Author Topic: Most Nostalgic Time-Period of Gaming  (Read 2832 times)

Most Nostalgic Time-Period of Gaming
« on: August 27, 2016, 12:01:12 pm »
What is that time period that you have the fondest memories of gaming? When you think back to that time, you are instantly swept up in how awesome it was to be a gamer back then and puts a huge smile on your face. You can list a specific generation of gaming as well if one in particular really makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside :p

For me it is sort of a large swath of time. From 1996 until 2002 I was a very avid gamer and remember playing so many classics on the most of the 5th and 6th gen consoles. If I had to narrow it down a little further, specifically 1998 through 2001 was the greatest 3 year of my life to be a gamer; we got classics like Ocarina of Time, Shenmue, Gran Turismo 3, Sonic Adventure, Super Smash Bros, Perfect Dark...I could go on and on. I played all of the mentioned games extensively, and there are easy another dozen or so I sunk serious time into. I was also fortunate enough to have my top three consoles of all time during this time, all which were supported by their creators. Those would be the N64, Dreamcast and PS2. I get massive feels when thinking about this time as a gamer.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:03:14 pm by bikingjahuty »

kashell

Re: Most Nostalgic Time-Period of Gaming
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 01:52:52 pm »
I get the most heart-melties when thinking about the PlayStation era and the cornucopia of quality RPGs. After Final Fantasy VII, things just continued to get better and better for me. Hours upon hours were sunk into Star Ocean 2, Threads of Fate, Legend of Mana, Vagrant Story, SaGa Frontier, Valkyrie Profile, SaGa Frontier 2, Final Fantasy Tactics.

And the list goes on and on and on.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 03:05:45 pm »
6th Gen

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 03:48:28 pm »
N64 and PS1 era with a dab of the early Xbox era in particular because of all the Halo LAN parties me and my friends did.  Like every single weekend when Halo released lol

pizzasafari

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 04:35:01 pm »
PS1 era for me as well. First console I owned and some of my fondest memories. My favourite game is Final Fantasy VIII mostly because of my memories playing it at the time. That game's content was beyond anything my little 4 year-old brain could comprehend and I loved it all the same.

Close runner up would be the following gen, I was still a kid when that rolled over, albeit an older one. I remember refusing to accept that the PS2 was better than the PS1 when it first came out. Heheh.

tpugmire

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 05:40:30 pm »
NES-SNES era, but I'm old.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 06:11:39 pm »
The possibilities and mystery of what might get localised or just released in general in that era seemed just as interesting. The cancelled games as well is also damn mysterious for anyone who's digged into that subject much.

For example some crazy bastards in south america from toytec were working on tomb raider for the Sega Genesis in 3D. After they finished Duke Nukem 3d which most considered impossible (Sega were even mind blown by this). they went bankrupt a few years later.

stealthrush

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 01:34:33 am »
Super Nintendo era, followed by Sega Saturn. Those two systems I spent most of my childhood playing. Started with NES and spent many hours playing rented. But I have the most best memories playing SNES growing up. I decided I wanted Saturn over Nintendo 64 or PlayStation and really loved that system (still do). Eventually early PlayStation for the most nostalgic.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 03:15:18 pm »
Probably the late 90's -early 00's for several core reasons:

1) Getting together with friends for massive gaming parties. We'd either be all gathered around a N64 playing games like Smash Bros., Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Mario Party or bring all of our PCs together for a full on LAN party with games like Starcraft, GTA II, Delta Force, or Rise of Nations.

Granted, me and my buddies still do game nights, but we've drifted more to card & board games, so a round of Catan is more likely than a round of Halo (though we do always set some time aside to play some of the genuinely terrible titles in my collection.

2) The lack of responsibility. Back then, as a kid, I could just sink hundreds of hours into my games, without a general care in the world. My core time sinks were probably Smash Bros., Civilization II, TIE Fighter, Starcraft, and Pokemon. Nowadays, as an adult with a full time job, progression through my backlog goes very slowly.

3) Piracy. Back in middle school, I was made aware of emulators and ROMs. All of a sudden, I had the entire NES and SNES library at my fingertips, and I made use of it, basically trying every game I could, just because I could. This broadened my gaming horizons so much as I was encountering gems I would've missed otherwise on my kid budget of 4-5 games per year (plus Blockbuster rentals). I've long since gone legit, as once I got a job, I enjoyed buying the games more (especially as I could see them on my shelves), with the only downside being that my purchasing speed has greatly outstripped my playing speed.

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 04:28:29 pm »
1990-1997 for me. Computer games, early internet era, gaming magazines, Demos... OMG DEMOS! Remember them?  ;D

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 11:03:42 pm »
For me it would be the period from 1993 through about 1999. The later portion of the SNES, the birth of the 32-bit era, the N64 and to a lesser degree the PS1, and of course the launch of the Dreamcast is about where my fondest of gaming memories end.

I'll always remember being a kid and playing Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, Super Off Road, Super Punch Out, and more. We would take our SNES with us about anywhere we went. My grandma's basement, my uncle's room (when he still lived at his parents), on vacation trips. Takes me right back to being a kid when I think of it. I remember being so hyped for the N64, and spending days and weeks with nearly every game I ever got my hands on for it. The multi-player fun that was had year after year, with Mario Party, Goldeneye, Bomberman 64, and others. Later on discovering the wonders of the overlooked (for me) PS1, and being blown away by my friend's Sega Dreamcast, and having parents cool enough to run out and buy me one on the spot with Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi, and then experiencing Shenmue for the first time. Indeed, those were the days for me.

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 11:45:51 pm »
the SNES to PS1 era. My best friend and I were still playing the older systems well into the PS1/N64/Saturn Eara. Lots of hours on countless games and systems swapped between us. The Sega Dreamcast was also a very fondly remembered time.

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 04:34:19 pm »
the era with these guys, in order, Nes, Sega Megadrive, PC 90s, SNES, PS1, PC early 2000s, and, yes, really, Wii.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 04:42:39 pm »
Probably the period from '83 to the SNES.
I loved my Atari 2600 and my Game & Watches, and my dad would bring me to the local mall arcade on the weekends, where I became so good at Ms Pac Man and Q*Bert he only had to give me one or two quarters. Arcade games were everywhere; our local Mexican restaurant had Mr. Do in the waiting room, and we knew the waitress at our favorite family restaurant so well she would exchange a kiss for a quarter to play Ms Pac Man in their lobby.

Then I discovered the NES, Game Boy, Genesis, and SNES. My parents got me a SNES for Christmas 1991, but they didn't know I would take it out to play it before Christmas  ;D

sin2beta

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 07:16:20 pm »

It was then a gentle waning of enthusiasm until the Dreamcast and arcades finally took their last breath. I still play a lot. But it is mainly stuff from that era along with the Blizzard trinity of Warcraft, starcraft and Diablo.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c