Author Topic: Do ESRB Ratings Need to Change Just a Bit?  (Read 2981 times)

amwolfmusic

Do ESRB Ratings Need to Change Just a Bit?
« on: June 09, 2016, 01:57:48 pm »
I've noticed ESRB ratings are out of place, I have a list of games and proof on how ridiculous it has gotten.

First up, Metroid, Prime and Fusion released on the same day. Their first release was in NA on Nov 17, 2002. Prime is rated T and Fusion is rated E. They got their ratings due to violence. VIOLENCE. What else? Tomb Raider Legend (GBA) is E10+(Violence). The DS version, which I presume is the same thing but different graphics, is rated T with MILD violence.

The Bayonetta series should have a rating of A considering everything that happens during this game...

Smash Bros. Meele is rated T (Comic Mischief, Mild Violence) Smash 4 is rated E10+ (Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief, Mild Suggestive Themes) These ratings should be switched. But, I guess it does show how our "shield" has weakened.

Best thing, I am unable to buy rated M games, (Only a couple years short no problem) I was with a legal adult, i.e. my dad, and I showed him two games I wanted to get for my Vita. Corpse Party Blood Drive (rated M for Blood, Partial Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Violence)  and Mortal Kombat (Rated M for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Partial Nudity, Strong Language) I got Mortal Kombat, but NOT Corpse Party, reason? Partial Nudity. Now my Dad read the ratings and he understands them to a T. They have these things in common, Blood, Partial Nudity, Strong Language, and Violence. I have a bunch of games with suggestive themes, that they have GIVEN me or ALLOWED me to buy. So no difference if I were to get it or not.

I go to a local game store and it doesn't matter the rating I can buy the game. I've bought Metal Gear Solid games from the store and the owner never bat an eyelash, he was like, "These games are rated M, you sure you won't be in any trouble?" I responded with "It's totally fine.". Now there are some games that deserve the ratings they hold, like GTA and Mario. But I feel like they should have their grading scale be "weak" on some games and strict on others.

aliensstudios

Re: Do ESRB Ratings Need to Change Just a Bit?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:01:53 pm »
The E-10+ rating didn't exist in those days otherwise Melee would have gotten it. I have a game called Legend of Kay Anniversary. The themes are rather violent and Kay's master routinely drinks alcohol; to the point where he's drunk throughout most of the game. The words bastard, shit and ass are also used. Guess what rating the game has? E-10+. I agree the ESRB system needs to be changed, or gotten rid of altogether in favor of a new one.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

amwolfmusic

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 02:10:53 pm »
The E-10+ rating didn't exist in those days otherwise Melee would have gotten it. I have a game called Legend of Kay Anniversary. The themes are rather violent and Kay's master routinely drinks alcohol; to the point where he's drunk throughout most of the game. The words bastard, shit and ass are also used. Guess what rating the game has? E-10+. I agree the ESRB system needs to be changed, or gotten rid of altogether in favor of a new one.

It could have gotten E and just getting rid of the ESRB isn't the way to go. Either introduce the public by going in a gamestore and saying, "we'll show you a short 20-30 second clip from a game, tell us what rating you think is suitable." and when you're done watching it, it was like GTA but a different name and company, "Rated M, definitely." They write it down and after a week let's say, they go through and if it was a majority of rating M, then they could work around it, like why? what makes it this rating? and the like.

telly

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 03:00:42 pm »

What would you change about the ESRB? Just curious :)
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 03:12:31 pm »
I wouldn't change anything.  It's a parent's responsibility regardless of rating system to determine whether or not they want their kid playing the game.  If your parent just reads "M" and says no, then your parent is stupid and doesn't care to know why you shouldn't have something or know their child well enough to be able to make the decision of whether or not a game is appropriate.

My parents didn't care and let us have what we want, thus, my brother is a turd burglar.  I had friends whose parents didn't care and just said no based on a letter.

Knowledge is power, bitches.

I used to work at Gamestop and it always urked me when parents would just buy a game because they didn't care, but it also urked me when I heard a parent tell a 9 year old no to an E10+ game, with no knowledge of why it's rated that way.

Me: This game is rated "M" for Mature, are you sure you want to let your kid play this game?
Customer: Yeah, I don't care, whatever makes him happy and leave me alone.

Kid: I want this game, Mom.
Parent: No, it's E10+.
Kid: But it isn't even that bad.
Parent: I don't care, it says 10 and you aren't 10, you can have it when you're 10.

Both of these scenarios are poor parenting, and I don't care if you disagree.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:16:30 pm by ctracy87 »

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 03:29:46 pm »
That's the first time I've heard someone say that Bayonetta should have gotten an Ao rating; it wouldn't even come close compared to some other games. Honestly, ESRB is pretty decent compared to other countries' rating systems, and mostly make the right calls on stuff.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 06:47:12 pm »
After starting to go through Sega Superstars Tennis today, I noticed that the DS version is E but all the other ones are E-10+.
http://esrb.org/ratings/search.aspx?from=home&titleOrPublisher=sega%20superstars%20tennis

The ratings appear to suggest that the DS game does not have the mild blood or mild suggestive themes of the other releases. Is this actually a thing?
Also what is the difference between mild cartoon violence and mild fantasy violence?

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 08:18:29 pm »

What would you change about the ESRB? Just curious :)
The way they rate the games I think is suspect. The ESRB doesn't even play the games they rate, they simply review questionnaires and watch beta footage. I understand this is a good way to get the rating out early but in lots of cases, a game's content can be changed 8 months before release significantly, but lots of games are rated that much in advance. For this reason, a game may be rated incorrectly. The way they rate digital and mobile games is a joke too. I understand it's difficult to assign ratings to the floods of games that hit marketplaces, so why not in digital games, does the game just release without a rating and surveys from players, which then can dictate the overall rating? Idk,it's a tough nut to crack. If they were to scrap the ESRB or change it, I think CERO has the most accurate rating system. 
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

amwolfmusic

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 09:36:00 pm »
After starting to go through Sega Superstars Tennis today, I noticed that the DS version is E but all the other ones are E-10+.
http://esrb.org/ratings/search.aspx?from=home&titleOrPublisher=sega%20superstars%20tennis

The ratings appear to suggest that the DS game does not have the mild blood or mild suggestive themes of the other releases. Is this actually a thing?
Also what is the difference between mild cartoon violence and mild fantasy violence?

I want to say Cartoon violence would be like Smash Bros golden hammer or in garfield comic strips on how he gets violent with oddy (is that how you spell his name?) and Fantasy to be like magic and the such.

I guess so, like I said before Fusion and Prime came out at the same time and both have different ratings but for the same reason. I've also found a loophole where some rated M games will be rated T but I found it to be quite Rare and just plain dumb, especially when they're the same exact game.

amwolfmusic

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 09:44:48 pm »
That's the first time I've heard someone say that Bayonetta should have gotten an Ao rating; it wouldn't even come close compared to some other games. Honestly, ESRB is pretty decent compared to other countries' rating systems, and mostly make the right calls on stuff.

I have a younger sibling who looked at bayonetta's box and was like why is this not rated AO? I agree with him, it might not deserve the rating, but imagine a parent buys the game for a 10 year old who tbought the game was cool and asked for it. They go home and start up the game and get overloaded with cussing and boobs? exactly.

I know the ESRB is decent compared to other countries, but a Tomb Raider game, really only deserves a rating of T in a lot of cases. I almost never have an adult when I go buy games because they're like yeah sure whatever go by yourself. I go over and pickup Rise of the Tomb Raider, ehh, sorry ma'am that's rated M. Im just standing there going WTF? Its just Tomb Raider.

They should at least get there hands on a demo and future cut scenes and work with that, public opnion too would also be a good idea.

amwolfmusic

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 09:56:12 pm »
I wouldn't change anything.  It's a parent's responsibility regardless of rating system to determine whether or not they want their kid playing the game.  If your parent just reads "M" and says no, then your parent is stupid and doesn't care to know why you shouldn't have something or know their child well enough to be able to make the decision of whether or not a game is appropriate.

My parents didn't care and let us have what we want, thus, my brother is a turd burglar.  I had friends whose parents didn't care and just said no based on a letter.

Knowledge is power, bitches.

I used to work at Gamestop and it always urked me when parents would just buy a game because they didn't care, but it also urked me when I heard a parent tell a 9 year old no to an E10+ game, with no knowledge of why it's rated that way.

Me: This game is rated "M" for Mature, are you sure you want to let your kid play this game?
Customer: Yeah, I don't care, whatever makes him happy and leave me alone.

Kid: I want this game, Mom.
Parent: No, it's E10+.
Kid: But it isn't even that bad.
Parent: I don't care, it says 10 and you aren't 10, you can have it when you're 10.

Both of these scenarios are poor parenting, and I don't care if you disagree.

They have that small thing by the desk that just tells you about the ratings, and what they are for. I wish they had something that was viewable, I never noticed the ESRB rating thing for YEARS! Its so out of place, if they want parents to know about it, on the doors there should be a paper that says "PARENTS CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY! Check the ESRB ratings and make sure they are sutable for your children." or something along those lines.

I agree with you, when a parent just gets a rated M game to keep their kid happy means there kid was being a dick to their parents by begging and pleading. But parents that just say no to a 9 year old for a E10+ is like saying you are a kid unable to go to the bathroom by yourself, bitch get your hands away from that child, and quit being a helicopter parent.

When I was younger I played a couple rated M games, but they were low key rated M, fairly worthy of a rating T.

I dont dissagree with you, you're quite right in my opinion, but the ESRB should at least have a Public input in my opnion.

kashell

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 08:44:51 am »
I never really found an issue with ESRB. However, the games I played growing up weren't as violent as others. The ESRB could use some modification, but for the most part I don't see too many issues with it. As long as parents do their research and don't act-a-fool, then all is good.

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 10:00:39 am »
From what I read it is kind of a trust system.  ESRB trusts that the publishers/developers are providing all pertinent information for ESRB to make their decision.  So we aren't talking about a trailer and a survey, we are talking about basically a novel of information and a DVD full of videos showing all of the content and situations that would make the decision.

As for a game getting its rating 8 months in advance, I'm fairly certain companies submit to ESRB multiple times through the process, and a company can, before ESRB even reviews it, state a game will be E/T/M/etc. because that is what they are aiming for, and if the ESRB rates it above what they are aiming for, they will go cut content.

amwolfmusic

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 11:02:37 am »
I never really found an issue with ESRB. However, the games I played growing up weren't as violent as others. The ESRB could use some modification, but for the most part I don't see too many issues with it. As long as parents do their research and don't act-a-fool, then all is good.

Yeah but most parents don't want to invest time in something like that, they would rather say yes just to shut their kid up and keep them busy during the summer while they work, or look at the rating without even reading why it has gotten that rating, maybe for comic mischief, and be like oh, hmm, nope, your 9, not 10, you can't get this game. It's like a blow to the kid, let's say they like Kirby and want Kirby's return to Dreamland. Nope.

Plus I think that games like Tomb Raider and Halo getting a M rating quite stupid, I have a five year old sibling who loves to play Tomb Raider, granted, they just like to move around in the world ans stuff, my parents were like Oh yeah it's fine, it's just Tomb Raider.

And what type of modification are you suggesting?

kashell

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 11:18:05 am »

Yeah but most parents don't want to invest time in something like that, they would rather say yes just to shut their kid up and keep them busy during the summer while they work, or look at the rating without even reading why it has gotten that rating, maybe for comic mischief, and be like oh, hmm, nope, your 9, not 10, you can't get this game. It's like a blow to the kid, let's say they like Kirby and want Kirby's return to Dreamland. Nope.

Plus I think that games like Tomb Raider and Halo getting a M rating quite stupid, I have a five year old sibling who loves to play Tomb Raider, granted, they just like to move around in the world ans stuff, my parents were like Oh yeah it's fine, it's just Tomb Raider.

And what type of modification are you suggesting?

If parents don't want to invest the time before making a purchasing decision, than that's the parents' fault. Of course, I've never met anyone in all of my years of gaming that follows the rating systems to the letter when purchasing a game. In other words, I never heard of someone denying their kid an E10 if they're only nine years old or denying them a T game if they're 12 years old.

On the other hand, I've seen many occasions where the parents don't give a flying fig about an M rating. Again, this is more of the parents wanting to shut their nagging kid up about a certain game. Like ctracy said, parents need to do their research before buying a game. It could be something as simple as reading the back of the box and looking at the screenshots.

As for modification, they simply need to research the product. Mega Man X4 is rated E, but there are animated scenes with blood and incidents of using swear words. Actually, I'm sure it's oil but it's a blood-red color. Breath of Fire III is rated T, but there are only a few pixels of blood, very brief pixelated nudity and no swearing. Just taking a bit more time to see what the game has would help with their accuracy.