Author Topic: SteelBooks, art books, stickers, soundtracks... what game swag do you like?  (Read 2858 times)

desocietas

I run into it occasionally in comments (why do I even bother reading them) or tweets to announcements of any goodies a publisher throws in for a pre-order bonus, launch edition, or collector's edition.

I've noticed in the last few months that there are some people who just don't like SteelBook cases. I think they're pretty neat, personally, though I'd like it to be included in addition to the regular box, not as a replacement.

I think the recent trend of stickers is pretty lame as I'm not the sort to put stickers on my stuff, and they don't really hold up well for display or as a nice thing to show off. I love artbooks if they're done well, and I didn't care for soundtracks for a long time up until just about two years ago (when I started streaming) because I like playing the music from the soundtrack at the beginning and end of the cast.

Shirts can be cool, but it's almost always a men's large sized shirt, so I can never wear it. Figurines are sweet, but I never take them out of the box, really because I don't want to break up the collector's item (the whole package).

What do you all think? Is there swag you love or hate when you see it announced? Is there anything that turns you off completely?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:59:59 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

I've noticed in the last few months that there are some people who just don't like SteelBook cases. I think they're pretty neat, personally, though I'd like it to be included in addition to the regular box, not as a replacement.

This is how I feel about the steel book cases.

As for other things, it varies. I love it when they include music CDs because chances are the music in the game I'm getting is going to be pretty good. I don't like it when the CD is in a cardboard slip and not a case, though. I think those are cheap and are easy to damage.

Stickers are silly. Same thing with little collectibles like pins, buttons, mini-cloths and key chains.

As for art books, I like them but I'm starting to get tired of them. After going through them once, they end up in the shelf and hardly get noticed.

I love steelbooks. I wish they'd release them more often for games outside of like collector's editions.  Like for some games, I'd totally pay an extra 5 or 10 bucks for one.  I like stuff like...cloth maps or just large maps in general with the games that have one.  Soundtracks can be good too, particularly for games like Guilty Gear which has the best music.

I am a sucker for statues and sometimes action figures; if it's a game I have some remote interest in and the SE/CE has a statue, I am inclined to at least want it. Things like artbooks, stickers, and bags don't really do it for me, although they can be cool.

desocietas

I am a sucker for statues and sometimes action figures; if it's a game I have some remote interest in and the SE/CE has a statue, I am inclined to at least want it. Things like artbooks, stickers, and bags don't really do it for me, although they can be cool.

The bag in the Persona 5 CE looks awesome, but am I really going to take it out and use it? Nope. It's a "collector's item," in my head, so I don't want to risk damaging it or getting it dirty.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

I've been fairly unimpressed with CEs since I bought a house.  Statues are pretty much the only thing I like in CEs these days.

Sometimes plushies are cool.

desocietas

I've been fairly unimpressed with CEs since I bought a house.  Statues are pretty much the only thing I like in CEs these days.

Sometimes plushies are cool.

I'm a sucker for plushies. Can't wait to get my hands on that Morgana plush.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

im a fanatic for steelbooks. every time I go to a gamestop, disc replay, video games etc, etc. I always ask if they have any in and will buy them.

I like lapel pins and lanyards but will not buy a game just to get them like I will for steel books.

stickers are the worst and should not be included as a selling point for games. I mean just include those with nobody expecting them afterall it will only cost you an extra penny.

statues are extreamly hit or miss just because you want one that looks good (material wise) that is strong and sturdy so if it falls off a shelf it will not break, with the right weight to it where it is not to heavy but not to light. and when you are only given a picture with how tall it stands you cant make those distinctions.

art books/lore books/strategy guides are another edition seller for me. the packaged in ones usually are the best quality with artbooks made of a thick high gloss paper that will not tear easily, lore books made to look like they were carried through a war with coffee stains and creases, and strategy guides that have something completely different inside of them from the normal strategy guide.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

aliensstudios

I like Steelbooks, art books and soundtracks. Other than that, I won't seek out a collector's edition unless it's a good deal.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

azure

Soundtracks, Art books, Plushies, Statues Etc. All is well with me if done right. It really depends on a lot of variables. I really liked the Valkyrie Chronicles remastered storybook that came out recently. Usually not a big steel book fan, but the slipcover really makes it come together IMO.

soera

I think it more depends on the game itself on whether I will opt up for a collectors edition or not. I definitely prefer stuff that is actually helpful in game too like guides and maps. Clothing items don't normally appeal cause they don't display well. Steel books are neat if the aren't too oversized. Art is okay. It does not really sway me.

desocietas

Oh, you know, I didn't even really think about one big addition that devs/pubs add:

DLC

I personally hate DLC as an addition unless it's free for everyone always through in-game or through the digital shop. Having codes that need to be redeemed by a certain date and then not being available again for *anyone* drives me nuts!  This is mainly because I'm not the sort who plays games as soon as they're launched. It might be a year or more before I finally open that game, and I hate to know that I missed out on something just because I didn't feel like playing the game right after I bought it.

Fine, if I missed out and need to buy it for cheap later, fine. But locking a customer out because of a time limit...  aaaghh >:(
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

I enjoy picking up steelbooks, art books, and soundtracks when I can. Game t-shirts from pre-orders never seem to be my size ( xl), so I usually get custom designs online and order them that way.

I dislike when a collector's edition has digital game codes instead of discs for the game, such as the SF 25th Anniversary CE, Halo 5 CE. It doesn't make much sense why printing a disc, especially for a limited amount of copies, would be that much more of a cost to give to the consumer. You're already paying a premium anyways for the collectors edition.

stealthrush

To be honest I'm usually not a fan of these types of extras, especially from new series being released. From an existing series I am looking forward to (for example, The King of Fighters XIV) I really enjoy the soundtracks that are going to be included. Stickers, SteelBooks, Art Books collect dust more than anything else.

GrooDWanderer

My favorite steelbook is when it includes a physical copy of the soundtrack, when both the game and the CD are in the steelcase so there is no separate case or paper sleeve. It makes it much easier to store and not lose. I only have Dark Souls statues. I was thinking about the Uncharted 4 Collector's Set with the statue of Drake but, meh.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.