Author Topic: iPhone or Android: Which is your choice and why?  (Read 2314 times)

gf78

iPhone or Android: Which is your choice and why?
« on: June 08, 2016, 01:00:52 pm »
Just for fun...and because the forum is kinda dead right now and work sucks!~   :P

My choice is Android, specifically the Galaxy line.  I've owned every iPhone from the OG model to the 5S, and now both of my daughters have the 6S.  After the 5S, I switched over to my first ever Android, the Galaxy S5 Active.  And I have never looked back since.  Sure there are some things that Apple has/does that I wish my Galaxy S7 Edge (current phone) did/had.  I miss buying one game/app and using across multiple devices.  I wish Android firmware updates weren't beholden to your carrier as with iPhone, Apple releases an update and all phones get it simultaneously. 

Other than that?  For me personally the S7 Edge blows the biggest & best Apple has to offer in every way. 

Waterproof for one.  How many phones have been demolished by a dunk in the crapper or being caught out in a heavy rain?  No need for a LifeProof case here.

Samsung Pay is like Apple Pay...except it works any place that has a card swipe.  Retailers don't have to have special equipment and it's simple & quick on the S7.  Samsung even rewards you for signing up and using Samsung pay for the first time with a gift card. 

The Super AMOLED display has a significantly higher resolution than the iPhone, which especially comes in handy when paired with the Gear VR headset to minimize the "screen door effect."  Looking at my daughter's iPhone screen through the lenses on my Gear VR (just to see what the screen looked like really, really close-up) really highlighted the difference in resolution. 

The S7 Edge (as well as all other Galaxy phones) uses a standard micro-USB connector that you can buy a charger or cable for anywhere dirt-cheap as opposed to Apple's expensive lightning cables. 

The S7 has expandable memory in the form of Micro SD card storage.  So adding 32 gigs of storage to my S7 is about $20 give or take depending where you buy your SD card.  The iPhone on the other hand is $100 more to go from a 32 to a 64 gig model.

And speaking of VR, Apple has no version of VR gaming or apps.  Niche product, fad, non-mainstream or whatever you want to call it, I cannot tell you how much fun I've had strapping that thing to my face and just exploring virtual environments.  Luckily so far, I haven't become ill while playing which bodes well for my thoughts on picking up PlayStation VR.   ;D

Another huge feature I cannot overstate is wireless charging.  It is one of the biggest conveniences for me to not have to fiddle with wires in the middle of the night, before bed or getting up in the morning.  Just set the phone on the plate and it charges. 

Ringtones can be downloaded easily and free from any variety of app, unlike iPhone where you either have to specifically buy a ringtone or use your computer to chop down an audio file, rename it with a different extension and copy it back over to your phone. 

Widgets such as weather, clock, distance walked and a sea of others are available on Android and not on the iPhone.  You can even customize your app icon grid by size, number of rows & columns and you can place an icon wherever you want.  On iPhone, it will automatically drag your app icon back to whatever the first available slot is.   ???

On top of these conveniences and features, throw in things like live wallpaper, emulator support and a wide variety of Bluetooth controller options and it's a no brainer IMO.

So...what is your favorite and why?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: iPhone or Android: Which is your choice and why?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:38:40 pm »
android for sure, Apple makes an overpriced inferior product all around. A galaxy S5 can out perform the 6s.  The galaxy S7 has Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 with 4GB ram, blisteringly fast. while the iPhone 6s struggles to make 2GB ram. 

Samsung has a much more durable phone with the IP67 Water/dust proof certification along with Gorilla glass 4 Quad AMOLED 4K display that is virtually shatter proof.  The galaxy survives drop tests much better. And if you get the S7 Active it will be pretty much indestructible. 

A gust of wind and iphones break. You have to spend ridiculous money on a otterbox just to protect it. They make very fragile screens. I still have my Galaxy Tab 3 and I dropped it a million times and it looks like its new. Meanwhile my ipad air dropped once is toast. Will never buy apple again. The durability of apples is a joke. My friend has been through 3. However their customer service isn't all that bad if you buy the plan.  Apple the fruit has more durability though.

The galaxy has a better camera with the optical image stabilization, 4k video. Crisp vibrant Samsung colors.  It costs a little less and android 8.0 Touch Wiz destroys IOS interface. 

Google Play Store has way more free apps then IPhone does. For example angry birds and angry birds star wars are 1.00 on the App store but in google play store they are free.99. With IPhone it would cost like 50 bucks if you wanted to load it up with all your favorite games and apps. Meanwhile android offers you the same apps for free.

Battery life on the S7 active or even the S6 active just obliterates the iPhone 6 battery life. IPhone 6s has a 1715 MhA battery. Which is a joke. base S6 has  2550 MhA battery. Which lasts days on standby.

IPhone has no expandable storage or upgradable memory.....  Enough said lol

IPhone doesn't look nearly as good, even though this is opinionated and less important of a stat, the Samsung galaxy edge design with that sexy curve and the virbrant bold colors of the 4k AMOLED Display is just beautiful. IPhone is the same ol' rectangular brick looking fossil that kept the same design since iPhone 4s. 

Of course variety as well,  Nokia Lumia, Sony Xperia, LG V10, google nexus 5x, Motorolla droid turbo 2 ect... all make fantastic phones and the variety and options are endless. To fit specific needs or budget scales.  With apple you get.... ummm idk.... an iPhone lol. 

Apple hasn't innovated at all since Steve Jobs died, with steve jobs apple died as well. And they are a shell of what they once were. They are just doing all they can to be competitive. But android has proven time and time again that it boasts much more manafacturers making much more dependable and statistically capable phones than apple can dream of.

Android master race.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:43:30 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

gf78

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 01:55:34 pm »
I should have probably also added the following to my reasons.

1  The camera on the S7 is a better all-around shooter than the iPhone 6S+.  When it comes to low-light photos, the iPhone falls apart.  The wider apperature on the S7 takes in more light and also gives you a better field of view.

2  Casting to your television is a breeze with an Android.  You have several options such as Chromecast which costs less than $35 and the Nexus Player if you want something more for gaming and built-in apps.  Your option for casting your iPhone to your television is an Apple TV which is $150.  You could buy a Nexus Player and a Chromecast, get the same features and work on two televisions and still have a bit of money left over.

3  iPhones are pretty fragile, no two ways about it.  Any phone can and has a very good possibility of breaking if dropped.  But you see a ton more broken iPhone screens than every other phone combined. 

4  iPhones cost a lot more money than competitive Android handsets.  Even the premium S7 Edge costs less than a "comparable" 32GB iPhone and that's before factoring in buying one with more storage.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

kashell

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 02:19:59 pm »
Flip phones are better than all of them.

But yeah, I've been a Droid user for a long time. Unfortunately, I think my time with them is running out since each Droid I have used has given me problems. The Xperia Play was neat, but it was so clunky. My Sony Ion had issues with other people hearing me when I made calls. And now my Motorola Moto G is slow and its keyboard is annoyingly small. Maybe I haven't had the right Droid yet, or maybe it's time to go towards basic and get an iPhone.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 02:40:57 pm »

But yeah, I've been a Droid user for a long time. Unfortunately, I think my time with them is running out since each Droid I have used has given me problems. The Xperia Play was neat, but it was so clunky. My Sony Ion had issues with other people hearing me when I made calls. And now my Motorola Moto G is slow and its keyboard is annoyingly small. Maybe I haven't had the right Droid yet, or maybe it's time to go towards basic and get an iPhone and pray.

Fixed

kashell

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 03:15:13 pm »
Girl please, the only thing I pray for these days is a localization for a Tales of title.

gf78

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 03:38:56 pm »

But yeah, I've been a Droid user for a long time. Unfortunately, I think my time with them is running out since each Droid I have used has given me problems. The Xperia Play was neat, but it was so clunky. My Sony Ion had issues with other people hearing me when I made calls. And now my Motorola Moto G is slow and its keyboard is annoyingly small. Maybe I haven't had the right Droid yet, or maybe it's time to go towards basic and get an iPhone.

I've been extremely happy with Samsung phones.  My wife and I have both upgraded simultaneously to the S5 Active, S6 and S7 Edge.  Prior to that, I had been an iSheep and she used a Galaxy S3, then a LG G3.  By far, she has been happier with the Galaxy phones.

And just look at it....

And this!

kashell

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 03:48:57 pm »
Damn, that is a sechzee phone. I'll see if there are any specials currently running on it. This Moto G of mine is just giving me a headache.

gf78

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 04:44:02 pm »
Damn, that is a sechzee phone. I'll see if there are any specials currently running on it. This Moto G of mine is just giving me a headache.

My wife got hers and mine was free. Att is running a promo. On top of that, Samsung is doing a father's day promo and giving you a free Gear VR and $50 Oculus store credit per new phone purchased from 06/01 through I believe 06/16. Great deal!

maximo310

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 03:19:50 am »
I've been a android user since I got rid of my flip phone several years ago.  I currently have a ZTE Warp Elite from Boost, which is a pretty decent mid range phone for $150 non contract, along with a family plan for my bro and I. 
Android has been better for the following reasons:
- MicroSD card support- It acts as a supplement to the internal storage, its easy to use and transfer files, and easily replaceable.  With the IPhone, you limited to the internal storage of the phone, and each upgrade is pretty expensive ( which is a pretty common thing with apple)
- Different file formats- This a lifesaver for me, especially with music. I have no problem listening to music files, whether its mp3, flac, or wav files.   Iphones have the problem where it syncs up to Itunes, and only allows you to play that library. Other music is erased, and I believe that requires a bit of work to get around with other apps.
- Screen size-  Up until the Iphone 6plus, most Iphones had really small screens that were horrible for people with big hands, like me. Even though the 6 plus now has a 5.5 inch, I have the same screen size for my cheaper phone.
-OS  Over time, Android continues to become more optimized, and feels pretty smooth for the most part, and works on any phone. On iphones, ios updates sometimes remove a bunch of features from previous phones, and they suffer huge performance downgrades. It does still run well as long as the iphone isn't too old.
-Cost options- Although apple may somewhat add this with the apple iphone se, the regular models are pretty expensive and are obiviously for the high range, whereas android allows to have multiple options

Other apps like emulators, are much easier to setup and use on Android vs iphones, so it makes it pretty handy to take on the go. But affordability is the biggest factor, since I can afford to upgrade every 1.5-2 years, thanks to reduced cost versus an iphone.

The galaxy s7 edge is a high end phone that I've tried, and was pretty awesome when I tested out. Unforuntately, its out of my price range for now.

rayne315

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 12:13:50 pm »
old nokia's are the best guys. I've NEVER broken a nokia, even when I purposely spiked it into the ground.  but no seriously I have an Iphone 5 and I hate it. its in the process of slowly breaking and I cant wait till id does because im swapping to ANYTHING that isn't Iphone. the worst thing is the proprietary lightning chargers that cost $20+ and when you go a cheap $5 3rd party one their is a good chance that in a few months they push out another update that somehow recognizes these as 3rd party and patches out their ability to work with your phone. I cant tell you how many chargers ive gone through because apple makes them the cheapest and the better cheaper 3rd party ones no longer work for my phone.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:18:24 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 01:02:55 pm »
old nokia's are the best guys. I've NEVER broken a nokia, even when I purposely spiked it into the ground.  but no seriously I have an Iphone 5 and I hate it. its in the process of slowly breaking and I cant wait till id does because im swapping to ANYTHING that isn't Iphone. the worst thing is the proprietary lightning chargers that cost $20+ and when you go a cheap $5 3rd party one their is a good chance that in a few months they push out another update that somehow recognizes these as 3rd party and patches out their ability to work with your phone. I cant tell you how many chargers ive gone through because apple makes them the cheapest and the better cheaper 3rd party ones no longer work for my phone.

Going through this right now with both of daughters iPhones.  Every time they plug them in to charge, the phones pop up with a message along the lines that "This cable is not authorized by Apple and may not work as intended" or some such bullshit.  The phone refuses to charge, so they have to go through this crap of leaving the cable plugged into the phone, unplugging it from the AC adapter, plug it back in and it works until the next time.  I've personally had iPhone lightning cables go bad on me.  Brand name ones.  And you probably won't find someone more gentle with their possessions than I am!

The ONLY good thing about the lightning cables are they are completely reversible.  But in reality, is it that big of a deal to turn the micro-USB cable end if it's facing the wrong way when you go to plug your phone in?  We've gone through numerous cables and chargers for the iCrap products, but miraculously....the Micro-USB car charger from AT&T that I bought six years ago when I had a HTC Surround Windows Phone STILL.  WORKS.  In the house, I can grab any cable and/or charger from any number of devices and charge my phone.  Add in the fact that I don't even have to plug my phone in to charge it and can use any wireless charging plate from eBay that costs ten bucks and Apple can stick it.  Mind you, I don't use the cheapie charging plates but I have in the past and they work just fine with the only downside being they are a bit slower than the brand-name models.  But even if you want the latest Samsung fast-charge wireless charger, it's $60 at most if you can't find it on sale.  Two lightning cables that you will break within a year cost that much!   ::)

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 01:25:11 pm »
I kind of fancy myself as a technophile.  I had one of those unstoppable Nokia tiny phones for the longest time, then the concept of internet enabled phones kind of picked up.  I'm trying to remember for sure, I switched from ATT to Helio mobile and got the Helio Ocean, which was a phone that slid up/down and left/right, so you could have a full qwerty keyboard or the generic phone keypad.  This was pre-iPhone and that thing was the bomb.  Then iPhones became the big thing, this was back when Android was completely unusable, it was fan-fucking-tastic, smooth fucking swipe and touch stuff, fucking blew my mind compared to android phones.  You wanted open usability?  You had to jailbreak that little bitch, and then the world was your ocean... at the cost of performance of course, which was stupid.  Then android was totally usable, so we switched and my wife got the gimmicky HTC Evo 3D and I got the Samsung Galaxy S2, I absolutely fell in love with that phone, it was amazing, only downside was that the Android store was pretty weak at the time, but all of the open sourced goodness made it worth it.  But we were on Sprint, and that network is categorically horrible, so when our contract was coming to a close we switched over to ATT and got Samsung Galaxy Note 3s, these phones are the bees fucking knees, they make me so fucking peachy keen awesome dude, I'm still using it and it works like a boss 3 years later.

Fun story, the day I got my iphone, I accidentally dropped it on the sidewalk, everything was super duper, no cracked screen or anything.  Then I got home and dropped it like 3 inches off the ground on to super soft carpet, thing wouldn't turn on anymore.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 07:43:24 pm »
Android hands down. While I never had an iPhone i've had plenty of ipodss (including ipod touch) and I would constantly have freezing issues with them where the only solution I knew of was to let the battery drain completely. Plus the only one i've never had a problem with was my 80gb one and that disappeared on me. The very few times my android phones have ever frozen on me popped the back off removed the battery and restarted it. Also expandable memory... now that I think about it I'm  actually surprised Apple hasn't had a vita-style overpriced memory card yet.

pacpix

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 10:28:18 pm »
I have a soft spot for iOS since the 2nd gen iPod touch was the first "smart" device I ever owned and I loved it.  However, the two phones I have owned since ditching flip phones/keyboard phones have both been Android.  One of the biggest determinants for me is the option for external storage.  I also like the more open nature and customizability of the platform.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)