Author Topic: Do you think they come out with new consoles too fast?  (Read 3168 times)

Do you think they come out with new consoles too fast?
« on: August 05, 2016, 02:47:45 pm »
Seems as though you just get done spending so much on a new console and another 500-2k on games just to have a new console paraded about In front of your face and then the console you just paid so much for is chop liver and is 50 bucks. PS4 and XB1 aren't even 3 years old and they are already talking about new consoles coming in about a year or so lol.   I think the console generation should be 6-8 years instead of the traditional 4 years. It would help the generations come more nicely and get more epic titles. 360 and ps3 lasted a lot longer.  Everything seems rushed lately. They should at least put the effort into giving us backwards compatability like Nintendo does. I don't understand how they don't have the technology to make XB1 and PS4 fully backwards compatible. Seems they are just trying to kill off the last console so you have to buy the new games and not just play your old ones. They want more money faster. Not to mention current gen is barely an upgrade from previous gen in the first place with a slightly weaker library imo.  Do you agree?  :)

soera

Re: Do you think they come out with new consoles too fast?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 03:46:13 pm »
There is no talk of the PS5 or the Xbox Onemoresuckyconsole. What is being talked about is a midway system. It is not required to play any of the upcoming games. Only for the people who are really into all the specs and what not, it allows you access to play games in pure 4k. No one complains when they releases another phone every year ... car companies put out the same car every year with 1-2 changes in whatever. But game companies release an updated system and the world starts to slowly implode.

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 03:58:40 pm »
Not really. It's just that the home console marketing has been in a downward slope since smart phones took over and the dominate form of entertainment. Major publishers and developers who've been in the game for decades have dropped out, companies have tanked. The cost and time of games now is hardly worth the investment, and that's why it seems like nothing really comes along anymore and you need 10 years to build a solid collection of games for a console.

Think of how many great games were on the SNES and it was only Nintendo's primary console for roughly 5 years. Personally, I think it says something about the state of games today being overly ambitious in their efforts, and overestimating what it takes to make a great or successful game.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 04:18:38 pm »
There is no talk of the PS5 or the Xbox Onemoresuckyconsole. What is being talked about is a midway system. It is not required to play any of the upcoming games. Only for the people who are really into all the specs and what not, it allows you access to play games in pure 4k. No one complains when they releases another phone every year ... car companies put out the same car every year with 1-2 changes in whatever. But game companies release an updated system and the world starts to slowly implode.

Oh I see, I thought they were replacing this gen next year already lol.  So all they are doing is they are basically making this gens version of the "Elite" and "Slim" like last gen did? Just a 4k compatible PS4 and XB1 pretty much with better specs?  That's not so bad.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 05:00:25 pm »

Oh I see, I thought they were replacing this gen next year already lol.  So all they are doing is they are basically making this gens version of the "Elite" and "Slim" like last gen did? Just a 4k compatible PS4 and XB1 pretty much with better specs?  That's not so bad.

Not really an Elite or Slim, but it's basically a PS4.5.  It'll be stronger, play 4k video and games, and will have any benefits that come from that, but it's still a system for this generation that will still play PS4 games.  I think console generations being roughly 5 years or so is a reasonable average.  Tech progresses so quickly these days that a console is pretty out of date by then and most developers have squeezed out all the power they can.  These in between systems coming up with likely prolong the generation based on how successful they are.

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 05:04:57 pm »
The main idea here is that these new systems are supposed to be upgraded versions of the PS4/ XB1 with better specs.  My best guess is that they'll be able to take 1440p content and upscale it to 4k, along with playing 4k blu-rays and such.

The main concern I have is that the new VR systems ( at least for Sony) are supposed to be released around the same holiday season as these new consoles, so not only will the marketing for that will be pushed hard, but its going to be a huge investment to get people to buy a new system + VR ( mostly likely $600 and up), especially as PC continues to make huge strides in the technology department ( and will be 2 gens ahead in architecture as well as VR). 

I'm hoping that developers will try to improve the framerate of existing games instead of just bumping up the resolution.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 05:42:19 pm »
XBox One Slim feels like a midway console. The XBox Scorpio feels like something new. It supposed to have more horsepower under the hood.

necrosexual

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 06:40:35 pm »
i think development cycles of games takes too long for a 5 year hardware cycle to be feasible now... tho scorpio and neo aren't NEW consoles. and the wii u DESPERATELY needed to be replaced, the wii u is a fucking colossal piece of shit, so whatever on that front. nintendo, once again, has exceptions to what should be hardline rules just because nintendo is a special brand of... of... something. they sure are special. and not in the good way these days.

and gamers in general, the general populace that plays games, they have these really high expectations... of what a game should be, and that ends up crippling dev studios, they fold, because the expectations are so high. everything should be big, massive, overworld, with lots to do, and great, great, great graphics, and this epic story with really talented and good voice acting, with super cool items and unique things all rolled up into one, so they want this huge, huge art team, this huge creative team, and these top-notch pro programmers, that's what gamers want. but the reality is, is that all is very expensive... and it takes forever. then they have the gall to bitch when they get all (or some, or most) of that and it's a buggy broken fucking mess... because of course it was going to be a broken, buggy fucking mess, they have finite resources, finite cash. they don't have forever to make a game and tweak and bug-test. they don't have forever and endless bundles of cash. thus: we get broken messes and a lot, A LOT, of remasters, remasters that exist solely to drag in cash when they produce that big, buggy mess. and a metric fuckload of patches and updates.

it all takes a massive amount of time. the 5-year cycle really should be taken out back and put down. the idea of a 5-year cycle, with today's tech, is just not something that should be considered... acceptable? expected? yes, it means tech falls behind. that sucks. but at the same time, the jump in graphic fidelity isn't the same as it used to be, either. 'better graphics' even takes more time on pcs than it used to... and the results aren't as overwhelmingly beautiful as it once was. that's why the ps4 and xbone were both 'underwhelming' to both critics and consumers. of course people liked it, it was improved, but really, it was underwhelming... and that was like 7 years? 6? of progress in the tech world. it's just fucking slowing down.

what you're likely to see, with scorpio and neo, is that games come out... intending to jump on those, but for those of us with older models of ps4/xbone... it's probably going to be like the 3DS... where some games work much better on new 3DS, and on the old 3DS models, you can't press home and go into the internet browser or friend list or miiverse. it's probably going to be like that. you'll have limited access on the user interfaces for the older tech, but you won't be severely limited otherwise. maybe, in some games, you won't get access at all, but those will likely be few and far between. i think that's what we'll see. in other words, for me, it won't affect anything. but that's just my prediction, i don't keep up with news about these new editions much, i don't really care because i'll never afford a neo until the generation is over. i MIGHT get a scorpio, since i don't have an xbone anyway, but i still like the look of that snazzy halo 5 console a lot, so maybe not.

honestly, tho, from a point of "just coming out of recession" and the amount of penny-pinchers that the whole shebang caused, i imagine that this is a pretty big risk. how many people will spend so frivolously? i guess we'll see, but economic hardships tend to make the generation that lived through them become massive penny-pinchers after it's all said and done (everyone knows, or knows of someone who does know, that old granny who lived through the great depression and now keeps a hoard of tin cans and other worthless shit in her shed out back)

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 08:39:57 pm »
It was underwhelming because both companies didn't want to lose any money making consoles at the very start, which forced them to adopt APU's , and made the systems already pretty close to being low- end when they both debuted in late 2013.  It also doesn't help that resolution takes priority over framerate, or that x86 isn't very efficent for gaming purposes, or that most companies can't afford to take creative risks because of the huge costs of development.

necrosexual

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 09:01:25 pm »
It was underwhelming because both companies didn't want to lose any money making consoles at the very start, which forced them to adopt APU's , and made the systems already pretty close to being low- end when they both debuted in late 2013.  It also doesn't help that resolution takes priority over framerate, or that x86 isn't very efficent for gaming purposes, or that most companies can't afford to take creative risks because of the huge costs of development.

well, yeah. of course.
they  both learnt last gen that bleeding from hardware isn't a good way to go. not in today's industry... both companies were haemorrhaging last gen from every orifice at different point. sony might be kicking themselves in the ass for this now, to some degree (then they could have had all the sales, and the title of vastly superior tech, too) but who could have predicted before that horrid 2013? E3 that microsoft's xbox division would go full retard and try to pull the shit they were going to pull? there was rumblings at the time, rumours... but a lot of them were mostly baseless, just looking at software trends. i doubt sony has paid ms informants sitting around. that shit's illegal lmao.

resolution takes over framerate because of gamer demands. if it was the opposite, people would be REALLY bitching. a lot of people barely notice frame rate because of lack of exposure... it takes a somewhat fine-tuned eye to really notice it. console gamers with little exposure... they won't really notice the fluidity over prettier graphics/better resolution. and we can argue 1080p/60fps should be standard, but that's a wholly different discussion (and literally no one except the worst kinds of shills would disagree)

i already covered the creative end. risks don't even need mentioning, when already talking of cost like that and how big these projects are on a wallet.

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 10:27:05 pm »

It may not be required, but i don't think you'll want to play new ps4 games on an original ps4 after neo comes out. All the years consoles have existed have shown us one BIG thing: console makers have absolutely no standards when it comes to performance. They'll greenlight anything for release no matter how badly it runs. And that's why some people are worried. Have you seen hyrule warriors on an old 3ds? It's borderline unplayable. And that's what i expect many games to be like shortly after neo and scorpio come out unless we get some kind of miracle and sony/ms start requiring games meet a minimum level on both versions.

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 11:50:43 am »
Up until recently I have been fine with the new console Gen lasting about 5-years before a successor comes along. Half a decade is a reasonable amount of time to support a console before it becomes outdated and probably time to release a much improved console. However, anything sooner than that falls into dangerous territory imo.

Unless your console has a lot of worthwhile exclusives what's my motivation to buy a slightly updated version of your console just two or three years later? That is on par with how often people often upgrade some of the hardware in their gaming PC, which will always be the best platform to game on for so many reasons. Not to mention, it is expensive to have to buy a new version of a PS4 or XBOX One every three years. I for one am a little bit pissed that just having purchased a PS4 back in December, that there are already plans to release a more powerful version (the NEO) in probably less than a year from when I bought it.

Bottom line is that if console continue this trend of small upgraded systems over a three year period, versus a fairly large leap every 5 or 6, I'll likely become a PC gamer exclusively.

necrosexual

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 12:41:13 pm »
Up until recently I have been fine with the new console Gen lasting about 5-years before a successor comes along. Half a decade is a reasonable amount of time to support a console before it becomes outdated and probably time to release a much improved console. However, anything sooner than that falls into dangerous territory imo.

Unless your console has a lot of worthwhile exclusives what's my motivation to buy a slightly updated version of your console just two or three years later? That is on par with how often people often upgrade some of the hardware in their gaming PC, which will always be the best platform to game on for so many reasons. Not to mention, it is expensive to have to buy a new version of a PS4 or XBOX One every three years. I for one am a little bit pissed that just having purchased a PS4 back in December, that there are already plans to release a more powerful version (the NEO) in probably less than a year from when I bought it.

Bottom line is that if console continue this trend of small upgraded systems over a three year period, versus a fairly large leap every 5 or 6, I'll likely become a PC gamer exclusively.

yea i bought my ps4 last november so i'm kinda irritated too. i knew a ~slim~ version would be coming eventually, i wasn't bothered by that, i knew some probably nicer designs would come along, i wasn't too bothered by that (lmao that's a lie i was bothered but whatever). but then saying it might be defunct after a couple years with the neo if things don't go proper... is bullshit.

i just hate pc gaming, tho, so it kinda sucks. i have a gaming pc (long overdue for a hardware upgrade) but i really just don't like pc gaming that much. so... so yeah, i'm not pleased at all. i heard a l ot of people complain too

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 05:16:55 pm »
Unless your console has a lot of worthwhile exclusives what's my motivation to buy a slightly updated version of your console just two or three years later? That is on par with how often people often upgrade some of the hardware in their gaming PC, which will always be the best platform to game on for so many reasons. Not to mention, it is expensive to have to buy a new version of a PS4 or XBOX One every three years.

The only real upgrade on a PC every 2-3 years is a video card. You can go 5-8 years before having to buy a new computer. Especially since the PC platform has pretty much plateaued when quad core CPUs were released. The only reason I even opted to build a new computer wasn't because my existing one couldn't handle new games, it was because I didn't want to change the OS. Also, another consideration regarding PCs is that even if you do have to make a new one, you can still play all your old games.

argyle

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 05:31:54 pm »

It may not be required, but i don't think you'll want to play new ps4 games on an original ps4 after neo comes out. All the years consoles have existed have shown us one BIG thing: console makers have absolutely no standards when it comes to performance. They'll greenlight anything for release no matter how badly it runs. And that's why some people are worried. Have you seen hyrule warriors on an old 3ds? It's borderline unplayable. And that's what i expect many games to be like shortly after neo and scorpio come out unless we get some kind of miracle and sony/ms start requiring games meet a minimum level on both versions.

I'll be shocked if this ends up being the case. Both companies are touting these new systems as being only for "hardcore" gamers who also own 4k TVs. They aren't pushing them to the general public, and the price is probably going to reflect that. So devs would be insane to put out games that ran that poorly on the current hardware. And to your New 3DS example, Hyrule Warriors was a first-party Nintendo title, no 3rd parties have made anything that ran like that on the old 3DS. Heck, correct me if I'm wrong but I think Nintendo themselves are the only ones so far that have put out games that actually take advantage of the specs of the New 3DS.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis