Author Topic: Sony or Nintendo all time?  (Read 4318 times)

retrogemcollector

Re: Sony or Nintendo all time?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2016, 08:37:03 pm »
I enjoyed Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donky Kong and Kirby when the first came out. But could not stand any of those iteration Nintendo keep milking these days. So that's why I'm not too much into WiiU and only have 4 games for it, Bayonetta, Devil's Third, Splatoon and Xenoblade which are all, the only actual NEW games. I just hate with passion anything reheated from Nintendo. With that being said my top three console I collect for are SNES, PS1 and PS3 mainly RPGs. I try to go for a full set of RPGs on each system.

tripredacus

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2016, 08:43:54 pm »
I vote Sega as well.  8)

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2016, 10:03:31 pm »
I like both about the same? i'd rather not have to choose.

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 12:47:15 pm »
I've never actually owned a Nintendo console myself so my opinion isn't as insightful as I'd like, but on the whole I prefer Playstation.

Nintendo has great things going for it like high quality games, long running franchises, easily the best couch multiplayer with Smash Bros and Mario Kart and focus on gaming but Playstation appeals to me because while it's first party isn't quite as good as Nintendo, it's 3rd party is far stronger. I feel Playstation emphasizes it's variety of games a lot more, you can go from a violent gothic horror action RPG (Bloodborne), to a cute colourful platformer (Tearaway Unfolded) to cinematic 3rd person shooter (Uncharted 4). However while Nintendo definitely has it's darker games it is a lot more family friendly overall whereas I find with Playstation it's very easy to find something of everything.

desocietas

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 12:56:28 pm »
I just have to say - thanks, everyone, for being so gracious in your comments! I love that this community can talk about things that can so easily divide people otherwise. Flames wars don't need to be an inevitable part of chatting about game companies, publishers, consoles, or whatnot.

One of our most recent console acquisitions in the house is a N64. I never had a N64 or a SNES growing up, so it's totally a foreign world to me!  :o I grew up with a Genesis and a PlayStation, but I'm assume there are some RPGs I'll need to play on this thing, though I have no idea where to start (or if the games are even affordable).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 12:58:14 pm »
I just have to say - thanks, everyone, for being so gracious in your comments! I love that this community can talk about things that can so easily divide people otherwise.

Unless we're talking about XBox, lol.

kashell

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 01:05:14 pm »
Never heard of it.

I just have to say - thanks, everyone, for being so gracious in your comments! I love that this community can talk about things that can so easily divide people otherwise. Flames wars don't need to be an inevitable part of chatting about game companies, publishers, consoles, or whatnot.

One of our most recent console acquisitions in the house is a N64. I never had a N64 or a SNES growing up, so it's totally a foreign world to me!  :o I grew up with a Genesis and a PlayStation, but I'm assume there are some RPGs I'll need to play on this thing, though I have no idea where to start (or if the games are even affordable).

The one that immediately comes to mind is Ogre Battle 64. I've played a few hours of it and the amount of customization you have is wonderful.

There's also Quest 64, Paper Mario, and Aidyn Chronicles. I haven't played much of any of those yet.

desocietas

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2016, 02:18:24 pm »
Never heard of it.

The one that immediately comes to mind is Ogre Battle 64. I've played a few hours of it and the amount of customization you have is wonderful.

There's also Quest 64, Paper Mario, and Aidyn Chronicles. I haven't played much of any of those yet.

Thanks, Kash! I'll keep an out out for those for sure.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

sworddude

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 04:17:17 pm »
I'd say Nintendo However in the N64/ps1 era I'd give the win to sony. The n64 has some quality titles but it is a pretty small list compared to other consoles.

I'd say that the mario games on the N64 win compared to the crash bandicoot and spyro games by quite allot however beyond mario and zelda there aren't that many great games on the N64 especially compared to the ps1.

In terms of rpg's 2d fighting games and shoot em ups the ps1 wins by quitte allot not to mention some arcade ports and the best metroidvania game symphony of the night. Also the only metroidvania game that was made for the big screen.The GBA games also look excellent on the big screen with the gba gameboyplayer but they are lesser titles, the ds titles are all lesser games and never to be played on big screen at all

I've almost played all of them but compared to the ps1 classic they are less fun and less superior even when not taking the big screen into account. It's a pain to miss out on that game but other than that the nintendo consoles have the better games, especially party games wich the sony consoles are lacking when compared to Nintendo.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:18:58 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!