Author Topic: Why do game stores put stickers on labels?  (Read 2396 times)

Why do game stores put stickers on labels?
« on: May 09, 2016, 03:56:49 pm »
I will never understand the logic. Why put the sticker on the one place you shouldn't put it? They go so far as to go out of their way to put it on the inside art. sometimes even on manuals. They could put it on the plastic part of the cartridge or on the outside of the case but they always put the sticker right on the label or on the inside cover art of the case. The sheer audacity lol.

desocietas

Re: Why do game stores put stickers on labels?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 04:05:40 pm »
I will never understand the logic. Why put the sticker on the one place you shouldn't put it? They go so far as to go out of their way to put it on the inside art. sometimes even on manuals. They could put it on the plastic part of the cartridge or on the outside of the case but they always put the sticker right on the label or on the inside cover art of the case. The sheer audacity lol.

I'm so glad that Gamestop stopped doing this. They used to do this on the spines of the cover art, and I haaaated it.  Some merciful souls would place the sticker there but leave the backing paper, so all you had to do was slip it out and be residue-free.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 04:07:38 pm »
Goodwill is the worst at this. Find a comic you really wanted and have been looking for over a decade? Awesome, except there's a big $2.00 sticker right on the freaking cover, and if you try to remove it, you rip the cover.  >:(

kashell

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 04:12:54 pm »

I'm so glad that Gamestop stopped doing this. They used to do this on the spines of the cover art, and I haaaated it.  Some merciful souls would place the sticker there but leave the backing paper, so all you had to do was slip it out and be residue-free.

That was always a nice surprise when they do that.

Unfortunately, those circular stickers that they use to seal their new games are terrible. I always tell the employee to stop before they put it in because it leaves a terrible residue. When did they start doing that?

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:48:38 pm »

Unfortunately, those circular stickers that they use to seal their new games are terrible. I always tell the employee to stop before they put it in because it leaves a terrible residue. When did they start doing that?

Unfortunately they have to do it to recognize it as a "new" game. Their return policy is different depending on whether the item is used or new.  If someone asks for the sticker to not be placed on there but then try to return it for a refund as a "new" game, they won't be able to. The customer will be forced to trade it in as a used item.

As far as I know, they've been doing it for a few years.  But I agree that it leaves an awful residue. Anyone know if a hairdryer helps or makes it worse for removing those?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 06:07:20 pm »
I tried this when I got the launch editions of Devil Summoner Soul Hackers, and Etrian Odyssey Untold. However, my hairdryer is really weak, so it didn't help much and they've got a bunch of residue on them. If you have a strong hairdryer, it should work on those stickers as long as you don't apply it for more than about a minute.

shepard11

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 08:35:02 pm »
I figure they are a bunch of terrorist that hate America and punch puppies in their free time. (JK) Nothing drives me up the wall more than sticky on a cover or a game. My shop I outright refuse a game or movie if I do take it in I'll low ball the hell out of them. Luckily my gamestop here in town understands what an OCD collector I am and usually will honor my request. And don't get me started on Blockbuster stickers.

kashell

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 08:08:30 am »

Unfortunately they have to do it to recognize it as a "new" game. Their return policy is different depending on whether the item is used or new.  If someone asks for the sticker to not be placed on there but then try to return it for a refund as a "new" game, they won't be able to. The customer will be forced to trade it in as a used item.

As far as I know, they've been doing it for a few years.  But I agree that it leaves an awful residue. Anyone know if a hairdryer helps or makes it worse for removing those?

We don't have a hairdryer in the household. ;__; We're manly men!

But yeah. I understand that they need something to differentiate between new and used. I just wish that they had another method. If you leave the sticker on until you get home, the case is ruined.

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 09:35:10 am »
If the label is on plastic, I will use goo gone or rubbing alchohol on it. A small amount, let it sit 5-10 minutes to soak in, then you can usually take the label off. Nail polish remover can work too. Do not use this method on labels that are on cardboard. I made that mistake when I first started doing this years ago on an Intellivision box. :(

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 10:45:43 am »
It should be the 11th Commandment.
Thou shalt bear stickers upon thee cartridge labels.

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 12:09:20 pm »
They hate game collectors and like to watch us squirm. They have the goods, they've got the high price tags, and it's going right on what you love so much.

Sometimes it might be an anti-fraud measure. To prevent you from pulling a sticker off inconspicuously, and then bringing it to them and saying you want to trade it in, or switching the tag with something else, or causing them to price something incorrectly in your favor.

gf78

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 12:39:10 pm »
It's a way to ensure that customers don't swap price stickers.  It's much harder to do when the sticker is under the plastic.  It sucks though because even when you get the sticker off, if the ink under it is black it will leave a discoloration.  The old GameStop way of putting the sticker on the spine was horrific.

And for whoever mentioned Blockbuster labels...those things are the unholy spawns of Satan's right testicle.  I've never been able to remove one of those completely. 

As for the GameStop "new" seal stickers they like to slap on the side of the box...let's just say GameStop and me have come to an understanding regardless of which store I am at.  When they go to put it on, I tell them they can hand me my fucking money back.  I had one try me and put it on anyway.  I immediately returned it on the spot.  The bimbo behind the counter thought I was bullshitting her.  I wasn't playing around.  Those things are terrible and leave residue on the case that you damn near can't get off.  I don't want to spend 30 minutes trying to completely remove that mess from my game case.  I'd rather be playing the game.   >:(
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:42:15 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 01:39:09 pm »
It's a way to ensure that customers don't swap price stickers.

Yup, I realize this when I'd see stores with policies where they say they won't sell anything that doesn't have a price sticker. Because people will peel stickers off and try to get them for cheaper.  It's a real shame, but I guess people do all sorts of things to possibly save a few bucks :/
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 02:34:25 pm »
It's a way to ensure that customers don't swap price stickers.

Yup, I realize this when I'd see stores with policies where they say they won't sell anything that doesn't have a price sticker. Because people will peel stickers off and try to get them for cheaper.  It's a real shame, but I guess people do all sorts of things to possibly save a few bucks :/

To me, talking and trying to "jew 'em down" (don't worry, my pop's side of the family is Jewish so I can say that!   :P ) to save a few bucks is perfectly acceptable.  Swapping price stickers is akin to stealing because you are attempting to obtain something for less than it's cost through deception. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Flashback2012

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 02:24:13 am »
When I worked at GS, I started putting stickers on all of the spines LONG before it was a nationwide thing. I remember when it caught on and we were instructed to put the stickers on the insert under the spine. I adamantly refused to do so and told my then manager that I would process all trades and leave the sticker on the wax paper and slide it under the plastic so it wouldn't be on the actual insert. The other assistant at the time just wanted to slap the stickers on inserts and be done with it but I eventually got the rest of the store to do it the way I did.  :)

Funny enough, just recently I had finally tracked down a game in one of the stores that I had been after on XB360 and ended up having to pass on it because when I found the case on the shelf there was a sticker on the insert and it was NOT coming off. Shame.  :-\