Author Topic: Current gen or previous gen so far?  (Read 1921 times)

Current gen or previous gen so far?
« on: July 31, 2016, 12:44:13 pm »
Do you think Current gen has been on pace with last gen in terms of epic classic titles? or do you think this generation hasn't been as good.  :)

azure

Re: Current gen or previous gen so far?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 01:51:05 pm »
Last gen had so many great games, so it's hard for me to say right now. So far, the current gen seems to be shaping up to be just as good for me though.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 05:32:42 pm »
This generation has been pretty poor tbh. Between the flood of those lazy cash grabs known as remasters, and the fact that almost everything(including japanese games) is coming/will come to pc nowadays, there's been extremely little reason to buy any console aside from the wii u.

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 10:40:59 pm »
The current gen is much better for me personally, especially the PS4. Such a huge step above the PS3, on par with PS2 for me.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 10:59:58 pm »
I think this gen has struggled to get going somewhat, like my PS4 collection is kinda tiny right now, lots of remasters, but it's about to take off coming up soon I think as we get this gen's Final Fantasy and other good stuff on the horizon.  Wii U has actually been better to me despite its issues, but where the PS4 is about to take off, the Wii U is seemingly winding down with only Zelda coming up that is big.

retrogemcollector

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 04:16:14 am »
Still rock my PS3 and those countless RPGs that I missed on.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 09:00:14 am »
Current gen! Last gen felt so outdated in the end I couldn't barely game on it and had to resort to PC gaming instead

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 11:20:13 am »
In terms of new IPs and installements in existing franchises, this gen is definitely giving last gen a run for its money so far. However because e're comparing a relatively new generation to a well established one it is a bit unfair to judge them side by side. I have no idea what the rest of this generation will bring in terms of hardware and software, and until this generation is over and the smoke has settled, then you'll be able to judge which one was better.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 03:03:27 pm »
This has been a pretty lame gen, in my opinion. Underwhelming sequels, including the weakest Mario main franchise game ever, tons of remaster / re-hash, half-baked hardware, incomplete games being released so that content can be tacked on later and then release a full edition one year later. Maybe I'm just burnt out on modern games, but I think previous was stronger overall.

gf78

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 03:25:28 pm »
Ah...the age-old dispute.  Right up with there with religion and politics.  All kidding aside though, I think this generation is shaping up to be fantastic and I feel the complete opposite of blackhearted.  Where he thinks the Wii U is the standout, I think the Wii U has been pretty much crap.  It's been nothing but rehashes, sequels and a couple "new" games here or there. 

The PS4 and Xbox One have had more than their fair share of remasters, etc. and I think that's just fine.  There are a lot of gamers who missed out last gen on games like Bioshock, Metro, etc.  So it's nice to have that option to pick these up now in their best form available.  Especially given that most of them are priced significantly lower than a new release game.  Nobody is telling you to buy them or twisting your arm to do so.  There are games from various series I would love to see get a "current-gen makeover."  I think it would be fantastic if CD Projekt Red released the Witcher 1 & 2 on the current consoles.  The Master Chief Collection was a standout effort with four complete games at what boiled down to $15 a piece and can be had today for around thirty bucks.  Rare Replay is a fantastic set of 30 games from the beginning of Rare up to the 360 era.  Even before I owned an Xbox One, I bought this gem because it is just so damn cool. 

I have over 20 games in my collection right now that weren't available on PS3 or 360 and many more that were released simultaneously on the current and last gen hardware (ie Evil Within, Wolfenstein the New Order, Destiny, etc.).  I've been extremely happy with both the PS4 and Xbox One based on their capabilities and quality of the games on them. 

That being said, I think it's a bit premature and unfair to compare the library of games on the last gen which has been around for 10+ years to the current gen which has been around for just over 2 & a half.  Given the same amount of time - which hopefully happens with current "plan" to make rolling hardware upgrades - I'm sure the libraries of the modern consoles will far surpass what the PS3 and 360 produced while also maintaining full backward-compatibility with the games that launched in 2013.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:27:22 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

argyle

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 04:12:56 pm »
I agree with those that say it's too early to tell. But I will say that as a big JRPG fan, it's looking like this gen will end up being much better than last in that genre at least.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

necrosexual

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 03:46:28 am »
right now, i prefer last gen, and RIGHT NOW, with what we have right now only, i think anyone would be a complete idiot to say otherwise. i don't mean "upcoming releases", i mean RiGhT nOw.

but this gen looks like there's a slight(?) jrpg genre revival??
i mean, star ocean v
final fantasy 15
persona 5
are all coming around the same time period (within the same 12 months of one another) so that's pretty neat.

but who knows. that said, that is my genre of choice, so that's nice for me.
ahhh.
as for the rest, yea, i have complained that his gen is just... remaster fucking central and i'm not that pleased with it. ie, do we REALLY need a skyrim, uh, hd remasteruhhh... rerelease with slightly pumped up graphics? it just came out last gen. at least metro redux came with last light AND 2033... and as a ps3 owner, not a 360 owner, i never got to play 2033 last gen. so, yes, i bought that (despite owning last light), but there was incentive (2033). i just don't see it for some of these others, idk, and esp not at a full price tag. but maybe i'm really fucking jaded idk. i got the hd remasters of last gen, for sure (wide screen and hd support, usually a compilation ala sly collection) but some of this shit seems ridiculous. on the other hand, i've heard an argument that it helps some devs move away from powerpc to x86 architecture as smaller projects... and if that IS the case, that's cool, i suppose, and much cheaper (less chance to fail).

but a lot of these remasters aren't giving me any incentive to buy them at a full $60... or even really $40. and the only reason it would be for me, is if it was a compilation of a series of games, and all the accompanying DLC. some of these games are 5+ years old. at first, they were trying (ie, sleeping dogs definitive, which DOES include DLC) but now it seems they're getting lazier (again, skyrim, which already has a GOTY version or w/e, with all the DLC in the package). there again, some of these games would be worth it to me, even, for $40, if they just smacked a big, bold text on the back that said "WHY YES, YOU CAN INVERT X-AXIS NOW" because some games are almost unplayable for me without that option. >.>; (metro... sadly, becomes a clusterfuck of me aiming like a 3 year old as i grapple with american x-axis)

but that's me, and maybe i'm alone.

but it feels to me like 'more of the same of last gen'... which, imo, is not a bad thing. so yeah. i'm cool with it. just. last gen is better for what we have on the consoles right now, as of 2 august 2016. please come back to me in 3-6 years lmao.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:48:59 am by necrosexual »

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

shfan

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 05:19:06 pm »
right now, i prefer last gen, and RIGHT NOW, with what we have right now only, i think anyone would be a complete idiot to say otherwise. i don't mean "upcoming releases", i mean RiGhT nOw.

I'm a complete idiot. It's still early days, as said, I've no idea why everyone's referring to this as 'the halfway point' for this gen - we're only getting the proper second wave of releases this Christmas since it takes so long to develop games these days.

In physical releases terms this gen has already left the last in the dust, from my way of thinking. The PS3 and 360's physical libraries suffered badly at the hands of the games industries 'less is more' fixation, the amount of genres squeezed out of the picture was eye watering in comparison to the PS1 and PS2's variety.

The PS4 (don't own a BONE yet) already has a growing library of budget/online titles, the likes of which no fucker wanted to publish on disc in the previous generation, there's also more variety in terms of strategy titles like Nobunaga's Ambition/Romance of the Three Kingdoms as well as more Western games like Wasteland 2 and numerous others coming through. I can look on Amazon and there's a wave of PS4 games I've never heard of, bliss.

The fixation with re-releasing older games always did irritate me, but then again only the botched Silent Hill remasters were truly offensive, the others are take or leave - I'll be getting the BioShock collection so won't have a leg to stand on regarding those.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 07:38:35 pm »
I'm a complete idiot. It's still early days, as said, I've no idea why everyone's referring to this as 'the halfway point' for this gen - we're only getting the proper second wave of releases this Christmas since it takes so long to develop games these days.

Everyone's saying we're far into this generation cause the 8th gen started near 4 years ago with the wii u(whether some people want to agree with that or not, that IS when it began). And the typical console generation is 5-6 years, with the last gen being the only exception. That and the fact that all 3 consoles are about to be replaced with in the next year or so also shows we're not really in the "early days" anymore.

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 08:38:59 am »
I never owned any last-gen systems. I went from a PS2/GBA to a PS4/3DS. So I'm pretty satisfied since a lot of games from last-gen have been remastered with all the extra content included.