Author Topic: TurboGrafx 16 or Sega Genesis?  (Read 4887 times)

Flashback2012

Re: TurboGrafx 16 or Sega Genesis?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 12:06:08 pm »
I have a bit of a soft spot for the TG16. It's a pretty cool system, and is even better if you region mod it. It is expensive to collect for, but the Japanese versions of the games are usually cheaper, even with shipping. That's where the region mod comes in. As far as the library goes, Genesis wins easily. But I generally like weird stuff like the TG16, CDi, etc.

You can't compare the turbo grafx with the CDI since the CDI has no good games at all. All games are bad and even the best ones are really mediocre except for dragon's lair.

Besides in Japan it was a very normal console alongside the snes super famicom however in Japan the sega genesis/megadrive was the console that was pretty uncommon in japan while in the western countries it is the turbo grafx wich is uncommon.

I think his comparison is more in the vein that the TG16 was the odd man out system here as were systems like the CD-i, Jaguar, 3DO, etc. Yeah it was more mainstream in Japan, more so than the Mega Drive, but I think in his reference he was talking from the US point of view. One COULD tap into the PC-Engine market if they knew how but that doesn't mean everyone did; at least back then before the days of the interwebs. :P

My personal experience was seeing screen shots of games in magazines like EGM and running up long distance rates calling places in the back of the magazines hoping they had the titles in stock.  :o

As for the CD-i having no good games, I'd largely agree as most people only focus on the Mario and Zelda games for it.

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 12:57:21 pm »
I have a bit of a soft spot for the TG16. It's a pretty cool system, and is even better if you region mod it. It is expensive to collect for, but the Japanese versions of the games are usually cheaper, even with shipping. That's where the region mod comes in. As far as the library goes, Genesis wins easily. But I generally like weird stuff like the TG16, CDi, etc.

You can't compare the turbo grafx with the CDI since the CDI has no good games at all. All games are bad and even the best ones are really mediocre except for dragon's lair.

Besides in Japan it was a very normal console alongside the snes super famicom however in Japan the sega genesis/megadrive was the console that was pretty uncommon in japan while in the western countries it is the turbo grafx wich is uncommon.

I think his comparison is more in the vein that the TG16 was the odd man out system here as were systems like the CD-i, Jaguar, 3DO, etc. Yeah it was more mainstream in Japan, more so than the Mega Drive, but I think in his reference he was talking from the US point of view. One COULD tap into the PC-Engine market if they knew how but that doesn't mean everyone did; at least back then before the days of the interwebs. :P

My personal experience was seeing screen shots of games in magazines like EGM and running up long distance rates calling places in the back of the magazines hoping they had the titles in stock.  :o

As for the CD-i having no good games, I'd largely agree as most people only focus on the Mario and Zelda games for it.

the only reason why people collect mainly the mario and zelda titles is just so that one has them since even hotel mario is not a good game.

The only good game on the cdi is dragon's lair wich is one of the best ports on the CDI.

One could argue that games like mutant rampage and the apprentice are good games because they are the best games on the cdi but in my opinion that is no excuse to call those good games since also those games are really mediocre.

If you like tetris you could argue that tetris on CDI is a good game, I'm one of those few persons that actually doesn't enjoy playing tetris. it's a trash game in my opinion.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 02:49:12 pm »
I loved the CD-i. I didn't own one, but we had them at my school. And it was way more fun to play the interactive educational mysteries/movies things than it was to do actual classwork.

But I wouldn't buy one, I don't like it that much, lol. I just liked it a lot more than schoolwork.

tpugmire

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 03:08:57 pm »
Didn't mean to derail the thread and make it about the CDi. I just meant that they are both slightly obscure system outside of retro gaming circles. Your personal opinions aside, I have found a few CDi games to be quite enjoyable, but the majority of the library does suck.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 03:34:11 pm »
Didn't mean to derail the thread and make it about the CDi. I just meant that they are both slightly obscure system outside of retro gaming circles. Your personal opinions aside, I have found a few CDi games to be quite enjoyable, but the majority of the library does suck.

Psshh, when do threads stay focused here?

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 04:53:03 pm »

Psshh, when do threads stay focused here?

Justified!

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 08:06:24 pm »
Something nobody has mentioned is the price of good turbo games compared to good genesis games.  In this respect genesis is far better.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 11:51:36 pm »

the only reason why people collect mainly the mario and zelda titles is just so that one has them since even hotel mario is not a good game.

The only good game on the cdi is dragon's lair wich is one of the best ports on the CDI.

One could argue that games like mutant rampage and the apprentice are good games because they are the best games on the cdi but in my opinion that is no excuse to call those good games since also those games are really mediocre.

If you like tetris you could argue that tetris on CDI is a good game, I'm one of those few persons that actually doesn't enjoy playing tetris. it's a trash game in my opinion.

Who shot Johnny Rock was a good game on CDi as was Burn Cycle. I also enjoyed Cluedo.

sworddude

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 11:57:45 am »

Who shot Johnny Rock was a good game on CDi as was Burn Cycle. I also enjoyed Cluedo.

Someone has a fetisch for bad movies and  ridiculously bad acting ::)

I appreciate bad acting and some of them movies are actually pretty good thanks to being bad, the cdi ones are just not in the same ball park as some of the classic bad movies or old action ninja flicks.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2016, 04:33:46 pm »
I appreciate that they tried to do something different. Burn Cycle had interactive 3D rendered environments and more gameplay variety than other attempts at fmv. Johnny Rock was actually one of the more decent shooters at the time and it randomized who the villain was each time so replay value was pretty good for a light gun game. The CDi lightgun also still works on modern TVs because it's IR based.

Clue is a very boring board game to me. But having an interactive story to it held my interest.

All three titles showed the CDi was a very capable machine. If it had been utilized properly we could have had some great games with great audio and cutscenes back in the SNES era. That's mind blowing.

3DO had better games but the video/audio fidelity was not as good. Compare Johnny Rock on CDi to Johnny Rock on 3DO both using S-Video. Absolutely no contest.

I'm not saying the CDi is or was a great system. I'm just saying we only a few times got short glimpses of what it could have been. It turns out it could have been pretty great.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:21:42 pm by dashv »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2016, 04:34:23 pm »
Sorry for the double post. I blame ios10. ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:21:03 pm by dashv »

sworddude

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2016, 04:48:40 pm »
I appreciate that they tried to do something different. Burn Cycle had interactive 3D rendered environments and more gameplay variety than other attempts at fmv. Johnny Rock was actually a decent one of the more decent shooters and it randomized who the villain was each time so replay value was pretty good for a light gun game.

Clue is a very boring board game to me. But having an interactive story to it held my interest.

All three titles showed the CDi was a very capable machine. If it had been utilized properly we could have had some great games with great audio and cutscenes back in the SNES era. That's mind blowing.

3DO had better games but the video/audio fidelity was not as good. Compare Johnny Rock on CDi to Johnny Rock on 3DO both using S-Video. Absolutely no contest.

I'm not saying the CDi is or was a great system. I'm just saying we only a few times got short glimpses of what it could have been. It turns out it could have been pretty great.

Potential yes, but in my opinion the only good game wich is worth playing on the CDI is dragon's lair, a classic and one of the better arcade ports for a home console. Pretty nice attempt at showing the video capabilities of the CDI, unfortunately it is the only solid title wich is actually good and worth playing on the CDI.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2016, 06:24:10 pm »
We'all just have to agree to disagree. :) clicking a button at the right time so the video keeps playing has never qualified as a legitimate game to me. :)

At least with the light gun dynamic there is some coordination involved. :)

Back on topic, I looked on eBay today and the prices of the more well known games (Adventure Island, Alien Crush, etc) are crazy! 3 games (complete) will run about $100-$200
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:26:36 pm by dashv »

sworddude

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 06:57:26 pm »
We'all just have to agree to disagree. :) clicking a button at the right time so the video keeps playing has never qualified as a legitimate game to me. :)

Could say the same things about the games you mentioned, aside that they are less enjoyable than dragon's lair.

Anyways dragon's lair is a pretty hard game also in the CDi version it is randomized so you can''t write down wich buttons you want to press in the right order to cheat.

I'm not saying it is one of the best games ever, it is just the best game on the CDI IMO.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2016, 12:45:00 am »

Could say the same things about the games you mentioned, aside that they are less enjoyable than dragon's lair.

Anyways dragon's lair is a pretty hard game also in the CDi version it is randomized so you can''t write down wich buttons you want to press in the right order to cheat.

I'm not saying it is one of the best games ever, it is just the best game on the CDI IMO.

Ya. I totally get it. Different tastes and all that. :)