Author Topic: What do you think the best year was for gaming?  (Read 2537 times)

dreama1

What do you think the best year was for gaming?
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:18:57 am »
What do you think the best year was for gaming? Or had the highest output of quality games in a single year?

Re: What do you think the best year was for gaming?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 12:39:21 pm »
das a hard question

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 01:20:42 pm »
What do you think the best year was for gaming? Or had the highest output of quality games in a single year?

What do u think?

stealthrush

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 06:53:36 pm »

Best year would be hard to say, perhaps transitioning period into 32-bit software but that could be debated on the quality of games VS. originality of games venturing into new territory.

My all-time favorite video game decades would be tied with 1991, 1992 and 1993.

Many great titles that were on the market that were packed full of excitement and replay-ability!

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 07:12:43 pm »
A year would be hard to pinpoint, but i think the 2000's was an amazing decade for gaming.

dreama1

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 01:47:25 am »

What do u think?
1988. or maybe 1995. It had the highest quality SNES/Genesis games that would ever be made, and 32bit gen start with the consoles that seemed to have lived and died that same year showed some dream like magic I cant quite verbalize into words. But something that'll never be seen again. Just the fact that the Atari Jaguar/jag cd/ sega 32x was still active has to be somewhat amusing at least to me. Kind of haunting even these dead/failed 32 bit consoles that their power never scratched the surface of what was possible. The what if question is always a tragic one. 1995 kind of immortalizes them to me with hope and what lies over the hills in gaming that anything was possible.

Of course the reality was a lot darker in the end. It was the year the beast that was mainstream really began to grab hold and corner the gaming world, and laid the ground work for the 3 definitive juggernauts (the 80s and 90s felt like the world wars in gaming while with the 3 gaints now it's just a proxy war with hardware not that radically different, and not loyalties to a brand), and the end of bit wars, and niche hardware.
or maybe it was 2004. Halo 2, GTA, Half life 2,  ninja gaiden, total war, far cry, thief, DOOM 3 and WoW.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 02:08:23 am by dreama1 »

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 02:02:50 am »

What do u think?
1988. or maybe 1995. It had the highest quality SNES/Genesis games that would ever be made, and 32bit gen start with the consoles that seemed to have lived and died that same year showed some dream like magic I cant quite verbalize into words. But something that'll never be seen again. Just the fact that the Atari Jaguar/jag cd/ sega 32x was still active has to be somewhat amusing at least to me. Kind of haunting even these dead/failed 32 bit consoles that their power never scratched the surface of what was possible. The what if question is always a tragic one. 1995 kind of immortalizes them to me with hope and what lies over the hills in gaming that anything was possible.

Of course the reality was a lot darker in the end. It was the year the beast that was mainstream really began to grab hold and corner the gaming world, and laid the ground work for the 3 definitive juggernauts, and the end of bit wars, and niche hardware.
or maybe it was 2004. Halo 2, GTA, Half life 2,  ninja gaiden, total war, far cry, thief, DOOM 3 and WoW.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 08:29:56 am »
For me it was when u could go online, and take on other people. Not sure when that was.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 09:15:53 pm »
It's too difficult to pinpoint one year, but I will say that my favorite era of gaming for games, hardware and the way the industry as a whole was, was between 1994 and 2004.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 12:54:10 am »
I think 2000 was my favorite year  :).  Marvel vs Capcom 2 was released, banjo tooie,  the playstation 2 was released.  Majora's mask.  Kirby crystal shards, tekken tag among others.  I remember being a kid and being so overwhelmed with all the releases. It was the prime of gaming for me.

shfan

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 06:24:46 pm »
Somewhere around 91-93, the golden era of 2D before those Super Knowledgeable Wunder-Peeps (TM) who form the games industry decided that NOBODY wants 2D any more, everbody wants hideous 3D that looks like a bunch of kids grabbed some coloured card, glue and a handicam and animated it. Never mind the fact that 3D and 2D "insert genre here" can play completely differently, not only consigning a viewpoint to the dustbin but countless types of games with it. I LOVE those guys.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 07:52:31 pm »
You people are all way off. The 80's was the last glorious decade of video gaming. Period. Mike drop. See ya!  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:54:28 pm by atarileaf »

dreama1

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 08:19:52 pm »
You people are all way off. The 80's was the last glorious decade of video gaming. Period. Mike drop. See ya!  ;) ;D
Which year?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 08:24:02 pm »
1958: When William Higgenbotham introduced Tennis For Two to the world and invented the idea of video games. Without that, none of the rest of it would exist.

sin2beta

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 08:25:41 pm »
1993 for me. In the words of Jason Heine on the All Gen Gamers Podcast. "Someone drop me off in 1993 and leave me the f@*k alone."

Mortal Kombat 2. Virtua Fighter, Samurai Showdown, NBA Jam, Kirby's Adventure, Mario All Stars, Sonic CD, Doom, and mega man x after just a cursory glance at wikipedia.

Plus, you have all the great holiday games from 1992... May be cheating, so I'm not listing them. But I feel like it was mostly downhill after 1993. Not huge drops to where nothing was good ever again. But it was never topped.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c