Author Topic: Virtual Reality, Future or Fad?  (Read 1841 times)

Virtual Reality, Future or Fad?
« on: September 15, 2016, 02:27:56 pm »
Do you see VR being the future of gaming and the standard in which most games will be played in the future? Or do you see it as a passing fad?  :D    Do you plan on buying a VR headset soon? 

kashell

Re: Virtual Reality, Future or Fad?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 03:06:53 pm »
I don't plan on getting a VR set anytime soon.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 04:56:36 pm »
I really enjoy my Oculus and am really excited to see the Oculus Touch controllers, I don't really know if we can actually say it's going to be the future or just a fad.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 05:46:09 pm »
It's both, it's just a gimmick really.  It's like motion controls, they didn't take over, but they are still a thing and have a place.  VR works mostly with very specific styles of games or novelty experiences designed specifically around VR as the big focus, but they aren't going to become what everyone uses to play every game.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 08:38:27 pm »
Fad. I really hope. I just want to play a game with a controller that has buttons you press. I don't want wear something, I don't want to swing something, swipe something, point something. Just press buttons.

dreama1

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 09:58:12 pm »
The future.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 02:38:20 am »
Fad. I really hope. I just want to play a game with a controller that has buttons you press. I don't want wear something, I don't want to swing something, swipe something, point something. Just press buttons.

I can't believe I'm saying this. But if I was 10-20 years younger I would love this VR stuff. But after a long day/week of work it can be hard to devote just the mental focus to a game let alone be physically active with a weight on my head.

Resident Evil in VR does have me intrigued. But honestly I don't want to play every game in VR.

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 03:06:39 am »
Resident Evil in VR does have me intrigued. But honestly I don't want to play every game in VR.

If someone I know gets the PSVR headset, I am also somewhat interested in Resident Evil VR.  Normally I'm not for more straightforward horror experiences, like what they are seemingly do with RE7, kinda mixing elements of RE with like Outlast, but this is kind of becoming one of the poster child games for it right now.  Can see how a lot of it will work in the trailers for the game.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 04:28:48 am »
Fad, especially with because of how Sony is intending to release it, not many people are going to upgrade to a ps4 pro, so not many people will develop for the peripheral after the initial launch.

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 04:43:00 am »
Fad, especially with because of how Sony is intending to release it, not many people are going to upgrade to a ps4 pro, so not many people will develop for the peripheral after the initial launch.

The PS4 Pro isn't required to utilize the PSVR, unless I'm misreading what you are trying to say.

stealthrush

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 05:02:02 am »
Do you see VR being the future of gaming and the standard in which most games will be played in the future? Or do you see it as a passing fad?  :D    Do you plan on buying a VR headset soon?

Fad.

It will always be a fad, it will never come around. In the future VR will surpass our previous expectations of what we defined as Virtual Reality.

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 10:30:32 am »
I played EVE Valkyrie on a Playstation VR last weekend and was very impressed! I can see it becoming a lot more popular once the technology becomes more affordable, but yeah, I'd lean more towards saying it's the future.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 02:47:08 pm »
It's still too bulky, unwieldy, and expensive for it to really take off. Not much has changed since the 90s attempt at virtual reality, besides more power and better graphics.

Now, if it was like the holodeck on Star Trek: The Next Generation; then that would be amazing I could totally see that taking off.

robertoman

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 04:08:34 pm »
I think its just a fad that will die off eventually.

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 10:46:42 pm »
If it's anything like Sword Art Online, then it's the wave of the future.