Author Topic: Silent Hill or Resident Evil?  (Read 2101 times)

Silent Hill or Resident Evil?
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:58:59 pm »
Which series do you like better  ;D

azure

Re: Silent Hill or Resident Evil?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:25:46 pm »
sweats profusely

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 08:31:15 pm »
Ooh, tough one. I'd have to go with Silent Hill. I tend to like horror games with a strong atmosphere, and with the exception of the REmake, I've never found the Resident Evil games all that scary. Goofy and fun, but not scary. The Silent Hill games are a lot more memorable to me because they're so effective, Silent Hill 1 being my favorite. Even then, Resident Evil 4 is also one of my favorite games of all time. Any game where you can suplex priests and kick the heads straight off of people is all right in my book.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 09:33:54 pm »
Resident Evil.  It's slightly odd to say that too, in that I hate the original games because of their control schemes.  Those are garbage control schemes that were only mildly improved in the recent re-releases, but still weren't very playable to me.  I love the cheesy, awful, monsters and stories, they are hilariously terrible B-Movies, but they have their charm, which is a bummer that I couldn't get into them.

I think I did manage to beat RE3, but I didn't really like it too much.  Resident Evil 4 though, like probably a top 20 game of all time for me.  I put tons of time into the Gamecube and PS2 versions.  Didn't like the Wii version because I'm not fond of motion controls.  I also like Resident Evil 5 despite its faults...RE6? Oof...Yeah lets move on from that.  Revelations 2 was generally alright, though I couldn't get too into Revelations 1 very far, though that's mostly I think just because it was a handheld port.  It was an alright port, but you can kinda tell it wasn't made for the big systems.

I also put RE higher, just because I haven't played the SH games much.  I dabbled in 3 and 4, very creepy, very unsettling games.  It's what the RE games were missing, because they were never scary, though hopefully that's being fixed with RE7 if the standalone demo is any representation.

telly

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 11:21:48 pm »
Silent Hill allll the way. Silent Hill is drenched with symbolism and deep storytelling in addition to being a really scary game to play, it's just so good.
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

stealthrush

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 11:52:13 pm »
Which series do you like better  ;D

Silent Hill.

I never was a fan of Resident Evil series from the beginning, the whole typical zombie-horror themes were not appealing. It wasn't until my friend recommend me play Silent Hill 2 for PS2. I was really surprised how a game was able to capture not only the eerie atmosphere but psychological horror element in a game. Since then I've played 2, 1, 3, and 4 in that order. All very well done. 

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 12:09:45 am »
Grew up on both but in the end have to side with Silent Hill. Was an amazing series to me overall and I can at least find something nice to say about all of them baring Homecoming and Shattered Memories. They were garbage XP Also no matter what anyone tells me but Downpour was a good game and generally the step in the right direction for the series post Team Silent.

sithsylar

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 01:02:37 am »
Resident Evil. 

I will never forget feeling so afraid of Nemesis making a return after return and each time he looks different.  That game was honestly amazing!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 01:54:44 am »
Resident Evil for me, easily. But I've always been a fan of horror movies, particularly zombie movies. So Resident Evil was aimed right at me.

kashell

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 11:44:23 am »
Ooh, tough one. I'd have to go with Silent Hill. I tend to like horror games with a strong atmosphere, and with the exception of the REmake, I've never found the Resident Evil games all that scary. Goofy and fun, but not scary. The Silent Hill games are a lot more memorable to me because they're so effective, Silent Hill 1 being my favorite. Even then, Resident Evil 4 is also one of my favorite games of all time. Any game where you can suplex priests and kick the heads straight off of people is all right in my book.

I agree with a lot of this. Resident Evil never scared me aside from a surprise attack from an enemy popping out of somewhere.

Silent Hill had the same thing, but there was more to the enemies because of their representation with the main character.

So, yeah, Silent Hill.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 10:18:45 pm »
This is tough. Looking back on it Resident Evil was simply more playable than Silent Hill and frankly easier to understand as a teenager when I played it. I played Silent Hill and liked it but it was a more adult game that was before it's time in storytelling. As an adult the story in Silent Hill tends to be more interesting and sinister.

gf78

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 02:09:41 pm »
Silent Hill for sure.  I've been there since day-one with both series.  Resident Evil is a horror game that relies on jump-scares and gross-outs.  They are a lot of fun to play and the tank controls never "ruined" it for me as that was what was there and of course, there were no other games like the early Resident Evil titles.

Silent Hill on the other hand freaked me the fuck out from the very first one.  When you are wandering in the fog and come across the mutilated "whatever the hell that was!" on the fence and the little creeps start chasing you and stabbing at you...man!  The psychological aspect of fear was omnipresent in the Silent Hill games, even when everything looked normal.  In fact, it was then that the games really filled me with dread and foreboding.  The developers took something simple like a faceless mannequin, put it in a nurses uniform and it comes after you in spastic, jerking motions...it gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it. 

It's a real shame that Konami has gone full fucktard and we will more than likely never see another Silent Hill game.  Thankfully though, games like The Evil Within have stepped up to the plate, offering tense moments and keeping me on the edge of my seat.  And I swear that when I saw the E3 briefing with the Resident Evil trailer, right up until the end I thought it was Silent Hills.  I'm glad to see Capcom taking the series in a horror-direction after it had become progressively more & more derailed with 5 & 6. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 04:31:34 pm »

It's a real shame that Konami has gone full fucktard and we will more than likely never see another Silent Hill game.  Thankfully though, games like The Evil Within have stepped up to the plate, offering tense moments and keeping me on the edge of my seat.  And I swear that when I saw the E3 briefing with the Resident Evil trailer, right up until the end I thought it was Silent Hills.  I'm glad to see Capcom taking the series in a horror-direction after it had become progressively more & more derailed with 5 & 6.

I think most people were thinking Silent Hills with that. I know I was, though at a point after the end of the gameplay part, I started to think it was something slightly different

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 06:47:07 pm »
I love both but resident evil before silent hill.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 09:19:08 pm »
Eh. I think there's a definite P.T. influence in the RE7 demo, but I also think it's lacking a certain something that made P.T. so effective. I'm not going to pretend that P.T. was a flawless horror masterpiece, but it knew how to build up a strong atmosphere with very few assets and had one of the creepiest ghosts I've ever seen in a game. The RE7 demo has its moments, but it really feels like a shameless attempt at filling the P.T. void, at least to me. I'm not sure how I feel about Resident Evil delving into the supernatural. It worked for a mindbender like Silent Hills, but it feels out of place in the same game series where you can punch a boulder into gravel, fight a woman who controls an army of mutant ants, and trash talk a deformed Cap'n Crunch with a Napoleon complex. I'm happy to see that Resident Evil is going back to horror and know that it can do it right like it did with the REmake, but the way they're going about it is a little too jarring for my tastes.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.