Author Topic: What is the optimal tempature to store games?  (Read 5879 times)

rayne315

Re: What is the optimal tempature to store games?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 01:16:10 pm »
http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/stratpolprog/collectioncare/faqs/cddvd/caring_for_cds_dvds.pdf

Ill just drop this here. it covers everything about discs you would ever want to know.
keep in mind this is a large pdf. I believe when I opened it it was ~10-100mb it had 2 1's and a zero so 11.0MB or 110MB

TL:DR version. and yes I shortened this as much as possible. also keep in mind it recommends you make copies of all discs and use only the copies.

TEMP:

disc's should be stored in an environment that does not change temp between 0 degrees Celsius to 23 degrees Celsius (32-74 degrees Fahrenheit). if temperature is expected to change 16-21 degrees Celsius is recommended. (60-70 degrees Fahrenheit)

RELATIVE HUMIDITY:

fixed point between 30% and 50%

AIR QUALITY:

Air should be filtered to reduce particulates in the air

LIGHTING:

store in dark areas and avoid any direct sunlight/UV Lighting.

HANDELING:

NEVER touch the top or bottom of a disc! NEVER leave discs in systems (even ones turned off). other than that you should all know the rest.

LABELING:

NEVER write on or sticker any disc.

STORAGE:

store in cases Vertically on shelves. If shelving is metal make sure its powder coated or baked enamel (reduces chance of static discharge)

STORAGE ENCLOSURE:

make sure all discs are in jewel cases. If you purchase jewel cases to store your discs make sure it is NOT made of POLYVINYL CHLORIDE (PVC) (will damage discs over time will released gasses)

HOUSE KEEPING:

Clean your shelves every now and then to remove the chance of dust getting into your cases. also clean your systems to remove/reduce dust transfer.

CLEANING:

clean any none-new disc's before storing

the rest is basically not related to storage.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:00:11 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 01:56:13 pm »

HANDELING:
 NEVER leave discs in systems (even ones turned off). other than that you should all know the rest.

L

Wait what?
Your Stylish Sword Master!

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 01:58:34 pm »

HANDELING:
 NEVER leave discs in systems (even ones turned off). other than that you should all know the rest.

L

Wait what?
Yeah, I heard somewhere you shouldn't because it may ruin the disc reading lens or something. Not sure but I typically don't leave the games in the console for that.

Badges

rayne315

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 02:03:27 pm »

HANDELING:

L

Wait what?
Yeah, I heard somewhere you shouldn't because it may ruin the disc reading lens or something. Not sure but I typically don't leave the games in the console for that.

It actually says the reason for this is because of risk of heat from the system causing damage to the disc itself. also this is stricktly disc handeling not system handeling so im unsure if it causes damage to the lens or not.

btw GF78 will like this. It actually mentions "Disc Rot" saying Its caused by imperfections in individual batches of disc's like the data layer not being sealed properly, tiny amounts of water, or tiny air bubbles being present causing the aluminum to oxidize.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:19:39 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kashell

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 02:20:28 pm »

HANDELING:

L

Wait what?

It actually says the reason for this is because of risk of heat from the system causing damage to the disc itself. also this is stricktly disc handeling not system handeling so im unsure if it causes damage to the lens or not.

That's the first time I heard of this. I leave the game I'm playing in the console for as long as I need to until I'm done with the game.

gf78

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 02:22:44 pm »
btw GF78 will like this. It actually mentions "Disc Rot" saying Its caused by imperfections in individual batches of disc's like the data layer not being sealed properly, tiny amounts of water, or tiny air bubbles being present causing the aluminum to oxidize.

And some people think disc rot is not real.   ::)  Vindication!   8)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 02:43:15 pm »
Wait what?

I've read that as well.  I think it has to do with the whole "don't store your discs horizontally" thing. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

sworddude

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 02:55:26 pm »
Wait what?

I've read that as well.  I think it has to do with the whole "don't store your discs horizontally" thing.

Howcome? That the weight of the disc might pressure the system lens when turned off lol.

What can possibly happen when a console is turned off aside from the weight of the disc wich is pretty much nothing?

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 02:57:46 pm »
anybody knows if the smoke (from cigarettes or weed) may damage the games? like the box etc

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 03:03:51 pm »
As an avid-supporter of marijuana, I can tell you that marijuana smoke does add to the yellowing of white systems. However, it does not leave that lingering, disgusting smell that cigarettes do.

gf78

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 03:09:22 pm »
Wait what?

Howcome? That the weight of the disc might pressure the system lens when turned off lol.

What can possibly happen when a console is turned off aside from the weight of the disc wich is pretty much nothing?

Well, supposedly storing discs horizontally puts gravitational pressure on it which can warp the disc. 

gf78

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 03:17:38 pm »
As an avid-supporter of marijuana, I can tell you that marijuana smoke does add to the yellowing of white systems. However, it does not leave that lingering, disgusting smell that cigarettes do.

I thought THC was frowned upon by the religious right.  Hmmm....

sworddude

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 03:17:50 pm »
Wait what?

Well, supposedly storing discs horizontally puts gravitational pressure on it which can warp the disc.

So pretty much nothing to worry about. Unless I keep my games in a console for years

gf78

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 03:20:44 pm »
Wait what?

So pretty much nothing to worry about. Unless I keep my games in a console for years

That's my thinking.  I leave my "current" game I am playing in my system. 

sworddude

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 03:31:49 pm »
Wait what?

That's my thinking.  I leave my "current" game I am playing in my system.

Same here