Author Topic: What is your favorite GameBoy?  (Read 1645 times)

What is your favorite GameBoy?
« on: September 17, 2016, 01:14:37 pm »
Which game boy model do you like best? :D. Original, Color, Advance, Advance SP, Micro, Light, Pocket ect...

Which gen of Gameboy do you like best for  Looks, Collecting, Comfort, Portability and overall efficiency :D  also which did you have as a kid?

My favorite is the Gameboy SP, it wins on all fronts for me.  Its portable, it closes to protect the screen from change or keys, its screen is back lit, and it plays all the games from all gens. It is definitely my favorite. especially an AGS 101.  :).

For looks I like the Gameboy Light best, that greenish blue back light is dreamy  ;D

Re: What is your favorite GameBoy?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 01:27:56 pm »
For ergonomics I like the original GBA. I also like Micro for ultra portable gameplay!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 01:29:45 pm »
Game Boy Player for the GameCube. Playing Game Boy games on your T.V. is the best way to go. There's also the Super Game Boy on Super Nintendo. Uses a better controller for those games, but won't play most GBC game and won't play any GBA games. The GB Player plays them all. And they look sooooo much better on an actual T.V.

As for actual, portable Game Boys, I have to go with the GBA-SP. Great, bright screen, smart design that protects that screen, great library of games, and backwards compatible with original & color games.

stealthrush

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 02:46:25 pm »
Game Boy Pocket (Green) since it was my firs GB system, still have it today.

anagar

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 03:24:37 pm »
I had the GameBoy Color, GBA, and Micro when I was growing up. Still have them.
I like the Micro cause I can just slip it into my pocket and I still do once in a while. 
PSN,Wii U/NID:ANA_GAR XBL:ANAGARXB 3DS/FC:4441-9981-8329

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 03:30:18 pm »
Nostalgia wise, Original GameBoy. It was my first handheld. I did months of odd jobs for my grandparents to save up money to buy one from a kid in school.

I got it with Tetris, Tennis, and Baseball.

Had to hide it from my parents for a while because they would have made me share it with my 3 younger sisters.

My other grandparents got me Links Awakening for Christmas and it blew my mind. Aside from being greenscale it was the closest I'd ever get as a kid to Super Nintendo quality graphics. Super Mario Land 2 and 3 were also amazing.

Eventually my parents found out and got my sisters a GameBoy to share. They also got them their own games and they didn't have to share them with me. But I had to share mine with them. Total double standard.

Back on topic. Now my aging eyes prefer the GameBoy Advance SP 101 model. Great lighted screen and excellent compatibility.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:33:21 pm by dashv »

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 03:45:58 pm »
My favorite game boy would have to be the sp.  It was my first system and has a backlight.  For storage purposes though the original game boy wins because it does not have an upper lip like gbc/gba. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:48:04 pm by 98dgreen »

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 04:09:28 pm »
With every console there is always one variant that I strive to find. With the Gameboy series, I really want a Pikachu SP someday.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 04:36:56 pm »
My favourite Gameboy is the SP, It has the best design small also the one I Owned back in the day. I had the groudon version and I still kept the cardboard box with inserts wich is still in great shape since I forgot about it but it was stored pretty nicely.

But in all seriousness, the only portable system that is acceptable to play on for me is a 3ds XL or the newer ones with the large screens. That was definitly a life chancer since the screens are so big for handheld games. It is so strange that even the normal games like mario kart DS are so much more fun on a bigger screen, such small difference changing the game so much,  I can never go back to those small screens on the GBA when it comes to playing games on a portable system or the older ds lite systems wich have the same size screens as the gameboy advance.

For gba games I'll always play on the gamecube gameboy player with a GC component cable wich is way more fun than playing on a small screen. The 3ds XL screen is acceptable but playing on a big tv screen is way more fun.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 05:16:39 pm »
As a kid, I grew up with the original cinderblock Game Boy and the Game Boy Color. For my birthday, I got a Game Boy Advance a few days before it was released to major retailers. I'm not sure how my parents pulled that one off, but they did. I didn't have any games to play on it, but I still felt awesome for having one.

I love the look of the 3DSXL, but overall I have to give this one to the GBA SP. It's comfortable, super portable, has a great selection of games and the screen light is just a fantastic idea.

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 06:02:07 pm »
GBA SP also for me.  It had a great design and I had one of those rubber grips you could attach to it to make it more of a controller, so while it slightly loses some of the portability because of it, it actually was very comfortable to play.  Don't have it anymore, I even got a custom Halo skin I made for it years ago (Could tell what I was into at the time with that with weekly LAN parties for the game lol).  I gave it to my little cousin a few years ago, so maybe some day if they kept it, I'll see about getting it back.

telly

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 06:08:32 pm »
The SP by far. The GBA advance in general is such a fantastic handheld, and the SP was even better.
Currently Playing:
Super Monkey Ball (GC), Tunic (Switch), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 09:37:16 pm »
For gba games I'll always play on the gamecube gameboy player with a GC component cable wich is way more fun than playing on a small screen.
Would never spend 250+ on a cable

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 10:40:31 pm »
I never even took handhelds seriously until the GBA came out. Before then, console games were just sooo much better than handheld games, that I didn't bother with them.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 12:43:35 am »
I never even took handhelds seriously until the GBA came out. Before then, console games were just sooo much better than handheld games, that I didn't bother with them.

If you never played Links Awakening do yourself a favor and get the DX version (it's in color).

The game is a masterpiece.