Author Topic: TurboGrafx 16 or Sega Genesis?  (Read 4889 times)

TurboGrafx 16 or Sega Genesis?
« on: September 15, 2016, 01:41:57 pm »
Which would you rather have if you could only pick one?   :D   

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: TurboGrafx 16 or Sega Genesis?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 01:42:42 pm »
Sega Genesis, by a mile. Sega Genesis has a much bigger library and has more iconic titles in it's library. And it was backwards compatible with Sega Master System (if you have the adapter), nearly doubling that game library.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:58:11 pm by burningdoom »

kashell

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:10:45 pm »
Genesis.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 03:11:09 pm »
Genesis Does What the Turbo Don't

TurboGrafx is severely overrated.  There, I said it.  It's just not that great.  It did have a few games that I like, such as the Bonk games; but if you don't like shooters, that's about it.

I can't believe I'm about to gush about the Genesis....

The Genesis had some badass games.  Sonic sucks, but Castlevania, Contra, General Chaos, Mutant League Football, Ristar, Adventures of Batman & Robin, Gunstar Heroes, Rocket Knight, and Castle of Illusion are all GREAT games. That's just the ones off the top of my head.  There are more I'm sure. 

There you go.  The Nintendo fanboy gushing about Sega...  :o

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 03:32:26 pm »
Genesis for the sheer quantity of games, Turbo is awesome but doesn't compete with the greatness that is the Sega Genesis!
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 08:35:05 pm »
Genesis. While what I've seen of the Turbo isn't bad, I feel like it's just an also-ran that is too often propped up on the merit of being obscurity, like some other consoles of the same gen.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:36:41 pm by Warmsignal »

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 10:05:18 pm »
Pc engine if you have cd drive, and can speak japanese.

azure

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 10:45:29 pm »
Genesis for sure.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 02:15:21 am »
Genesis no contest. Sega did an amazing job positioning against the SNES and TG-16.

At one point Sega had 51% of the US console market.

stealthrush

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 05:00:48 am »
Mega Drive by a slim margin over PC Engine.
Mostly for a diverse and higher quality game library.

Although PC Engine CD over Sega CD any day.

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 06:34:23 am »
PC enigine does have castlevania rondo of blood, furthermore many ports are better on the pc engine take outrun, super ghouls'n ghosts or street fighter for example and also many exclusive shoot em ups etc.

Also if one thinks in numbers I think that sega has way more trash titles than the pc engine.

For now I give the win to sega but I think that the pc engine has a library that can compete with sega especially the japanese exclusive releases wich are not on the o so small library of the western turbo grafx.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:38:07 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 10:28:29 am »
Still to this day I have never owned a TG16 and likely never will. Outside a few shooters on the console it's library does not appeal to me much, especially when you consider how expensive the system is to collect for. I have found one TG16 game in the wild in my years of collecting (Bloody Wolf) and even if I did end up finding the system and a decent lot of games for it for a good price I doubt I'd collect for it.

With that said, I LOVE the Genesis! I am one of those rare people that actually prefer to the SNES given it's excellent action games and glut of amazing SHMUPs. I also liked Sonic more than Mario in the 16-bit era, and only DKC and DKC2 even come close to touching Sonic imo.

tpugmire

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 11:13:31 am »
I have a bit of a soft spot for the TG16. It's a pretty cool system, and is even better if you region mod it. It is expensive to collect for, but the Japanese versions of the games are usually cheaper, even with shipping. That's where the region mod comes in. As far as the library goes, Genesis wins easily. But I generally like weird stuff like the TG16, CDi, etc.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 11:49:05 am »
I have a bit of a soft spot for the TG16. It's a pretty cool system, and is even better if you region mod it. It is expensive to collect for, but the Japanese versions of the games are usually cheaper, even with shipping. That's where the region mod comes in. As far as the library goes, Genesis wins easily. But I generally like weird stuff like the TG16, CDi, etc.

You can't compare the turbo grafx with the CDI since the CDI has no good games at all. All games are bad and even the best ones are really mediocre except for dragon's lair.

Besides in Japan it was a very normal console alongside the snes super famicom however in Japan the sega genesis/megadrive was the console that was pretty uncommon in japan while in the western countries it is the turbo grafx wich is uncommon.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:51:06 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Flashback2012

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 11:56:31 am »
If we're talking the US Market releases against each other with all add-ons and what not then it's the Sega Genesis by a country mile. I fully tricked out Genesis has the Sega CD and 32X as well as the library of nearly all the SMS and that's pretty hard for the Turbografx (or even the NES and SNES) to beat. Even without that if we're talking Genesis carts to the TG16's HuCards only (and only for the US), it'd still go to the Genesis.

It pains me a little to say that since I actually traded away my Genesis to my cousin for his TG16 when I was a kid and grew up trying to collect for the TG16. There was a small renaissance for the system near the end of the Duo's life which I have a lot of fond memories of including dabbling in imports for the first time seriously and enjoying games like Rondo of Blood while my friends were oblivious to its existence.

From a collector's standpoint, it was more fun to collect for the TG16 than the Genesis though to be fair, Genesis titles were more abundant.  :P