Author Topic: Do You Prefer Old Monsters (Zombies, etc.) or New Monsters (Las Plagas) in RE?  (Read 2992 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Like the title says, which do you prefer?

Do you like the Umbrella-themed monsters and zombies from the first set of Resident Evil games (RE: Code Veronica and before)? Or the Las Plagas inspired monsters from the new Resident Evil games (RE 4 and beyond) more??

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:38:11 pm by burningdoom »

azure

Classic RE for me, although I enjoy the new games as well.

Classic monsters... but yet, RE4 was my fav.

kashell

I like them both.

Both are good, though Las Plagas are far more interesting to fight.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

I like the classic monsters better, too. But then I'm biased, because I love horror movies, ESPECIALLY zombie movies.

And unlike most, I don't think RE 4 is the best in the series. I don't think it's the 2nd best, even. I like all the classic-style RE games more. RE 2 is the best one, IMO. I can't wait for the remake to come out!

While I do like and appreciate RE4, I sort of hold a grudge against it for sending the series into the direction it is currently in. It became more of an action shooter than a survival horror game, and with that the story (and monsters) became a lot less interesting to me.

I think RE4 will always be the greatest RE game by ridiculous margins for me, but then again I'm biased because I hate the control schemes of the old games lol

kashell

I think RE4 will always be the greatest RE game by ridiculous margins for me, but then again I'm biased because I hate the control schemes of the old games lol

That's how I feel. Resident Evil 4 reignited my interest in the series because it was so fun to play, whereas the first games with the tank-like control scheme were only fun to watch while someone else suffered/struggled with the controls.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

RE4 has tank controls, too. Up is always forwards. You just move faster.

It's more of a third person shooter than whatever the previous games were and you have proper aiming controls so you aren't just vaguely shooting in the direction of where you want to hit.  I actually need to go back and replay RE4 again sometime.  Haven't done that in years.  I was waiting for the high quality texture pack to get finished on PC so that I can utilize that which would be real nice.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:01:58 pm by kamikazekeeg »

kashell

It's more of a third person shooter than whatever the previous games were and you have proper aiming controls so you aren't just vaguely shooting in the direction of where you want to hit.  I actually need to go back and replay RE4 again sometime.  Haven't done that in years.  I was waiting for the high quality texture pack to get finished on PC so that I can utilize that which would be real nice.

Exactly. There's the ability to turn quickly, aim at certain body parts and just an overall smoother feel. It's been a hot minute since I played RE4, too. After playing The Evil Within, it made me want to replay RE4 but I never got around to it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

They added the turn quick thing in RE: Code Veronica, actually. But yeah, the aiming is MUCH better, and you move more quickly in general.

Here's that RE4 HD Texture Pack page if anyone is interested.  They are still just over half-way done, but they at least have the village area finished and seem to be close to getting the castle done.  http://www.re4hd.com/

kashell

Interesting, I have yet to try Code Veronica. That might be worth checking out.