Author Topic: POLL: Resellers, Good or Bad?  (Read 7934 times)

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

Re: POLL: Resellers, Good or Bad?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 01:58:35 pm »
GF78, that's a community mentality. You don't sell at eBay prices because you're a good guy and it would also be frowned upon in any collector community. It would probably also keep people away-like black listing. :P

Thanks for the compliment!  I also sell online through eBay and use the same principles there.  I try to list my games/items below "market value" and only consider my items to be "market value" if they are complete and not ratty condition.  Items in less desirable condition, I discount them further accordingly. 
Yeah, I usually sell below market value. So much so that I've bought items and sold it for less over the years. Lost a couple hundred dollars I'm sure but what can you do.

Badges

gf78

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 02:01:40 pm »
GF78, that's a community mentality. You don't sell at eBay prices because you're a good guy and it would also be frowned upon in any collector community. It would probably also keep people away-like black listing. :P

Thanks for the compliment!  I also sell online through eBay and use the same principles there.  I try to list my games/items below "market value" and only consider my items to be "market value" if they are complete and not ratty condition.  Items in less desirable condition, I discount them further accordingly. 
Yeah, I usually sell below market value. So much so that I've bought items and sold it for less over the years. Lost a couple hundred dollars I'm sure but what can you do.

When selling on eBay, I will tell you what really irks me.  It's resellers trying to lowball me on my games.  You know, you receive an offer for your item at less than half what you are asking which is already under market value.  Then you see the username and it's something like "Jim's Game Emporium" that you follow to their own sales page of overpriced stuff.  Just a week or so ago, I listed a brand-new, sealed mint condition copy of Mario Kart 8 for $39.95.  I had jerks like "Jim's Game Emporium" making lowball offers like $15.  You look at their page, the jerks are selling the same thing for $59.95. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 04:22:49 pm »
The very milk that you buy at the grocery is from a reseller so STOP complaining. It's called free market. If there is somewhere money to be made you should get it, otherwise your loss. The problem with today's society is that every one should have something that everyone else has at the launch. People are xxucking addicted and can't control themselves and take their credit cards and pay the crazy prices set buy the resellers/scalpers. Have they had a minute sense of intelligence and knew about supply and demand, they'd know that if they held their pee pee and didn't buy an item from a reseller at a value X, well over time, that said reseller, after seeing he/she is not able to move his/her products, they'd start marking down the prices (sometime up to 60% less). IDIOT-ADDICTED-BUYERS freaking are to be blamed, not someone who tries to make living out of flipping. I for example, missed my chance to preorder Demon's Souls Deluxe edition when it came out in 2009, then I saw the price sky rocket, why because stupid buyers were paying those stupid prices. So I waited. 7 Years later, last month I finally snatched one for the same price when it came out, in an absolute good condition. So, please, next time when you miss out on something, please, please, please control your impulse and xxucking wait. Don't inflate the prices, but if you do, the shut the hell up and stop putting the fault on reseller/scalpers.
P.S. I'm not a reseller as I have a wonderful job that pays very good.
You sound exactly like a scummy reseller, just because it isnt your full time carrier doesn't mean you arn't one. Your logic is fucked, just because you can make money doesn't mean you should. You slime ball.

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 04:27:59 pm »

When selling on eBay, I will tell you what really irks me.  It's resellers trying to lowball me on my games.  You know, you receive an offer for your item at less than half what you are asking which is already under market value.  Then you see the username and it's something like "Jim's Game Emporium" that you follow to their own sales page of overpriced stuff.  Just a week or so ago, I listed a brand-new, sealed mint condition copy of Mario Kart 8 for $39.95.  I had jerks like "Jim's Game Emporium" making lowball offers like $15.  You look at their page, the jerks are selling the same thing for $59.95. 
Just recently someone tried low-balling me on a game that was already under priced and I was losing money on. The game was at $16.99, he wanted it for $10 shipped. That wasn't happening.

Badges

tpugmire

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 04:59:02 pm »
The very milk that you buy at the grocery is from a reseller so STOP complaining. It's called free market. If there is somewhere money to be made you should get it, otherwise your loss. The problem with today's society is that every one should have something that everyone else has at the launch. People are xxucking addicted and can't control themselves and take their credit cards and pay the crazy prices set buy the resellers/scalpers. Have they had a minute sense of intelligence and knew about supply and demand, they'd know that if they held their pee pee and didn't buy an item from a reseller at a value X, well over time, that said reseller, after seeing he/she is not able to move his/her products, they'd start marking down the prices (sometime up to 60% less). IDIOT-ADDICTED-BUYERS freaking are to be blamed, not someone who tries to make living out of flipping. I for example, missed my chance to preorder Demon's Souls Deluxe edition when it came out in 2009, then I saw the price sky rocket, why because stupid buyers were paying those stupid prices. So I waited. 7 Years later, last month I finally snatched one for the same price when it came out, in an absolute good condition. So, please, next time when you miss out on something, please, please, please control your impulse and xxucking wait. Don't inflate the prices, but if you do, the shut the hell up and stop putting the fault on reseller/scalpers.
You sound exactly like a scummy reseller, just because it isnt your full time carrier doesn't mean you arn't one. Your logic is fucked, just because you can make money doesn't mean you should. You slime ball.

Watch the name calling.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

sworddude

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 05:07:11 pm »
Resellers aren't to awesome but to be honest It's not about allot of money.

People can not live from this there just isn't enough. For retro stuff the demand is already high so if a reseller or a collector sells his item regardless of how the items are aquired the price will be the same. If one cuts a deal or sells for full price as long as there are people out there that want to pay for the item prices will stay high.

Also lose games are still pretty affordable. Pretty much all good games are only for cib the prices are really high but that would also be the case without any resellers since there aren't that many out there in nice shape.

The resellers I hate is for new stuff. Pre orders for certain games the amiibo hype those are the thing that are pretty annoying. I barely buy any games new these days but I've seen it happening and it *****. Especially since the resellers usually just only earn 5 or 10 box profit and we as buyers pay 5 or 10 box extra + the shipping costs. It's really annoying that people do this since people who want it pay way more while the profit is pretty much nothing at all.

It's annoying but It's not about to much money.

Also for people lowballing 50% of the time It's not a reseller, there are allot of cheap ass collectors/gamers out there who try to get games for as cheap as possible sometimes with offers of only a few bucks. It's pretty pointless since no one will take the effort to sell stuff to them. If you make an offer it should be a decent offer since else people will not take the effort to even ship it. i'm pretty sure resellers will not take the effort to offer such prices on not to expensive games.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 05:15:57 pm »
Yeah, if I'm able to-I'll usually make an offer for a couple dollars less than what they're asking for. They win and I win since they usually always accept.

Badges

sworddude

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2016, 05:28:51 pm »
Yeah, if I'm able to-I'll usually make an offer for a couple dollars less than what they're asking for. They win and I win since they usually always accept.

Your not getting it.

I mean litterally making an offer of only a few dollars.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 05:33:17 pm »

Your not getting it.

I mean litterally making an offer of only a few dollars.
No, I understand what you said and it's ridiculous but I was just answering to say how I usually do business on eBay. If I'm able to make an offer, I'll try going for a few dollars less than asking price.

Badges

Warmsignal

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2016, 05:39:17 pm »

Heard this happens at game cons a lot too. It's really corrupt. Vendors going around looking for under market value stuff from other vendors to buy them up and resell before the doors open. It's sad that even if someone wanted to sell their stuff cheap on eBay, it would prob go to resellers.

I'm not claiming to be all high and mighty, I just don't even sell, ever. But when I see stuff I already have, or don't want, I just don't buy it. Even if it's cheap. I have the will power to walk away from it. Not worth my time to trying to resell games. Could end up going to reseller. Even if I bought and sold for cheap, probably a reseller in disguise would buy it. Can't win. I just leave it.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2016, 05:42:19 pm »
This is a real hot topic! 

A few years ago, I would have been right there with y'all calling for resellers heads.  It's time we let go of that.

There's not much out there in the wild anymore. The number of collectors is astronomical. People blame prices on resellers jacking up prices. That line of thinking only works on things people need. We don't need these games.

The real controlling factor is what collectors will pay. If you want to be pissed at someone, look around at the guy paying the high prices. He's what's driving the prices up.

Besides, aren't we all resellers?  I've sold stuff to find the habit. Let's put that reseller hate aside and be done.

Now, scalpers on new stuff; well, I have a problem with.

retrogemcollector

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 07:28:53 pm »
lol, the milk comment was just to say that how everything we buy is trough resellers, nothing more. It proves how SOME rigide minded people read the first sentence and they start shooting, how pathetic. To re-itterate my point: as long as all those self-acclaimed shelf collectors (who just started collecting after watching some youtube videos, and say to themselves ''oh I'm gonna INVEST in video games, because it's cool and when I get Snatcher CIB, then I'm gonna feel important''), pay those stupid, yet justified prices, the resellers/scalpers will continue to grow and prices will keep going up. It's not the Salvation Army, people will not give you cheap games out of pity. They went out and spent considerable amount of time to look for cheap desirable games. You cannot expect sitting home, don't put any effort and buy those games for cheap. So work for it or just go cure your addiction and impulse people. If a CE comes out and you didn't get it, DON'T go and pay the high price, wait, buy the Standard edition, and when the hype falls down you'll get your eye candy shelf-prize. Also if someone want to make money because they were on the balls and bought 10 of a desirable item (who are you to judge) and you missed on it, you can only blame yourself because the releasing company gave them the same chance than they gave you.

If you want the Premium, put the premium effort to get it at retail or pay the Premium, but if you paid the (stupid) Premium price (and indirectly helped increasing the value) then don't come back and complain.

P.s. to that person with apparently a very poor familial education, name calling me will not give you extra credit. It's a forum and I have the same rights to express my OPINION as you. Next time call your parents and ask them to teach you how to behave in the society.   
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:11:55 am by thedarkpersian »

kashell

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 07:47:45 pm »
Food for thought.

Watch the name calling.

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 08:43:47 pm »
Yeah, I can understand frustration in some way, but I agree with thedarkpersion in some ways too. The buyer holds all the cards (unless it is genuinely a rare game).

A personal example for me just happened today.. I've been on the look out to by myself another copy of Star Fox 64. Great game, everybody knows that, and its not expensive because its not too hard to find. But all the shops near me have been price 20, 30, even 30+ for the cartridge alone! After seeing 2 or so of those prices I could've bought it, but that would've validated their price. I told myself I'd just let it sit there.

Today I found a copy with the manual and a free rumble pack for 12. I made the purchase. To me thats a great deal (I would've probably done 15 for the cart alone), but it makes my point.

Also, going back to the original poster's first comment, Smash Melee is not a great example because of the tournaments.. someone made that comment already, and they were dead on.
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2016, 01:32:57 am »
Yeah, I can understand frustration in some way, but I agree with thedarkpersion in some ways too. The buyer holds all the cards (unless it is genuinely a rare game).

A personal example for me just happened today.. I've been on the look out to by myself another copy of Star Fox 64. Great game, everybody knows that, and its not expensive because its not too hard to find. But all the shops near me have been price 20, 30, even 30+ for the cartridge alone! After seeing 2 or so of those prices I could've bought it, but that would've validated their price. I told myself I'd just let it sit there.

Today I found a copy with the manual and a free rumble pack for 12. I made the purchase. To me thats a great deal (I would've probably done 15 for the cart alone), but it makes my point.

Also, going back to the original poster's first comment, Smash Melee is not a great example because of the tournaments.. someone made that comment already, and they were dead on.

I agree with the tournament idea too from an aspect of the resellers manipulating the people that run those tournaments into paying more, because they need the games and have to pay whatever they ask. So the price will climb because resellers know its a hot game.  But I am not sure if you guys mean that the game is actually rarer or worth that much because of the abundance of tournaments buying the game. That I wouldn't necessarily agree with. Because Marvel Vs Capcom and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 have always been pretty hot tournament games too, and not to mention they are very much rarer. Yet they still cost at least 10 dollars less. Mostly because the demand from common folk on marvel isn't nearly as high as people who want or need smash. All the tournements could combine and buy 25,000 copies of smash and their would be still be plenty in the wild but resellers know they could ask 100 and get it if they wanted because of the game it is. I see it so often. It upsets me because I remember when smash melee was 15 bucks in the bins and such. Before cube was collectible and retro. Not all that long ago either. maybe 6 years ago.  It was always super common and still is. And If we don't want to use Smash Melee as the example we can use windwaker or Mario kart double dash too. almost any cube game that people really want they can drive the price super high.  Mario kart sold 7 million copies and is 40 dollars right now. It was like 30 last year. its crazy how fast they inflate the prices. Because collectors need those games so those get put super high and we have to pay it or tough luck. It really sucks.