Author Topic: Going to Japan, recommendations?  (Read 1708 times)

Going to Japan, recommendations?
« on: April 14, 2016, 04:51:20 pm »
I'm making another trip to Japan this year.  Nagoya/Kyoto/Yokohama.
Any tips on any videogame related things to look for?  I have no systems newer than PS3, but most consoles PS3 -> Genesis/TG16/SNES.
I've taken trips to Japan in 2005, 2011, and 2014.  I have noticed the "recycle" shops like Hard Off/Book Off have generally gotten progressively worse each time for finding nice old video game stuff.  I guess that is kind of a worldwide thing.  If I had the benefit of future knowledge, I would have got a whole lot more in '11, when I recall seeing stacks of Saturns and PCEngines at Hard Off very cheap.
From articles I have read, seems like a combination of foreign buyers, online auctions, and some resurgence in popularity of old games has pretty much gutted the (cheap) brick&mortar market.  Regardless, I do plan to check out the Book Off group stores around Nagoya, and probably Super Potato, and see what they have. 

Re: Going to Japan, recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 06:22:37 pm »
Relatedly- It would be super nice to be able to sort my wishlist by country and then platform so I could quickly look for (say) JP games when I am in Japan.  Guess I can do that myself by exporting my wishlist, but it looks like the Alternate Name (which often has the -kana/kanji name) isn't included in an export.

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 06:40:10 pm »
Yeah, having sorting and/or filtering options is definitely something a lot of users (admin included) have been asking for and is on the radar for future improvements to the site.

I'm excited and envious of your trip! I've only gone once, and that was back in 2013 (feels like ages ago) but didn't get a chance to go by Super Potato. I made a quick trip to one of the Hard Offs (maybe one in Akiba?) but didn't come across anything that piqued my interest.

Are you mostly interested in the games themselves only or also looking into the goodies that are in region-specific CEs? Their variety of figurines and such are amazing, though I always wonder where people keep all these things when the houses are fairly on the small side  ???
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 12:14:20 am »
From what I've heard, the stock at all of the popular game shops in the cities has gone way downhill, and their prices aren't very good. This extends somewhat to the selection of city Hard-Offs,but you may be able to find a better selection at some of the rural hard-offs.

My bro did go to Japan a few weeks ago, but he wasn't able to do any game-related stuff besides going to local arcades. But he does reccomend checking those out, as they have some really nice ones that are multistory and have specific game genres on each floor.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 01:23:35 am »
As what some other's have said, the western collecting craze has really decimated Japan's second hand retro gaming market. I've even heard of people moving to Japan just to find and resell games on Ebay. If you can, hit up a shop called Super Potato. They are likely completely cleaned out of have adjusted their prices, but they used to be an absolute goldmine a few years ago. They are in Akihabara. I also think they have a location in Kyoto.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 11:31:40 am »
Yeah, having sorting and/or filtering options is definitely something a lot of users (admin included) have been asking for and is on the radar for future improvements to the site.

It will be nice.  But I'm sure it will take a substantial overhaul, not least because the region seems to be baked into the category field rather than being an independent field (at least in the exports), and non-existent in hardware/accessories

I'm excited and envious of your trip! I've only gone once, and that was back in 2013 (feels like ages ago) but didn't get a chance to go by Super Potato. I made a quick trip to one of the Hard Offs (maybe one in Akiba?) but didn't come across anything that piqued my interest.

Thanks!  I am going with my wife and 6-year-old daughter, so used game stores aren't at the top of the list, but hopefully I can make it to a few.  As others have said, shops in the metro areas are the most picked over, so I probably won't go in the Tokyo/Yokohama area. Mostly Nagoya.

Are you mostly interested in the games themselves only or also looking into the goodies that are in region-specific CEs? Their variety of figurines and such are amazing, though I always wonder where people keep all these things when the houses are fairly on the small side  ???

Mostly games, systems, and interesting controllers.  I am also interested in gachapon miniatures of game systems, and maybe some non-game-related  tchotchkes (Gatchaman phoenix or completing my medicom Tron toy collections).  Limited time to look, limited space to pack it back, and a mildly disapproving wife will govern a lot of that  :P

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 11:38:49 am »
My bro did go to Japan a few weeks ago, but he wasn't able to do any game-related stuff besides going to local arcades. But he does reccomend checking those out, as they have some really nice ones that are multistory and have specific game genres on each floor.

Yes!  We have visited arcades every time I have gone.  I have noticed them moving more toward redemption games (UFO Catcher/ etc) just like here.  I'm a fan of the Taiko no Tatsujin series, so I always try to get in a few games.  This time we will likely go to Disney, so arcade time may be less. ;D

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 12:13:52 pm »
As what some other's have said, the western collecting craze has really decimated Japan's second hand retro gaming market. I've even heard of people moving to Japan just to find and resell games on Ebay. If you can, hit up a shop called Super Potato. They are likely completely cleaned out of have adjusted their prices, but they used to be an absolute goldmine a few years ago. They are in Akihabara. I also think they have a location in Kyoto.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I am not getting my hopes up much.  There is a Super Potato in Nagoya (their most recently opened store I believe, but many have also been closing).  I will try to get to it.
These are my pickups from the last trip:
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,4571.msg56429.html#msg56429

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 02:41:00 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I am not getting my hopes up much.  There is a Super Potato in Nagoya (their most recently opened store I believe, but many have also been closing).  I will try to get to it.

Nice! I was really tempted to pick up some models from the Ghibli Museum, but found that a number of them could be ordered online (thus saving the packing hassle). My brother had gotten me a jigsaw puzzle from them a long time ago, so when I went, I bought the special picture frame they have for their puzzles. Of course, when I got home, I couldn't find the jigsaw puzzle itself  :-\
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 03:21:01 pm »
Nice! I was really tempted to pick up some models from the Ghibli Museum, but found that a number of them could be ordered online (thus saving the packing hassle). My brother had gotten me a jigsaw puzzle from them a long time ago, so when I went, I bought the special picture frame they have for their puzzles. Of course, when I got home, I couldn't find the jigsaw puzzle itself  :-\

Ain't that a bite in the old butt?  I hate when something like that happens!

And to Dark Ninja, I hope you enjoy your trip.  I've never had the opportunity to travel outside of the US but would love to do so some day.  And you made me LOL at "mildly disapproving wife."  I know exactly what you mean my friend. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 11:00:18 am »

Did most of my video game hunting today. Book Off Plus was pretty good to me. Picked up the remaining Taiko no Tatsujin PS2 games I needed plus Bomberman Battles, a boxed super famicom, a couple extra controllers, and SF Final Fantasy VI.  They had 4 shrink-wrapped Wiis with all accessories for 1000yen ($10), but I'll be having to get creative to get the sfami back already and don't really need another wii.
Super Potato had a lot of stuff, including a good selection of PCE Hu/CD/SCD, Saturn, DC, and Megadrive that Bookoff lacked, but their prices were quite high.
Didn't get to go to HardOff (yet). Not sure how much more game shopping I'll be able to do though.