Author Topic: Your collection in 5-years from now  (Read 3857 times)

Re: Your collection in 5-years from now
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 03:13:37 pm »
Hard to think about one year from now let alone 5. I don't really have any specific goals as my collection is complete. However that doesn't preclude me from buying interesting things as I come across them either in the wild or online. My collection has always grown and shrank over time as my interests shift, which is a reason it's hard to pinpoint where I'll be with the collection in 5 years. Hell I may not even want it or have it in 5 years. I'll be 51 by then and who knows what will be going on in my life that might change my view of collecting.

For now all I can say is that I'll expand it very slowly based on items that come up. Maybe some less played parts will be sold. I don't think I'd ever get rid of it all but never say never.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 04:10:11 pm »
Ideally I'd like to have sorted out our spare room by then so that I can move it into there and have more of a dedicated "game room".

As for actual games, I'd just like to have more SNES and NES games.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 06:27:25 pm »
My extra games are from buying whole lots from friends/neighbors or by not realizing I already owned it.Sometimes ill find a better copy and upgrade it. I dont collect doubles but over 30+ years thay add up.

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 07:15:15 pm »
I hope to have more of a proper collection.  Mine has always been pretty small, since I don't have a lot of money to keep up a collection, I kinda sell and trade stuff a good bit, so it shrinks every so often.  I hope to have more of a proper cartridge collection for NES, SNES, and N64.  Also I imagine my Zelda collection will be like...HOOOGE by then as it's already taking up like 4 shelves and the top of two combined book shelves lol

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 10:03:32 pm »
I'm probably close to 3500 games now(none of my PC games have been added yet). And like wartoy I've got about 10% of that in doubles, for the exact same reasons. I think in 5 years i'll be around 6000 games, and own just about every game console, handheld, and old pcs from the 70s & early 80s. Game room barely has space for it all now, so by then I doubt it'll be on display, probably boxed up by then with only a few popular items on display.

Only real guarantee is that i'll have the last 188 games I need to finish collecting 100% of the original Xbox games by then.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 11:28:57 pm »
In 5 years.... Hmmmm....

I'm going to guess ill be down to buying expensive/hard to find games. My NES collection will still be missing stadium events. I'll probably have a full Virtual Boy set and a finished MAME cabinet.

We'll just have to wait and see.

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 03:20:53 pm »
Based on my current interests, my collection in 5 years will be comprised of a Wii U, a copy of Fatal Frame V, and a copy of Star Fox Zero. And maybe Overwatch for the PC.

Yeah, it's epic. I know.

sin2beta

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 05:19:55 pm »
I imagine it will be similar to what it is now, just a little farther. I'm mainly working on setup. For instance, I just got an RGB start switch and would like to have everything setup to automatically play and record without having to swap wires. I also want a good enough sound setup to easily switch between speakers and headphones with minimal effort. Also, surround sound when needed. All consoles, modded or upgraded when possible. Such as the mpeg card for saturn, etc.

Game wise, I think I will mainly be farther along on the sega 8bit collection. Hopefully a full SG-1000 set (minus crazy expensive ones) and then a full set of SMS and GG north america games.

I'll probably have more 360 games due to being cheap. I'll also probably get an xbox one. However, I'm still trying to determine if it is actually collector friendly. I don't play games usually until years after they come out. Not sure if this works with the Xbox One.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 06:18:21 pm »
I will be pessimist and say "almost the same" ^^” I have been unemployed for 3 years, because of my country crisis, and I began to see only the worst side.

I’m ignoring just the Steam in this case. I often receive keys for my YT channel, so in 5 years I should have about 650 games.

telly

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 06:20:18 pm »
I'll probably have more 360 games due to being cheap. I'll also probably get an xbox one. However, I'm still trying to determine if it is actually collector friendly. I don't play games usually until years after they come out. Not sure if this works with the Xbox One.

It depends on the game, but yes, you can play it years from now. If I'm not mistaken, both the Xbox and PS4 are installing the games from the disc to the harddrive, then use the disc that unlock the game. Some games like on Rare Replay actually do download online from the store though, with the backwards compatability games.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 08:31:42 am »
I'm thinking my collection five years down the road won't have a remarkable change. A few games will be added, a few games will likely be removed. There will likely be some day one releases I can't live without. Chances are it will be greater than what it is now, but not by much. And that's perfect.

My only gaming goal was to purchase and play Panzer Dragoon Saga, and I accomplished that goal a few months ago.

gf78

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 09:57:05 am »
Honestly....I don't know.  I've currently taken my focus away from collecting video games to focus on Star Wars and comic books.  My oldest daughter has also taken a keen interest in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so I've been picking up the Marvel movies to watch together. 

Time is at a premium these days, so I don't have the time to invest in gaming.  It makes absolutely zero sense for me to pick up modern games for full retail at or around launch when I could wait a few months to a year and get them for half or less.  I haven't even finished Doom yet and I've barely scratched the surface of Uncharted 4. 

From a collector's standpoint, I have my holy grail 20th Anniversary PS4 and my second most awesome system, the Gold Taco Bell PS4.  There are maybe a dozen or so Star Wars games I want to pick up, but I'm going to be pretty picky about getting them complete.

Speaking of which, if anyone has a copy of Obi-Wan's Adventures complete in box for the Game Boy Color, I'm accepting donations!   ;)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

sin2beta

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 07:11:29 pm »

It depends on the game, but yes, you can play it years from now. If I'm not mistaken, both the Xbox and PS4 are installing the games from the disc to the harddrive, then use the disc that unlock the game. Some games like on Rare Replay actually do download online from the store though, with the backwards compatability games.

That's good to know. And kind of what I was seeing. One just has to be careful on what game they buy.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

doafan

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 11:38:47 am »
First of all I really hope that can be alive in five years and about my collection want to believe that will have at least the 500 titles, it's kinda hard to me to purchase games practically can only purchase two of them every month, but won't gonna stop neither purchasing or playing, got the idea that I'll become older faster if I stop playing  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

Warmsignal

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 11:49:25 am »
What do you think/hope your collection will be like in 5-years from now?

How many games do you hope to have? What collections will you hope to be finished with and what new collecting goals do you think/hope you'll be working on? Feel free to answer these however you want, just be as descriptive about your collection as possible.

For me I am hoping to be 95% done with collecting NTSC games other than newer titles and probably some very expensive/rare titles that I haven't found or haven't bit the bullet and purchased. I'll hopefully be focusing collecting imports (especially Saturn, Dreamcast, and PS2 imports), completing my cartridge games (particularly for the n64), and I want to have at least a few Arcade cabs at this time too (currently have none). If I am 95% or more done with collecting, I'll easily be at over 2000 games as well. While it doesn't directly relate to games, I'll also have to have a place of my own at this point instead of renting since I have big plans for how my game room will look some day. Renting unfortunately does not permit me to have the freedom or money to do this now. Those arcade cabs take up a lot of space too.

I hope that it'll be leaner and meaner. It's hard to put a number on what it would end up at, because I often have thoughts of purging some stuff from it, particularly modern things, perhaps some games that I try out and just don't like. In 5 years time I really, really, hope that I'll be long done with active collecting. With only another 200 - 300 games left in my sights. If I can stay focused that is, because lately interest in game hunting is really waning. I've got my WoN case and that's really my game room in itself and I'm happy with it.

My next collecting goal will be to focus exclusively on my music collection.  :P