Author Topic: Just started my collection. But looking for opinions.  (Read 4047 times)

Re: Just started my collection. But looking for opinions.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 09:56:11 pm »
I would skip repro carts all together and just get a flash cart. They cost about $200, but you have almost the entire SNES or Genesis library in one cartridge.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 10:02:36 pm »
I'm going to break ranks here and say rock the repros.

Search etsy.com and you'll find some repro makers charging $30-50. Some with manuals, boxes, and everything. All clearly marked on the label as repros.

As long as it's clearly labeled a repro I do not see the problem.

If there is no physical or digital copies actively for sale by the rights holders your money is not going to the rights holders either way.

Some have become available legitimately in digital form via the WiiU eshop:
Mighty Final Fight
Earthbound
Megaman

Just to name a few.

I've done the emulation thing via PC or the Retron 5. It's close but not the same. WiiU eshop and Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection are the best emulation I've come across so far.

My entire (authentic) NES Megaman cart collection is on the shelf in repro cases. Looks great and I'm not loosing any sleep or causing anyone physical harm with it.

pacpix

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 10:37:25 pm »
As long as it's clearly labeled a repro I do not see the problem.

This is the most important part to me as well.  It genuinely bothers/scares me that there are repros out there that are not marked as such. 

While I don't ever see myself purchasing a repro of a game that had a commercial release, I do own a repro of The Legend of Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets and absolutely love it.  I could have emulated it just fine (and I have and continue to do so with other games), but it is such a cool collector's piece and I love having it on my shelf.

If you don't care about having individual physical carts and are interested in a lot of expensive games I would definitely recommend a flash cart.  I have never owned one, but I have heard many great things about them and you still get to experience the game on the original hardware.

On a sidenote, we are pretty relaxed on rules here, but watch the language in the thread.  Homophobic slurs are completely uncalled for
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 03:09:54 am »
well and i would only want a cart that was a color Nintendo never used for that system so its obvious, and yes i have seen the etsy.com ones that are customizable as far as cart color... ill skip the all in one cart....I would rather buy a repo cart once a year. And shoot if i ever find a legit "little samson" cart that thing is going in an airtight display box.

I use emulators on newer consoles playstation and newer but 8-bit and 16-bit just isnt the same. Give me original hardware and a tube TV.

As far as emulators I am actually making a Gameboy Zero(gameboy with a raspberry zero in it) and a NES PC(mini ITX mobo in a old broken NES)
Both in various stages atm just time and money on those.

And I get both sides of the opinion...I had already made up my mind it was more of to see what people thought...and there is no wrong answer.

kashell

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 08:35:54 am »
You get offended way to easy dude.

On a sidenote, we are pretty relaxed on rules here, but watch the language in the thread.  Homophobic slurs are completely uncalled for

It's not a matter of "getting offended way to[sic] easy." It's a matter of not using hateful language.

gf78

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 09:49:02 am »
Whatever floats your boat, cloud1771.
If you like the look of repros, go for it. There is no moral authority in this hobby, which might hinder you from going this direction. I have a very nice repro of "Metal Warriors (SNES)" as well. A nice NTSC cart in a very nice shiny repro box looking almost exactly like the original. I know it drives purists and collectorfags nuts everytime, they see or hear about those repros but you are a free individual and you should do whatever you like and not what others like or don't like.
This hobby is about fun and enjoyment for the individual collector, not about becoming compliant to what the community tells the people to do.

What the F is a "collectorfag?"  And have to agree with kash, your statement is offensive.

I'm not offendered and in fact, it takes a lot to offend me.  But it's impolite, improper and against the rules to make slurs of that nature.  I'm not gay myself, but there are most assuredly members that are. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

dreama1

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 09:51:10 am »

It's not a matter of "getting offended way to[sic] easy." It's a matter of not using hateful language.
Just banter.

kashell

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 09:52:21 am »
It's not banter when it uses words like that.

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 09:57:46 am »
Pretty sure that colloquialism came from 4chan, scum of the earth.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 09:58:26 am »
Can we just agree to not use stuff like that?  Call them fuckers and everyone is fine.  Bitches, assholes, etc.  Use any language you like, but leave slurs out of it just for the sake of everyone on the forums. 

This is a pretty chill place.  Let's try not to mess with that vibe.  Please.

kashell

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 10:07:46 am »
I'm not too familiar with 4chan, but if they use language like that then that's disturbing. Regardless of where it came from, it's just as turf said: this place is usually chill and swearing is something everyone does without anyone getting bent out of shape. However, offensive slurs shouldn't be used. Period.

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 10:26:51 am »
Calm down everybody. Don't get a heart attack.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:38:11 am by blurks »

gf78

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 10:52:51 am »
scum of the earth.

Wasn't that a Rob Zombie song?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Flashback2012

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2016, 12:19:03 pm »
I'm okay with Repros if two criteria are met...

1. It's a game that was never released in NA
2. It does NOT use a sacrificed cart of a prior release

There's a guy at the flea market who's got some repros for sale in and shows them off in a spinning counter display. There's some in there of games that didn't come out here like Super Mario Bros. on Genesis but he also has repros of games that did see a NA release such as Castlevania: Dracula X on SNES and Contra: Hard Corps on Genesis. They're all made from sac carts as well.  >:(

I'm not one to tell people what to do with their money and I assume my anti-repro stance comes from the fact that I've been actively collecting for over 20+ years. Back then, piracy was something of an oddity and isn't openly mainstream/accepted like it is today. If you're going to bootleg it's whatever to me, I'd just prefer that any repro is clearly labeled as such (the ones I mentioned above certainly are not) and that they not use sac carts of existing games. I realize there's a glut of sports games out there taking up space but that still doesn't make it right.  :P

soera

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2016, 12:51:10 pm »
Here is my stance. Repros are definitely a nice alternative to some games. If there had been an option to get a Rayearth repro before I finally found the copy I have, I would have gotten it. I honestly think that most people are against repros cause of the value of some games. If all games were worth nothing, who would really care about repros?

I actually also prefer that they sacrifice sports games to make them too. One less sports game on a shelf = win.