Author Topic: First & Early Impressions of an Xbox One NooB  (Read 5724 times)

gf78

Re: First & Early Impressions of an Xbox One NooB
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 02:09:17 pm »
sorry I ment pre installation of games. are any of them actually on the disc?

Oh, gotcha.  Yes, the games are actually on the discs.  If you are not connected to the internet, they will install just fine and you can go on with the single-player.  Kinda strange, but I have noticed that the installs take a lot longer if you are connected to the internet.  I have no idea why.  But a game that would take 5 minutes to install with no network connection will take 10 minutes (guesstimate) while connected.  I don't know if it's because it's polling the servers for updates or what, but it definitely takes longer.  Maybe it's installing updates simultaneously? 

As for Rare Replay, I don't know if all 30 games are on the disc or not as I was connected to the internet while installing.  Again, it took a while and it did tell me there were updates. I'm assuming all 30 games were on the disc as that would just be retarded not to be.  But maybe I'm giving Microsoft too much credit. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

telly

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 02:24:05 pm »
Just wait til you try to install Rare Replay. It does each game separately.

i just said "oh... my... god" out loud reading this
i wanted an xbone too... partially for rare replay...
oh my godddd.

The bulk of the Rare Replay games installed at one time.  The Banjo games, Viva Pinata games and Perfect Dark games installed separately as did a couple others.  The longest installs were Perfect Dark Zero, Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts and Kameo because those were 360 games.  The N64 games installed in no time.  And luckily with this game unlike Halo 5, after a little bit, you could start the main Rare Replay game up and start playing some of those titles.

I'm pretty sure you can just not download those 360 games if you don't want to, no? Or are you required to download everything?
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 02:33:03 pm »
sorry I ment pre installation of games. are any of them actually on the disc?

Oh, gotcha.  Yes, the games are actually on the discs.  If you are not connected to the internet, they will install just fine and you can go on with the single-player.  Kinda strange, but I have noticed that the installs take a lot longer if you are connected to the internet.  I have no idea why.  But a game that would take 5 minutes to install with no network connection will take 10 minutes (guesstimate) while connected.  I don't know if it's because it's polling the servers for updates or what, but it definitely takes longer.  Maybe it's installing updates simultaneously? 

As for Rare Replay, I don't know if all 30 games are on the disc or not as I was connected to the internet while installing.  Again, it took a while and it did tell me there were updates. I'm assuming all 30 games were on the disc as that would just be retarded not to be.  But maybe I'm giving Microsoft too much credit.

Some of the games are on the disc. The 360 titles are actually downloaded from the XBox Live store.

gf78

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 03:04:30 pm »
Just wait til you try to install Rare Replay. It does each game separately.

i just said "oh... my... god" out loud reading this
i wanted an xbone too... partially for rare replay...
oh my godddd.

The bulk of the Rare Replay games installed at one time.  The Banjo games, Viva Pinata games and Perfect Dark games installed separately as did a couple others.  The longest installs were Perfect Dark Zero, Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts and Kameo because those were 360 games.  The N64 games installed in no time.  And luckily with this game unlike Halo 5, after a little bit, you could start the main Rare Replay game up and start playing some of those titles.

I'm pretty sure you can just not download those 360 games if you don't want to, no? Or are you required to download everything?

I don't think you have to download them.  When you start the game without those 360 games being installed, you can select them in the select screen and it gives you a message that says they either aren't installed or require an update. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 03:04:52 pm »
Some of the games are on the disc. The 360 titles are actually downloaded from the XBox Live store.

That deserves a giant  ::)

gf78

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2016, 12:17:19 pm »
After some solid use, I'm slightly conflicted on the Xbox One.  So I figure I'll give my (updated) impressions in a "pros & cons" fashion now that I've come to grips with what the system has to offer. 

PROS
It's a nice looking system, especially in the Doom get-up that mine has. 

There are actually quite a few games that are exclusive that are a lot of fun to play and I've always been a sucker for Halo.  Dead Rising 3 is actually pretty fun, mashing stuff together into insane weapons. 

Microsoft has always excelled at their controllers and the 'bone controller doesn't disappoint.  It's quite fun to use and the crazy feedback rumble it gives in the triggers in Forza 6 is neat, but not really a selling point IMO. 

Turn 10 continues to crank out Forza games and the spit & polish is evident in Forza 6.  It's drop-dead gorgeous.  I don't know how Turn 10 can pump out a new Forza entry every two years and Polyphony Digital takes 5-6 or more to put out a new Gran Turismo.  It stings even more when you see GT rehashing the same mistakes over and over. 

The system runs cool & quiet. 

Backward compatibility!  This is actually a feature I am using which I typically & traditionally have rarely used on any console.  There are several Xbox 360 games in the Halo and Gears of War series that I like to play and want to play again and being able to play every Halo game on one console is bitchin.  Though sadly, the online component of Halo Reach has been neutered and removed from the game.   :'(

I really, really, really want to get an Elite controller.  The ability to map the four face buttons to the paddles will have an immediate benefit for me in online shooters when I don't have to take my thumb off the right stick to hit jump, melee attack, etc.  I see one of these overpriced bastards in my near future.

Online play is smooth for the most part.  I know Microsoft likes to brag about their Azure servers, but the online doesn't seem to be any better or worse than PS4 online gaming.

And last but certainly not least, adding an external HDD is fantastic.  I haven't done so myself, but will be soon.  The ability to just add an external drive instead of swapping one out to me is the best option.  To add storage to my PS4, I would have to back everything up or worse - re-download it all.  With the Xbox One, just connect the drive and you can use it.

CONS
While the system looks nice, even it's standard black incarnation, it is rather large compared to the PS4.  The power brick is also cumbersome as expected.  Luckily in my own area where my consoles sit, there is enough room for it to sit comfortably but I can see people having an issue with it's size. 

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but when I eject a disc, within a second it often tries to suck the disc back in.  Push the button, "ding."  A second later "ding" and in the disc goes. :o  No idea on this one.

For all the bashing the PS4 UI gets from Xbots (pulled that out of the archives!), the Xbox One UI is a hot mess.  PS4 puts my games front & center to scroll through, organized by most recently used.  Go to the end and you can view them all in alphabetical order.  On the 'bone, you have to scroll to the bottom of the screen, select "games & apps" then....scroll through an alphabetized list of games lust like on the PS4 that 'bone users criticize it for!  Hypocrisy at it's finest there folks. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, installs & updates are a pain in the ass.  The installs take forever to begin with and most games don't offer an option to start playing while installing like the PS4 does.  Also while PS4 will tell you there is a software update, you can cancel it and play the game while the update downloads in the background.  Not so with the 'bone unless you turn your internet connection to it off to "trick" it into thinking there is no update.  It took nearly two full days before I could even play Halo 5.  Yeah.

SUMMARY
For me, the Xbox One is a great "second system" to supplement my PlayStation gaming, more so than the Wii U which has little aside from a couple "Mario" games that I really care about.  There are unfortunate "quirks" to the system software-wise that are part of the Don Mattrick legacy of evil and lead to headaches like the install issues.  In hindsight, the fact that my controller wouldn't sync "out of the box" may be attributed to it not being the controller originally paired with that particular system since Bethesda customized several of them at one time.  But the poor documentation didn't help in this regard.  I'll be playing upcoming games like Halo Wars 2 and Gears of War 4 and I'm cautiously optimistic about Recore.  If you want to use backward compatibility, you better be online with enough bandwidth & unlimited usage as each 360 game you insert starts a full-game download from Xbox Live.  I can only assume that the game code is altered from it's original form on the 360 disc to make it work on the 'bone and the fact that Reach has no online features and it has been removed completely from the in-game menu lends validity to this.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:18:57 pm by gf78 »

necrosexual

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2016, 09:38:51 pm »
speaking of UIs i think both ps4 and xbone's UIs are kinda meh
they really need to let us customise those damn game lists because once you have more than a few games it just gets really kinda messy to look at and idk
my OCD can't stand the 'recently played' set up PS4 has
idk

i can say i want an xbone for a couple reasons but i think i'll end up agreeing with your list of pros/cons there if i get one (and that'll be a hellishly long time before i cave because broke lmao)
it seems a lumbering as the size of the console (and power brick lmaooo), with the updates and such.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

soera

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 09:51:57 pm »
After some solid use, I'm slightly conflicted on the Xbox One.  So I figure I'll give my (updated) impressions in a "pros & cons" fashion now that I've come to grips with what the system has to offer. 

PROS
Its large enough to allow 3-4 drinks to sit on it and condensate without getting stains on the coffee table

CONS
It costs about $350 more than a set of drink coasters. Controller appears to resemble a boomerang but does not fly back to you when thrown.

SUMMARY
A savior for avoiding drink rings but at an absurd cost to do so.

pacpix

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2016, 10:17:34 pm »
I'm beginning to suspect you don't like the Xbox One Soera  ;D
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

soera

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2016, 10:27:26 pm »
Im transparent!

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2016, 10:30:13 pm »
speaking of UIs i think both ps4 and xbone's UIs are kinda meh
they really need to let us customise those damn game lists because once you have more than a few games it just gets really kinda messy to look at and idk
my OCD can't stand the 'recently played' set up PS4 has
idk

I was just thinking about this the other day.  I'd actually prefer to have very few items on the initial bar if I could, which is why I love the Wii U's design.  Everything is there how you want it, delete what you want, maneuver it around, it's simple and easy.  With the PS4, sure it organizes by most recent, but I'd love to be able to delete stuff or organize it in a way that makes sense to me. I don't need the the TV/Video folder right up front as I never use the apps there because I own a computer and I'd love to delete stuff I'm not longer using.  It's not a terrible UI, but it's not anything great.

gf78

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2016, 11:47:15 pm »

PROS
Its large enough to allow 3-4 drinks to sit on it and condensate without getting stains on the coffee table

CONS
It costs about $350 more than a set of drink coasters. Controller appears to resemble a boomerang but does not fly back to you when thrown.

SUMMARY
A savior for avoiding drink rings but at an absurd cost to do so.

LMFAO!

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2016, 09:36:09 am »
Give me the XMB, but only show pinned applications and the last 3-4 loaded games/apps at the far left as "priority" apps.

Give me the "games and apps" app from X1, where it shows all installed games, then there is a tab with all owned games that are not installed.

Also, I'd just like to state that the fact that the PS4 doesn't allow external storage for games, in conjunction with PS+, is so ridiculous.  I ran out of HDD space a year ago, so anytime I get something new (physical or digital), I have to go delete like 5 games.  And then when I go look at my library it shows all of my games, installed or not.  Too much storage juggling.  Even the Wii U supports external storage (though it kind of has to, doesn't it).

kashell

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:21 am »
Aside from Dark Souls III (which I barely touched) the 'bone is collecting dust. Lots of dust. There is nothing out there that looks captivating on the horizon and with so many games I'd much rather play it seems like there is no use for it. It's like the last thing on my list since I'd rather play stuff in the backlog or stuff that is coming out for the Vita, PS4, etc.

Is it worth trading it in to Game Stop? Should it be sold online? Is there something out there that will eventually be worth getting?

gf78

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2016, 12:56:21 pm »
Aside from Dark Souls III (which I barely touched) the 'bone is collecting dust. Lots of dust. There is nothing out there that looks captivating on the horizon and with so many games I'd much rather play it seems like there is no use for it. It's like the last thing on my list since I'd rather play stuff in the backlog or stuff that is coming out for the Vita, PS4, etc.

Is it worth trading it in to Game Stop? Should it be sold online? Is there something out there that will eventually be worth getting?

I'll answer honestly the same as when someone asks me in person if they should get an Xbox One or PS4:  Unless you cannot live without Halo and Gears of War, buy a PS4. 

That's not to say that there aren't good games on the 'bone, but that if Halo and Gears aren't big draws for you, the PS4 will have way more than enough great games to keep you busy.  My gaming interests for the Xbone include exclusives and games that I find really, really cheap. 

Ori and the Blind Forest is fantastic (so far).  The opening act had me pretty sad.  It's one of those rare, touching games that pulls on this jaded geezer's heartstrings.  I started playing Quantum Break last night and I have to say, it's pretty interesting.  I liked Remedy's work on Alan Wake and so far, Quantum Break has been outstanding.

I have consistently wavered between Gran Turismo and Forza on which was my favorite.  Damn DLC car packs all to hell, but Forza feels & looks like a better game series to me.  It's like Polyphony Digital has never innovated past GT3 A-Spec.  The newer the GT game, the less I have really enjoyed them.  They are filled with goofy-ass elevator music and counter-intuitive menus.  Car damage has been done for over 12 years now in other racers, but there is barely any in GT.  Up until Gran Turismo 6, the majority of the cars didn't have an "in car" view to play from.  I'm not even sure it changed for GT6 since I never played it al that much.  And what good are 1000+ cars when there are 50 variations of Honda Civics and various other grocery-getters?

As for upcoming games, you are looking at Gears of War 4, Recore, Scalebound, Halo Wars 2 and a couple others here & there.  Without a doubt, more Forza & Forza Horizon games will be on the way.  Not much else aside from that as far as exclusives go that I can think of.