Author Topic: What console do you think has the best controller?  (Read 2987 times)

Re: What console do you think has the best controller?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 11:59:02 pm »
I have my own definition of a retro console. To me, a retro console is anything before previous gen. So in that sense, I would also consider GC to be a retro system. Also its almost 15 years old and in that sense, as well, it would be retro. It was discontinued in 2007 which is almost 10 years ago. Another reasoning behind the retro classification.

This is my view of it too and I don't use it for anything else that I can think of also.  We aren't alone as Wiki says it's basically the more common usage these days.

"Most commonly retro is used to describe objects and attitudes from the recent past that no longer seem modern."

necrosexual

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 12:28:58 am »
honestly i'm fond of the dualshock 1-3.
i'll dodge bullets for that, but i have small dainty hands and spider fingers. i use it for pc too.
ds4 is larger, i don't find it as comfortable as the first three. it's wider due to the touch pad.

never ever liked the staggered analogue sticks on xbox/360/one or the gamecube, and gamecube has only three shoulder buttons.
the pro controller for wii u doesn't have pressure-sensitive triggers so it's out.
SNES controller and genesis are kinda cramped
NES controller is sharp and hurts

the n64 controller is a fucking joke.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 03:20:19 am »
The Gamecube, even if it looks like a Technicolor nightmare. Love the button placement and think it's so comfortable to use. The PS4's isn't bad either. It's a big step up from the PS3's, which always felt like a cheap toy to me. I think the Dreamcast's was very innovative for the time, but the triggers wore out so easily, and whoever decided the cable belonged on the bottom should've been fired.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 03:54:08 am »
Modern : PS4
Classic : Mega Drive/Genesis

kashell

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 08:46:36 am »
Some of my favorites are:

Sega Saturn - it's comfortable, responsive and it has lots of buttons that are easy to press.
PlayStation 2 - responsive sticks, sturdy face and shoulder buttons, and it's able to withstand lots of ware and tear due to me always playing on it.
N64 - I actually like this. It looks like the tip of a trident from Greek mythology and has a completely over the top design.

I'm not a fan of the Dreamcast, Game Cube or Xbox Controllers.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2016, 09:51:55 am »
Hands down (See what I did there?), it's the Xbox 360 controller.  It's damn near perfect for me.  The size is just right, the buttons are spaced just right.  I'm glad; nay, I'm thankful that it works just fine with my PC. 

gf78

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2016, 11:49:12 am »

Xbox One Elite controller is the best.  If you are talking standard "pack-in" style controllers, I'd go with the Xbox One controller.  Previously, the 360 controller was my favorite but the One controller is a gentle refinement of that design that feels much more comfortable.  I can play on Xbox One & 360 controllers all day long without discomfort.

A runner-up would be the Dual Shock 4.  It has a great weight and balance and the larger size & more rounded handles than the DS3 are a huge improvement.  I have an unfortunate issue with the DS4 and all the Dual Shocks in general .  If I am sitting in my La-Z-Boy or any recliner type chair where my elbows rest on the arms, my hands will go numb after about 15-20 minutes of playing.  The only thing I can figure is it is the placement of the thumbsticks.  I don't have the issue with the 360, One or Wii U controllers.  Weird, but the only commonality is the dual-analog sticks both at the bottom center of the controllers.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

azure

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2016, 12:02:43 pm »
I have my own definition of a retro console. To me, a retro console is anything before previous gen. So in that sense, I would also consider GC to be a retro system. Also its almost 15 years old and in that sense, as well, it would be retro. It was discontinued in 2007 which is almost 10 years ago. Another reasoning behind the retro classification.
This is my reasoning as well, couldn't have said it better myself.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 01:00:48 pm »
PlayStation (all of the generations) has the best controllers. Before that, it was SNES, which PlayStation totally got their design ideas from.

telly

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 04:50:31 pm »
I guess I would have to say the PS2 as well, though I have to give a shout out to the GameCube and all it's awesome colors :D
Currently Playing:
Super Monkey Ball (GC), Tunic (Switch), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

hexen

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 09:27:57 pm »
PlayStation (all of the generations) has the best controllers. Before that, it was SNES, which PlayStation totally got their design ideas from.

This is, pretty much, EXACTLY what I was going to answer with.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 09:50:08 pm »
Wii U gamepad*...seriously love having the second screen to display maps and inventory

*with battery upgrade

sithsylar

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 10:23:09 pm »
For me it has to be the XBox one controller.  It fits my hand perfectly and how my fingers just curl around it. 

ffxik

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 12:13:37 am »
I don't have any experience with the new generation of consoles.  So that in mind I would have to say mine would be the 360.  I have ham hands so it fits right in.  It's button layout is comfy and it's sticks are responsive.   It also has a nice thick casing that can take some abuse, since I have two kids abuse is going to happen.  When your controller is built like a brick shit-house that's a major positive.  My only complaint is the digital pad, it's junk.

sithsylar

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 01:58:05 am »
I don't have any experience with the new generation of consoles.  So that in mind I would have to say mine would be the 360.  I have ham hands so it fits right in.  It's button layout is comfy and it's sticks are responsive.   It also has a nice thick casing that can take some abuse, since I have two kids abuse is going to happen.  When your controller is built like a brick shit-house that's a major positive.  My only complaint is the digital pad, it's junk.
Yep 100% agree with the d pad comment.  If you do get a xbox one you will notice how much they have improved the dpad.  Honestly i love the new xbox one dpad and i thought i would never ever say that after the 360 one.