Author Topic: Disney Infinity discontinued.  (Read 2525 times)

Disney Infinity discontinued.
« on: May 10, 2016, 04:54:10 pm »
By now you may have heard the news that we have made the difficult decision to discontinue production of Disney Infinity. From the beginning, Disney Infinity was built for you—our fans—and I wanted to take a moment to thank you not just for your support over the years, but for creating a community that made Disney Infinity more than just a game.

Our goal for Disney Infinity was to bring the best of Disney storytelling to life in homes around the world, and with your support we accomplished that. We hope you had as much fun playing the game as we had making it.

So what’s next for Disney Infinity? We have two final retail releases coming, including three new characters from Alice Through the Looking Glass later this month, and the Finding Dory Play Set launching in June.

And as we turn to the next chapter in our story, I want to thank everyone who helped bring Disney Infinity to life, particularly Disney’s Glendale-based production and publishing teams, our external development partners, and of course the incredible Avalanche team for their tireless dedication to this project.

But most of all, I want to again thank you for making Disney Infinity a part of your lives—and for adding to the Disney legacy by being a part of this community.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 05:01:53 pm by ctracy87 »

abe

Re: Disney Infinity discontinued.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 05:30:23 pm »
Kinda surprising. Makes me wonder how well the Skylanders brand is holding up.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

soera

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 05:45:56 pm »
I wouldnt be surprised if this is the last year for Skylanders either. Its first 2 years was pretty popular. Swap Force wasnt too bad but started dwindling at the end. Trap team is where it kind of fell apart. There were too many traps and not enough game to keep people interested. Superchargers this year was supposed to be a band aid with the vehicles and the interaction with Nintendo/Amiibo but its just a bit too little too late. The worst part about Skylanders is the lack of connection. At least with the first game, there was Spyro to try to bring in a small population of players. Now its just a bunch of random figures with no real identity or purpose.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 06:03:36 pm »
Just like rhythm gaming with Guitar Hero and Rock Band, the bubble has popped.  I'm sure places like Toys R Us will be happy that they won't have rows of Disney Infinity and Skylanders any longer lol  Maybe Skylanders will end and we can see Spyro return in a proper game?

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 06:06:28 pm »
I can't say im that surprised, Disney has a smaller appeal than Skylanders and Amiibo's do.. but this is probably mostly attributed to the declining sales in toys to life products as a whole, it's becoming stagnant and overdone. People are just losing interest in the expensive figurine DLC. :/

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 06:34:33 pm »
Crazy, I've heard some mixed things on Disney Infinity, seemed like a cool concept for Disney fans. I was actually wondering about Skylanders too, I actually am seeing like buckets full of the characters and pads at thrift stores, seems like what Kamikaze said that bubble has popped.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 07:07:41 pm »
What someone really REALLY needs to do now is make a WarHammer 40K game.

realpoketendonl

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 09:29:20 pm »
This drop in consumer interest isn't just limited to Disney Infinity and Skylanders. Intertoys, one of the largest toy store brands in the Netherlands, recently dropped the prices on all amiibo from €15,99 to €7,99. And while they advertise this as a discount on their website, the regular stores treat it like it's the regular price. This has also been the price for a few weeks now, so I think they dropped the price permanently. I honestly haven't checked the prices on Skylanders, Disney Infinity or Lego Dimensions, since I don't care about those series. And while other stores have been lowering prices (they go on bol.com, the largest online warehouse in the country, for 10-16 euros on average), this is the first huge price drop that I've seen.
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

Flashback2012

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 01:51:45 am »
Color me surprised by this announcement. I figured they would have had at least one more game in the pipe before shutting down the franchise. There's PLENTY of characters they could have used such as...

Disney/Pixar
Goofy, Max, Pete (throw in obscure references like Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow as well)
Scrooge McDuck, Gizmoduck, Darkwing Duck, Daisy Duck, Huey/Dewey/Louie (they could be like the Ice Climbers where you can control one of the three at a time)
Chip & Dale, Gadget w/Zipper, Monterey Jack (Do these like the Skylander Minis and add in other small characters like Bernard and Miss Bianca from the Rescuers)
Dusty (Planes), Bolt, Chicken Little, Kuzco and Kronk, Simba, Beast, Pinocchio, Hercules, Robin Hood, Oswald and Ortensia (I would kill for these two), Kristoff (Frozen)

Marvel
Captain Marvel, Spider-Woman, Iceman, Beast, Thing, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, War Machine (might have to be packaged as James Rhodes/Rhodey), Doctor Strange, Thanos

Lucasfilm/Star Wars
Indiana Jones, Short Round, Mutt, Jyn Erso (SW Rogue One), Wicket W. Warrick, Jango Fett, Mace Windu, Wedge Antilles, Lando Calrissian, Captain Phasma, Jar Jar Binks (just to aggravate the fanbase) and the greatest hero of them all Jek Tono Porkins  ;D

Oh well...what could have been.  :P

In other Interactive Figure news, they just announced that LEGO Dimensions Fun Packs would be reduced in price to $11.99. Places like Best Buy and GameStop ran 50% off sales on them for WEEKS at a time, I was able to clean up on some of them at Best Buy using the GCU and getting them for $6 each. It looks like the last 3 sets came out this week and I don't really see a LEGO Dimensions 2 on the horizon in the near future (though I could be wrong).

With this announcement I'm sure Bobby Kotick will be emboldened to keep cranking out Skylanders games since there's less competition on the store shelves. It's an Activision game after all so the rule is the series must be driven into the ground thoroughly and the buying public must be well past tired of the franchise before they pull the plug on it.  :P

As far as Amiibos go...still on the look out for Wii Fit Trainer, Pit, Robin, Lucina and uhhh I want to say one other but I can't think of who off the top of my head...Nintendo's shenanigans have caused the popularity of these things to drop like a rock so seeing reprints of the ones I just listed seem unlikely. I'm REALLY surprised we didn't get more Robin and Lucina for Fates/Birthright. $6 packs of Amiibo cards that are 100 cards per series ain't helped much either.  :o

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 03:21:52 am »
I don't expect this to affect Amiibo in the same way, because they have different uses.  The other games have specific uses for their things, but Amiibo can basically be used for any game they want.

gf78

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 08:32:35 am »
I think the bubble has popped.  It's a shame because there are so many more characters I was looking forward to seeing and collecting from the Star Wars line, but alas it was not meant to be.

The reality is that with four competing products, sales of all of them have suffered because of consumer burnout. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

aliensstudios

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 01:17:38 pm »
Hmm, surprising. Collectors going of a complete DI set can rejoice though.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 01:24:51 pm »

There are several Disney Infinity figures I think look great and would love to collect.  I'm going to have to keep an eye out at Toys 'R Us.  They have the largest assortment of figures I have seen anywhere.  I've wanted the Marvel figures and some of the Disney figures like Sorcerer Mickey and the latest Mickey Mouse that you can't seem to find anywhere.   :o

It just really sucks because there are so many characters that I would have loved to see immortalized in plastic.  How cool would a Doctor Strange figure be?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

aliensstudios

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 02:46:25 pm »

There are several Disney Infinity figures I think look great and would love to collect.  I'm going to have to keep an eye out at Toys 'R Us.  They have the largest assortment of figures I have seen anywhere.  I've wanted the Marvel figures and some of the Disney figures like Sorcerer Mickey and the latest Mickey Mouse that you can't seem to find anywhere.   :o

It just really sucks because there are so many characters that I would have loved to see immortalized in plastic.  How cool would a Doctor Strange figure be?
I'd buy Scrooge McDuck in a heartbeat.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 02:54:59 pm »

I'd buy Scrooge McDuck in a heartbeat.

Oh yeah.  Wouldn't a new playset with Uncle Scrooge and Launchpad be awesome?  Then they could have 3-pack figures of Huey, Dewey and Louie and the Beagle Boys!