Author Topic: How old were you when you first beat Super Mario Bros.?  (Read 2122 times)

How old were you when you first beat Super Mario Bros.?
« on: August 09, 2016, 10:45:26 pm »
Does everyone remember the day they beat the original Mario bros?  How old were you? Any stories?   ;D

pacpix

Re: How old were you when you first beat Super Mario Bros.?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:57:33 pm »
Played the game a lot when I was really young, but don't think I actually finished it until I was probably 15 or so.  I had completed many Super Mario games before that, just never put in the time to see the original through completion until that point.  I remember the level with the endless hammer bros. in world 8 being particularly annoying.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

stealthrush

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 02:56:35 am »
Does everyone remember the day they beat the original Mario bros?  How old were you? Any stories?   ;D

Played Super Mario Bro. growing up as a child along side Duck Hunt since Nintendo Entertainment System was my very first video game home-console my parents bought me. Still have my original copy CIB today. Never completed it, but completed other Mario games in the future.

kashell

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 09:44:19 am »
One of my favorite things about that game was hopping on a Koopa shell on a step in order to rack up enough points to get nearly infinite lives. After that, I was able to beat the game since those hammer brothers were so brutal. I think I was 8 or 9 when I finally finished the game.

azure

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 10:09:48 am »
I don't remember the exact age, so I'll just go with "A wee lad".

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 11:31:18 am »
I got my first NES from a garage sale in 1998 or so, so I never had a chance to beat it when I was younger. I had played it at friend's houses, but never actually beat it. I will fully admit that I've never actually beat it. I've probably got about 75% through it using warp tunnels, but never actually finished it. Sounds like a game I might have to add to the 52-game challenge.

doafan

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 11:56:16 am »
Guess that I was around the 7 - 8 years old when I beat this title and about the memories well what can I say when have to pay to play, one dude at my old neighbor had the console and he charged all the kids that wanted to play for a couple of coins, finished the title after spending like 5 bucks  :P

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 12:26:37 pm »
I was probably 8 or 9 and I beat Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on my Game Boy Advance. By this point I had beaten Super Mario World on my Advance so going back to this one was a bit easier. I beat the NES version a bit later, though I have no idea how old I was.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 04:03:57 pm »
23 years old.

No joke.  I had never finished it until I was grown and had started collecting.  I finished Mario 2, 3, World, Yoshi's Island, and Mario 64 all before I finished the first one.  It was that far along before someone told me that I had to used the pipe after the lava in 8-4. 

doafan

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 05:50:20 pm »
23 years old.

Just wondering how old are you, but seriously guess that at that time there was no Youtube so who told you about the pipe you cheater  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 09:28:18 pm »
I don't remember the first time I beat it, but I do vividly remember the first time I saw it.
I was living in Germany at the time and my parents brought me along to visit another American family whose kid's father worked with my dad. The kid had a NES and showed me SMB. Naturally, it was unlike anything I had ever seen; I still had my Atari 2600 and that was my only basis for comparison. He knew where all the secrets were in stages 1-1 and 1-2, and to this day I still play those levels exactly like he did. If I remember correctly, he also had Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, Clu Clu Land, and Gyromite. Not surprisingly, ROB was up on a shelf collecting dust. We tried getting it to work with Gyromite once, but it was so fiddly to set up we gave up.

Anyway, within a year I had more NES games than he did  ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:31:09 pm by undertakerprime »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 10:28:32 pm »
23 years old.

Just wondering how old are you, but seriously guess that at that time there was no Youtube so who told you about the pipe you cheater  ;D
I'm 35.  YouTube was just starting off back in those days.  It might not have even been a thing yet.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 12:30:27 pm »
I got my first NES from a garage sale in 1998 or so, so I never had a chance to beat it when I was younger. I had played it at friend's houses, but never actually beat it. I will fully admit that I've never actually beat it. I've probably got about 75% through it using warp tunnels, but never actually finished it. Sounds like a game I might have to add to the 52-game challenge.

Same, I never actually finished it. Mostly because, after being shown where the warps are it feels like a waste of time to not take them, but like cheating if I do use them, since I can't unsee them. With SMB2, I didn't look up where the warps were until the retry after I had already completed the areas that they skip.

tpugmire

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 04:17:19 pm »
I don't recall how old I was, but I know it was after SMB2 released, but before SMB3. I'm going to guess I was about 10.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com