Author Topic: Anyone else annoyed by companies cheesing out on game names?  (Read 2607 times)

Hey guys, lets release a game called The legend of Zelda. It isn't like their is a game for NES called legend of Zelda already along with dozens of other games in the series that share that name and it isn't like when people say "Hey I just got Legend of Zelda"  people wont be like "which one?" What if when legendary names like WindWaker or Orcarina of Time were released they just got lazy and said "Lets name them "legend of Zelda"  it would have ruined our childhood and it is now.

And hey lets make a Need for Speed most wanted and just call it need for speed most wanted instead of need for speed most wanted 2. When a NFS most wanted already existed and people wont know which one you are referring too

and hey lets make a new Doom, what will we call it?  Ummm, idk. Maybe just doom. So people get it confused with the original doom.  it would be like if Nintendo released a game called Kirby's adventure in 2016 and kept the name.  Is it that hard to put the 2? Come on, please video game developers. We shouldn't have to put Need for Speed most wanted (2012) when we talk about games. If you just added literally one digit. :(.  All we need is a 2.

Re: Anyone else annoyed by companies cheesing out on game names?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 06:45:45 pm »
Need for speed 3 hot pursuit, need for speed hot pursuit 2, need for speed hot pursuit.

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 09:51:55 pm »
Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2001)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2015)

except those are TV series.  :(

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 11:03:23 pm »
Sometimes it can work if you are basically rebooting a franchise.  I think it was fine to call the new Tomb Raider what it was, because they wanted to start over with a new Lara.  Doom should've just been Doom 4.  I've seen people call it that out of convenience.  It's not like Doom is a long franchise will a continuing story, that stopped with Doom 2.  Doom 3 was a reboot, but it was still called Doom 3.

Wolfenstein is another that I think works, being a reboot and especially since the original game isn't called "Wolfenstein", but "Wolfenstein 3D", so it works well enough in that regard.  "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" was a great name for when they brought the series back with that too since I believe that was a reboot also.

On the other hand, some series name things poorly, particularly Nintendo.  "New Super Mario Bros" might be the worst ever.  I understand Mario hasn't always had the greatest of naming conventions, since they probably couldn't call it "Super Mario Bros 4, as technically that would be Super Mario World I guess...It gets worse when they kept it "New", but had to add like "Wii" at the end, so it becomes "New Super Mario Bros Wii" or when they made it "New Super Mario Bros U".  Just make it Super Mario Bros 3DS and Super Mario Bros Wii and Super Mario Bros Wii U, because "U" is a little weird.  If you don't want to get interesting with your titles, then make it straightforward.

There are ways to do game names that make sense and I think are fine to do, since young gamers now that are like sub-25 years old have never played the stuff that came out in the 90's or have that affinity for them unless they went back to play them.  But there is a legacy at times to think about, so if Capcom ever brings back Mega Man, I hope they make it with a tag like...Mega Man Alpha or Mega Man Returns or something like that instead of just "Mega Man" or just continuing the numbers at like "Mega Man 12".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:09:00 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 09:32:11 am »
Hey guys, lets release a game called The legend of Zelda. It isn't like their is a game for NES called legend of Zelda already along with dozens of other games in the series that share that name and it isn't like when people say "Hey I just got Legend of Zelda"  people wont be like "which one?" What if when legendary names like WindWaker or Orcarina of Time were released they just got lazy and said "Lets name them "legend of Zelda"  it would have ruined our childhood and it is now.

And hey lets make a Need for Speed most wanted and just call it need for speed most wanted instead of need for speed most wanted 2. When a NFS most wanted already existed and people wont know which one you are referring too

and hey lets make a new Doom, what will we call it?  Ummm, idk. Maybe just doom. So people get it confused with the original doom.  it would be like if Nintendo released a game called Kirby's adventure in 2016 and kept the name.  Is it that hard to put the 2? Come on, please video game developers. We shouldn't have to put Need for Speed most wanted (2012) when we talk about games. If you just added literally one digit. :(.  All we need is a 2.

This would be annoying, almost as annoying as someone posting more than one topic with "cheese" in the title.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 10:11:05 am »
Wolfenstein is another that I think works, being a reboot and especially since the original game isn't called "Wolfenstein", but "Wolfenstein 3D"

The original game is called Castle Wolfenstein:
http://vgcollect.com/item/34902

Wolfenstein 3D is the 3rd game in the series.

maximo310

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 11:58:04 am »

This would be annoying, almost as annoying as someone posting more than one topic with "cheese" in the title.
      ;D

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 04:05:43 pm »
Wolfenstein is another that I think works, being a reboot and especially since the original game isn't called "Wolfenstein", but "Wolfenstein 3D"

The original game is called Castle Wolfenstein:
http://vgcollect.com/item/34902

Wolfenstein 3D is the 3rd game in the series.

Oh wow, I didn't actually know that Wolfenstein went farther back than 3D lol No one ever talks about the first two games, but I can see why when looking back at them.  Not the best old games.  My point still works though with the naming conventions for the most part.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 07:52:07 pm »
As long as they don't subtitle with Chronicles, or Revelations, or Tribulations, or Unleashed... These terrible, terrible subtitles that mean nothing instead of just calling the game Another One, or $60 and You Get More.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 03:18:55 am »
It may be confusing to those on the outside but to us it's fairly simple.

Doom and Doom '2016' are easily distinguishable. Same as Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider '2013'

It's a good way to remember when a game came out as well :D

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 08:30:40 am »
As long as they don't subtitle with Chronicles, or Revelations, or Tribulations, or Unleashed... These terrible, terrible subtitles that mean nothing instead of just calling the game Another One, or $60 and You Get More.
I'm guessing you have issues with Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Fire Emblem, and I guess Ace Attorney, as it's the only game I see with Tribulations in the name.

Unleashed I'll give you, that is genuinely terrible.  It's the same thing with "Xtreme"

Personally, I have no issue with Chronicles nor Revelations, especially when used properly.  I feel with Assassin's Creed at least that it makes sense with the plots of the respective titles.  This is coming from a person who gave the Assassin's Creed franchise shit for the past decade.  I've not played the Chronicles or Revelations Tomb Raider games, and I've not yet played Revelations on FE Fates.

kashell

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 08:40:45 am »
I'm guessing you have issues with Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Fire Emblem, and I guess Ace Attorney, as it's the only game I see with Tribulations in the name.

Unleashed I'll give you, that is genuinely terrible.  It's the same thing with "Xtreme"

Personally, I have no issue with Chronicles nor Revelations, especially when used properly.  I feel with Assassin's Creed at least that it makes sense with the plots of the respective titles.  This is coming from a person who gave the Assassin's Creed franchise shit for the past decade.  I've not played the Chronicles or Revelations Tomb Raider games, and I've not yet played Revelations on FE Fates.

Did you ever play Grandia Xtreme? It's my favorite game in the series.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 08:43:42 am »

No actually, but is the game in fact XTREME?  Is there radical snowboarding?

Anything with Xtreme I expect to be super late 90s-early 00s style edginess.

kashell

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 09:04:11 am »

Haha! I can see where you're coming from, but no. There isn't any snowboarding or hanging ten.

Grandia Xtreme has extreme dungeon crawling and combat. It's also got a story that doesn't take itself too seriously.

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 09:09:21 am »

Haha! I can see where you're coming from, but no. There isn't any snowboarding or hanging ten.

Grandia Xtreme has extreme dungeon crawling and combat. It's also got a story that doesn't take itself too seriously.
But... what is extreme about the crawling and combat?