Author Topic: PC Part/Build Recommendation  (Read 2341 times)

PC Part/Build Recommendation
« on: July 01, 2016, 01:03:52 am »
Coming up on 3 years for my current PC, aside from getting a GTX 970 not too long ago and with some minor hardware hiccups here and there and I feel like some underwhelming performance lately, I want to look at a new PC build sometime this year.  I might be able to get away with keeping my graphics card, barring it isn't having issues, but generally I'm looking to do a nice update for around the 700 to 1000 dollar range.  So if anyone here is knowledgeable or has a build they are already looking at, that would be helpful.  Pre-built is also okay, but I can manage building my own PC...though not having to do all the work would be nice, so it is still an option lol

tripredacus

Re: PC Part/Build Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 10:02:58 am »
I just built a new PC myself. I too, cheaped out a bit on it and that may bite me in about a year's time, but we'll see how it goes.

Are you looking to build an additional computer or replace your existing one? If you are doing a replacement, it is important because you can save a lot of money by using parts from the old one. Pick some game that is new and use that as your baseline for requirements. Use either the requirements or recommended specs.

I don't think there need to be specifics when building a PC. A quad core or greater CPU, 64bit OS, min 8GB RAM. That is all there really is to worry about. You can figure out hard drives. Buy an SSD if you want. Make sure you use a different disk for your OS than for your data or games. Don't choose a large drive for your OS. Don't use a software RAID or possibly don't use it at all. The RAM you pick, make sure it has TL9 or lower (lower the better). Don't use a low power/TDP CPU. Make sure you PSU exceeds the wattage requirement of your video card. I can't think of anything else.

Keep an eye on Newegg's daily Shellshocker sales: http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 12:20:45 pm »
Yeah it's a replacement PC for gaming.  I usually like to get a new one every 3 or 4 years if I can float it.  I could probably save a few bucks with maybe keeping graphics card, but I'm worried it's possibly having some brainfarts lately, though I'm considering some performance issues could be coming from the CPU/Motherboard at the moment, so I'd like to replace as much as I can.

I did stumble across this on Neogaf, with a nice write up for different builds that sound fairly good and I'll have to look through, particularly the $869 Great build.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1222740

Only thing I might add is an SDD for basically like the OS, get all the main programs to load fast, keep everything else to the 1TB HDD.  Might come down to how much money I can wrangle up and what prices change by the fall.

davifus

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 02:48:55 pm »
Can you list your current parts. I like to know what I'm working with.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 05:07:13 pm »
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kamikaze_Keeg/saved/ZFy48d

Still have this for it, though I have a GTX 970 for the graphics card right now.

davifus

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 02:38:23 am »
CPU
I would just upgrade the i5 to i7 4790k, but honestly the i5 is okay if you keep it overclocked. A few/couple years later you can upgrade to 6700. 
GPU
I would get another 970 [Which 970 do you have?] [$2XX] for SLI. Cheaper than getting a single 980ti [$4XX Price dropped after 1070 & 1080 released] or single 1070[$4XX]. Unless you want to future proof then go ahead and get a 1070 or even a 1080. Maybe even a AMD 480.
RAM
8gb is okay but if needed just go to 16gb.
STORAGE
120gb SSD is not a must but pretty convenient and they are pretty cheap [$30-50].
MOBO
Seems fine
PSU
If you do the SLI. You need a bigger power supply. 750 - 800W

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 02:52:00 am »
CPU
I would just upgrade the i5 to i7 4790k, but honestly the i5 is okay if you keep it overclocked. A few/couple years later you can upgrade to 6700. 
GPU
I would get another 970 [Which 970 do you have?] [$2XX] for SLI. Cheaper than getting a single 980ti [$4XX Price dropped after 1070 & 1080 released] or single 1070[$4XX]. Unless you want to future proof then go ahead and get a 1070 or even a 1080. Maybe even a AMD 480.
RAM
8gb is okay but if needed just go to 16gb.
STORAGE
120gb SSD is not a must but pretty convenient and they are pretty cheap [$30-50].
MOBO
Seems fine
PSU
If you do the SLI. You need a bigger power supply. 750 - 800W

And I could do this all with my current MOBO? A cheaper priced update rather than full upgrade might be worth it.

And this is my graphics card currently http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127850

davifus

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 04:54:04 am »
Asus Z87-A should be able to handle the SLI.

The minimum update you can do would be another 970 & a Bigger Power Supply & SLI bridge.

I have a 970 in storage that I'm trying to sell off if you thinking about going the SLI route. [I have the MSI 970 4G http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814127832].

But for future sake you could just upgrade to a 1080[But there all sold out] & they are expensive very expensive but really good. The next best and affordable option would be the 1070, which I recommend over the 970 & 1080 [Best frame for the buck.} Later on you get another 1 for SLI.

Flashback2012

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 10:48:09 am »
Nice thread...I've been needing something like this to pop up. I am getting ready to build a new PC as well. I've had the tower for over a year now and am hoping in the next few months to start parting it together.  :P

My current build is quite a few years old; at least 6 years or so? The only thing I've upgraded in it is the video card but I'm thinking time is getting the best of it. It's been shutting down while gaming and it's starting to aggravate the piss outta me. I thought the problem was solved when I replaced the video card but it's started happening again so I'm wondering if maybe the PSU is starting to go bad. One thing I did with this PC when I built it is I used parts mainly from either Gigabyte or Corsair. I'm thinking this next go around I'm not going to be so snobby with the brands that go in as I'm ready to give up the goat on both of those two companies (the new case is a Corsair and I will probably again use their memory but everything else is open to something new).  :P

I don't anticipate salvaging much from the current comp outside of drives. I would love to entertain any ideas on what brands to use. The only caveat is that it will be an Intel machine instead of a AMD but other than that I'm open to whichever brand is the most solid (and affordable).  ;)

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 05:06:45 pm »

The minimum update you can do would be another 970 & a Bigger Power Supply & SLI bridge.

I have a 970 in storage that I'm trying to sell off if you thinking about going the SLI route. [I have the MSI 970 4G http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814127832].

But for future sake you could just upgrade to a 1080[But there all sold out] & they are expensive very expensive but really good. The next best and affordable option would be the 1070, which I recommend over the 970 & 1080 [Best frame for the buck.} Later on you get another 1 for SLI.

If your 970 will work fine with mine, I might consider it, though I wouldn't be doing it anytime soon, probably not till the fall.  How much would yours be?

Here's what I got for the moment...

CPU - i7 4790K - $340
RAM - Corair Vengeance LP 8GB - $40
GPU - GTX 970 - $325
HDD - Seagate Desktop HDD 1TB - $70
SDD - Kingston - SSDNow 120GB - $50
PSU - EVGA 220=G2=0750-XR 750W - $120
Total - $945 (Not including any possible savings or price drops I can get)

Decided to add a new HDD just to have a fresh one.   I've never had 2 drives before, so I might have questions on that if I end up getting the SDD.  Might adjust things depending on what I feel more comfortable with price wise as I could just drop the SSD and HDD entirely, those are more for convenience than anything.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:37:06 pm by kamikazekeeg »

davifus

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 05:49:37 pm »

If your 970 will work fine with mine, I might consider it, though I wouldn't be doing it anytime soon, probably not till the fall.  I'll price out the i7 CPU, doubling my RAM, and what would you recommend for the PSU to replace mine that also makes sure to fit into my tower? Also what would you do for your graphics card if you still have it by then? I can get another of the one I currently have right now for $325 on Newegg.

Yeah, they should be compatible. PSU 700-850 Wattage. What I would recommend is make sure you have signed up for Neweggs Newletter, Where they send you deals & Promo Deals. Use it look for PSU, i7 (at least K in it), Ram, and SSD. Yeah, I should still have the 970 around fall (Probably at most $200, but it could change depending how much GPU Prices fluctuate in a few months. )   

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 06:01:26 pm »

If your 970 will work fine with mine, I might consider it, though I wouldn't be doing it anytime soon, probably not till the fall.  I'll price out the i7 CPU, doubling my RAM, and what would you recommend for the PSU to replace mine that also makes sure to fit into my tower? Also what would you do for your graphics card if you still have it by then? I can get another of the one I currently have right now for $325 on Newegg.

Yeah, they should be compatible. PSU 700-850 Wattage. What I would recommend is make sure you have signed up for Neweggs Newletter, Where they send you deals & Promo Deals. Use it look for PSU, i7 (at least K in it), Ram, and SSD. Yeah, I should still have the 970 around fall (Probably at most $200, but it could change depending how much GPU Prices fluctuate in a few months. )

Cool, that'll be good savings if you still have it then.  I'll keep an eye out more for the prices of things around the time I'm able to get it.  Probably will take me that long to save up.

davifus

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 06:28:38 pm »
Here's what I got for the moment...

CPU - i7 4790K - $340
RAM - Corair Vengeance LP 8GB - $40 [I would not recommend getting another single kit ram to make it 16gb. Even separate kits of the same exact ram can run into problem like not working or being unstable. You need to get a duel kit of 2x8gb.]
GPU - GTX 970 - $325
HDD - Seagate Desktop HDD 1TB - $70 http://goo.gl/6yQAuw
SDD - Kingston - SSDNow 120GB - $50
PSU - EVGA 220=G2=0750-XR 750W - $120 http://goo.gl/njWMAs

Total - $945 (Not including any possible savings or price drops I can get)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:15:26 pm by davifus »

davifus

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 06:47:11 pm »
Nice thread...I've been needing something like this to pop up. I am getting ready to build a new PC as well. I've had the tower for over a year now and am hoping in the next few months to start parting it together.  :P

My current build is quite a few years old; at least 6 years or so? The only thing I've upgraded in it is the video card but I'm thinking time is getting the best of it. It's been shutting down while gaming and it's starting to aggravate the piss outta me. I thought the problem was solved when I replaced the video card but it's started happening again so I'm wondering if maybe the PSU is starting to go bad. One thing I did with this PC when I built it is I used parts mainly from either Gigabyte or Corsair. I'm thinking this next go around I'm not going to be so snobby with the brands that go in as I'm ready to give up the goat on both of those two companies (the new case is a Corsair and I will probably again use their memory but everything else is open to something new).  :P

I don't anticipate salvaging much from the current comp outside of drives. I would love to entertain any ideas on what brands to use. The only caveat is that it will be an Intel machine instead of a AMD but other than that I'm open to whichever brand is the most solid (and affordable).  ;)

Can you List out you Current PC parts. What you already have. The budget.

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 07:41:02 pm »
Oh, I wasn't getting just one single 8gb stick of ram, it's the 2 sticks of 4 like I had before, it's just how I wrote it out lol