09:47 pm »
Was always bad at coming up with a cool screen name, so I decided one day to just be super unoriginal and use a song title. I was into Apparat at the time, so I thought this song title would suffice. I don't really care for it now, but I stick with it anyway.

theravenfreak

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2017, 08:43:17 pm »
My username is theravenfreak because I'm completely obsessed with Raven from Teen Titans. She's the girl next to classic Sonic in my avatar. I've had a crush on her since I was 13 years old, and well that crush has never gone away. :V So when I joined Sonic Retro I came up with the name Ravenfreak, and now I just use this username everywhere.

ferraroso

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2017, 09:46:53 pm »
Mine is not interesting at all, but anyways...
Since I am Brazilian, I have a couple of surnames and one of them is "Ferrari".
For some reason that only makes sense in the heads of young teenagers, my friends started calling me "Ferraroso" around the time of Middle School. So, when the internet started to become a thing, the username "Ferrari" was, for obvious reasons, always took before I could create my own account in any service, so I've started using "ferraroso" in lowercase because, at the time, no website would accept capital letters for login.

And that's it (I told it was not interesting).