Author Topic: Gold, original NES Controller  (Read 1953 times)

Gold, original NES Controller
« on: September 10, 2016, 12:17:49 pm »
Hello guys. I found a Gold NES Controller a while back, and I have never been able to find any information on it. This looks to be OEM from Nintendo. I was just wondering if anyone here could give me some information on this controller.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Gold, original NES Controller
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 12:26:17 pm »
It looks like it's just a normal NES controller, that aged badly and the plastic yellowed.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 12:27:02 pm »
Haha this is pure comedy gold...  ;D

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 12:47:04 pm »
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 12:57:46 pm »
 :-\ Thanks for making fun of me. I thought that if I posted it on this forum that I would have gotten genuine responses, but instead have gotten laughed in my face. Thank you burningdoom for having a genuine response.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 01:14:36 pm »
:-\ Thanks for making fun of me. I thought that if I posted it on this forum that I would have gotten genuine responses, but instead have gotten laughed in my face. Thank you burningdoom for having a genuine response.

Welcome to VGCollect. Burning doom meant no offense I'm sure. Most folks here on the forums are pretty cool. We do have a tendency to bust each other's chops though.

Don't take it too personally. I remember when I thought for sure PS3 had the ability to set the PS1 disc speed (it doesn't). That was an interesting discussion. :)

It is funny if you think about it that the plastics can change color so completely and uniformly that it's impossible to tell what it was originally.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 01:28:08 pm »
sorry mate, but your limited edition controller is not what you think it is.. lol, its just aged horribly  :P

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 02:30:43 pm »
Ok the REASON why I asked is because I hadn't heard of the NES Controllers yellowing this bad. I had seen many SNES having this problem, but not an NES Controller. Sorry for all the trouble.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 03:34:38 pm »
It's kind of cool anyway. I'm sure that's pretty rare regardless of whether it's intentional or not.

tpugmire

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 03:44:44 pm »
Yeah it's just yellowing from uv light. Most plastic used in electronics has bromine added as a flame retardant. The bromine reacts to the uv light, and voila! yellow consoles/controllers. If you're that concerned about it, Google retrobrite. It can be reversed, but it's quite the process and results vary.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 04:14:30 pm »
Ok the REASON why I asked is because I hadn't heard of the NES Controllers yellowing this bad. I had seen many SNES having this problem, but not an NES Controller. Sorry for all the trouble.

No trouble at all! :)

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 05:34:11 pm »
That's just a grossly yellowed controller..... burn it ._.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 08:13:22 pm »
That's just a grossly yellowed controller..... burn it ._.

Doesn't have to look right to play right. :)

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 08:43:26 pm »
Don't worry about it, everyone makes blunders like this. You won't believe how many dumb things I've asked both here and on other forums about my PS3 when I got it. It's no big deal, just another chance to learn something new. :3
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

ffxik

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 01:26:37 am »
The only bad thing about this is that when those plastics yellow to that degree they get brittle.  Try retrobrite though I don't think it will work wonders but it should help.

Couple things to note.  It's expensive to make.  It's also slow, takes multiple treatments and will need gracious amounts of UV light to make work properly, so either a UV lamp or a nice sunny day, though more than likely days.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.   :D