Author Topic: Anyone else annoyed by companies cheesing out on game names?  (Read 2610 times)

kashell

Re: Anyone else annoyed by companies cheesing out on game names?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 09:09:43 am »
You'll just have to play it and find out, my darling!

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 09:30:55 am »
Yeah, but money, so no.

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 09:31:45 am »
As long as they don't subtitle with Chronicles, or Revelations, or Tribulations, or Unleashed... These terrible, terrible subtitles that mean nothing instead of just calling the game Another One, or $60 and You Get More.
I'm guessing you have issues with Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Fire Emblem, and I guess Ace Attorney, as it's the only game I see with Tribulations in the name.

Unleashed I'll give you, that is genuinely terrible.  It's the same thing with "Xtreme"

Personally, I have no issue with Chronicles nor Revelations, especially when used properly.  I feel with Assassin's Creed at least that it makes sense with the plots of the respective titles.  This is coming from a person who gave the Assassin's Creed franchise shit for the past decade.  I've not played the Chronicles or Revelations Tomb Raider games, and I've not yet played Revelations on FE Fates.

It's not a problem with the games, it's just lazy subtitling. Usually done because they know there isn't a really spectacular reason why the game needs to exist like a proper sequel, other than to please the fans with more content. I'll play any Tomb Raider they put out. I just miss the days of when a game's sequel was just 2, 3, 4 etc. Sure that's lazy, but I like it better than generic words like Chronicles, or made up words like "Revengeance", a combination of two generic subtitles like Revenge and Vengeance. It's pure cringeance.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 09:40:30 am »
As long as they don't subtitle with Chronicles, or Revelations, or Tribulations, or Unleashed... These terrible, terrible subtitles that mean nothing instead of just calling the game Another One, or $60 and You Get More.
I'm guessing you have issues with Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Fire Emblem, and I guess Ace Attorney, as it's the only game I see with Tribulations in the name.

Unleashed I'll give you, that is genuinely terrible.  It's the same thing with "Xtreme"

Personally, I have no issue with Chronicles nor Revelations, especially when used properly.  I feel with Assassin's Creed at least that it makes sense with the plots of the respective titles.  This is coming from a person who gave the Assassin's Creed franchise shit for the past decade.  I've not played the Chronicles or Revelations Tomb Raider games, and I've not yet played Revelations on FE Fates.

It's not a problem with the games, it's just lazy subtitling. Usually done because they know there isn't a really spectacular reason why the game needs to exist like a proper sequel, other than to please the fans with more content. I'll play any Tomb Raider they put out. I just miss the days of when a game's sequel was just 2, 3, 4 etc. Sure that's lazy, but I like it better than generic words like Chronicles, or made up words like "Revengeance", a combination of two generic subtitles like Revenge and Vengeance. It's pure cringeance.
Is cringeance cringing and vengeance?  It seems out of place.

I have no issue with Numbering, and I have no issue with subtitles (even "lazy" subtitles), what I hate is when you as a company can't make up your mind on what you are going to do.  Just be consistent.

Too many franchises flip-flop on whether they are going to do numbering or keep numbering.  Companies can't stay consistent.

Warmsignal

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 09:43:24 am »

Is cringeance cringing and vengeance?  It seems out of place.

I have no issue with Numbering, and I have no issue with subtitles (even "lazy" subtitles), what I hate is when you as a company can't make up your mind on what you are going to do.  Just be consistent.

Too many franchises flip-flop on whether they are going to do numbering or keep numbering.  Companies can't stay consistent.

Yep. They do the numbers, then move to the subtitles, then the resume the numbers like... this is the proper sequel to the last number game we did! 20 years later! Has nothing to do with the last one, but we thought it'd be cool to say that.

kashell

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 09:53:39 am »
Yeah, but money, so no.

I'm hearing a lot of excuses now, young man. ^.~

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 10:27:30 am »
Yeah, but money, so no.

I'm hearing a lot of excuses now, young man. ^.~
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.  But seriously, I have little interest in adding any games to my wishlist, especially games I'll never play.