Author Topic: Most overated game ever?  (Read 7107 times)

Most overated game ever?
« on: May 02, 2016, 02:29:45 pm »
My pick is FF VII. Its such an amazing game don't get me wrong and I can understand why people love it.  but a lot of people label it the best game ever made. Best RPG ever ect...  I think I prefer VIII over VII. FF8 had a more deep and engaging storyline for me and superior character development.  So in my opinion FFVII isn't even best in its series let alone best game of all time. Orcarina I have similar feelings towards. I acknowledge the importance and the greatness of OOT and I will never forget how it shaped and molded the Zelda franchise for the future but I cant seem to put it over WindWaker. I think WindWaker had much smoother controls and was on a better console and had more replay value for me.  That of course doesn't mean these games suck by any means. Just that they get a tad too much praise or critical acclaim. What would you say is most overated game ever?

indenton

Re: Most overated game ever?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 03:09:31 pm »
Look, Marv, I know you're pretty fresh to the site, your topics have been pretty interesting... but this one I want to go on record and say I'm sick of the "What's the most overrated game" topic, we already have a dozen of them on the forum and they always just make me miserable, it's an excuse to talk shit on every single franchise because you feel empowered to do so. 

Here's my pick: Go ahead and pick out the game you cherish the most in life, the one piece of media which has molded your very being.  That one, that's the game I detest the most, it's sinful and your pathetic for liking that piece of trash. 

Just... it isn't cool, think of something more original. You had a good track record going there Marv. 

kashell

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 03:14:44 pm »
This topic usually results in flame wars and/or hurt feelings. I know that the TC doesn't mean any harm by it, but it's just taboo.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 03:30:29 pm »
Every snes jrpg.

gf78

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 03:35:33 pm »
This topic usually results in flame wars and/or hurt feelings. I know that the TC doesn't mean any harm by it, but it's just taboo.

It is taking every ounce of my self control at this point to not make a snide remark.  And no, not at the OP.   :-X  Or kashell...though he knows what I am talking about. 

And not indenton or matimo either. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 03:38:06 pm »

It is taking every ounce of my self control at this point to not make a snide remark.  And no, not at the OP.   :-X  Or kashell...though he knows what I am talking about. 

And not indenton or matimo either. 

Ha! The struggle is real. But taking the high road can feel good!

Or you can just preface with an "IMO" before you post.

gf78

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 03:51:51 pm »
Ha! The struggle is real. But taking the high road can feel good!

Or you can just preface with an "IMO" before you post.

I'm afraid the thread would get locked if I said more.  I think I'll just wait until I get off work, go home and download a bunch of old games to run on my emulators.   ;)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 05:55:26 pm »
IMO, and this was just me, and you can't say i am a hater cause i happen to have 3 copies for some reason..... but

Halo.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

gf78

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 09:53:12 pm »
IMO, and this was just me, and you can't say i am a hater cause i happen to have 3 copies for some reason..... but

Halo.

Quit drinking the haterade.  ::)  :P

azure

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 10:36:22 pm »
Zelda as a whole, go ahead bash me.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 01:58:21 am »
For me, "Halo" and "Fallout 3".

In my opinion, they're very boring.

stealthrush

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 02:01:40 am »
Overrated games:

Zelda series
Halo series
Metroid series
Doom series

Game/series I care less about:

Fallout
Destiny
Oblivion
Half-Life
Bioshock
Deadpool
Saint Row
Uncharted
Crackdown
Mass Effect
Condemned
Dead Space
Orange Box
Dead Rising
Left 4 Dead
Call of Duty
Duke Nukem
Tomb Raider
Gears Of War
Mortal Kombat
Assassin's Creed
The Elder Scrolls
Grand Theft Auto
The Legend of Zelda
Batman: Arkham City
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:04:19 am by stealthrush »

indenton

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 03:21:58 am »
Bonk!

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 11:21:16 am »

*grabs my pitchfork*
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 12:38:05 am »
Earthbound: People act like it is the end all, be all RPG on the SNES, but from someone who has played most of them on the system, it is definitely bottom of the barrel, maybe mediocre at best. People like to say how unique and quarky it is, which I guess is true, especially for the time, but the graphics look slightly better than an NES game, the music is mostly not that great (with a few exceptions), and the story is pretty boring. Chrono Trigger, FFIV and FFVI, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Breath of Fire I and II, and Lufia are just a few RPGs that are better. Meanwhile, Earthbound gets treated like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Honorable mentions: Metal Gear Solid, Super Smash Bros Melee, Call of Duty (all of them)