Author Topic: Should Nintendo release a 2nd virtual boy?  (Read 2606 times)

Should Nintendo release a 2nd virtual boy?
« on: September 22, 2016, 07:53:34 pm »
With VR becoming more and more of the craze, I cant help but think back to the original virtual reality headset :D  The Virtual boy was essentially the same idea and general premise but it came 20 years to early and nobody was ready for it yet, and the technology wasnt there and nintendo wasn't as capable at the time. And the original was a disastrous failure. The canning resemblance of some of these new VR headsets is stunning.

Nintendo could release Virtual Boy II lol. the internet would go crazy, Nintendo throwing their hat in the VR ring, Slimmer, lighter, perfected Virtual Reality module. It would have a strap this time, a more perfected tripod,  It would have a arsenal of titles and it would come with a special Mario tennis optimized for it.  It would be revolutionary.  :D  It would explode the VR scene and win the whole world over.  Erasing the bad memories of the original virtual boy.  Flawless 1080p graphics, no red lights. soothing virtual reality.  Mario, Luigi's mansion, it will feel like you are there :)

I know it most likely wont happen but its a dream of mine to see the VB get a second chance.  I loved the concept. It was just bad timing.  I hope if Nintendo does release a VR headset they call it virtual boy 2. 

The oculus rift, HTC Vive and the PS VR all share similar design with the Virtual Boy.  They lack the Nintendo titles though and they lack the Nintendo charm.  If Nintendo could release the Virtual Boy 2 and actually put some awesome titles and maybe even implement it with pokemon go they could win the VR race before it even began :)

Re: Should Nintendo release a 2nd virtual boy?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 09:20:59 pm »
i don't think Nintendo can handle another failed system lol.

stealthrush

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 09:43:03 pm »
No, let the fad disappear already.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 10:20:32 pm »
They could actually handle a lot more failed systems, Nintendo is a pretty rich company.

Flashback2012

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 12:52:42 am »

This is the correct response.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 02:04:13 am »
A Virtual Boy 2 would be disastrous right now.  The VR market is incredibly crowded right now, all of them are crazy expensive, and that once again puts them in direct conflict with other companies, which Nintendo has ZERO chance of winning.  Nintendo has no possibly of being a direct competitor again with other companies, so they have to find other methods of attraction to their stuff, such as utilizing what is successful for them, their portables.  The NX might give them some ground to work with.

Also the VB wasn't bad timing, it was a garbage system lol

The 3D on the 3DS is actually much more in line as a VB successor and what it was trying to accomplish, it just did it in a way that was more feasible and mostly worked, though it was never an interesting feature. 

The Virtual Boy needs to remain dead lol

robertoman

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 08:26:14 am »

It pretty much just boils down to this statement, All VR is, is just a fad that will eventually die off like motion controls. It's just another passing fad.

kashell

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 09:17:35 am »

Word.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 10:20:33 am »
They could actually handle a lot more failed systems, Nintendo is a pretty rich company.
It it not that they don't have enough money it is that consumer confidence is way low already.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 10:56:53 am »

Nintendo is sitting on so much money that they could release two or three more failed systems in a row before there was any talk of financial instability. The amount of money they made off the DS and Wii alone could fund two new console developments and releases on its own.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 10:58:08 am »
No.... Just no...

Please just let VR go away.  It's a cool gimmick, but that's about it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 12:49:48 pm »
No.... Just no...

Please just let VR go away.  It's a cool gimmick, but that's about it.

This.

We've already been through this fad in the 90s, and it died quickly. People say the technology has gotten better, but not really. All that's gotten better are screens and graphics. You still have all that expensive, clunky, and awkward equipment strapped to your head. And that's the part that turns off a lot of people.

If we ever get to like how Holodecks are in Star Trek, then I see people losing their lives to VR, though. But we're far from that.

indenton

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 09:39:35 am »
You know, the lot of you sound like a bunch of dismissive old grannies who don't like a new thing, therefore no one can have it.  When you start hearing people curving there vocabulary towards term like 'Fad', you can just tell that they've recognised something as big and interesting but they just want it to fail for reasons.  Don't know if any of you remember, but the Internet was also a 'fad' from the 90s... good call one that one. 

Don't get me wrong, not sure about Nintendo taking this path again per se. 
We've already been through this fad in the 90s, and it died quickly. People say the technology has gotten better, but not really. All that's gotten better are screens and graphics. You still have all that expensive, clunky, and awkward equipment strapped to your head. And that's the part that turns off a lot of people.

We certainly haven't improved programming methods, artists, sound designers, composers, processsors, RAM or controller interfaces, thanks to improved technology.  I can't see any of that in society.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:41:14 am by indenton »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 01:55:38 pm »
I think Nintendo should release the NX instead of teasing about it vaguely for 2 years while simultaneously ignoring the complete lack of support for their current flagship console.

maximo310

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 09:47:14 pm »
You know, the lot of you sound like a bunch of dismissive old grannies who don't like a new thing, therefore no one can have it.  When you start hearing people curving there vocabulary towards term like 'Fad', you can just tell that they've recognised something as big and interesting but they just want it to fail for reasons.  Don't know if any of you remember, but the Internet was also a 'fad' from the 90s... good call one that one. 

Don't get me wrong, not sure about Nintendo taking this path again per se. 

We certainly haven't improved programming methods, artists, sound designers, composers, processsors, RAM or controller interfaces, thanks to improved technology.  I can't see any of that in society.
Technology improvement doesn't necessary mean better.  You get more options with better technology, but it doesn't always mean that it will better utilized.

As with the VR argument, I think most people aren't too impressed considering VR has at least 3 PC generations before becoming an actual means of true immersion, due to a need in better technology. The current lineup of VR, as new as it is, is still seen as gimmicky due to its layout and marketing, not to mention the price point is still kinda high for an accessory.  I think new and practical ideas on VR that can't be done elsewhere would convince more people to buy one, but right now it looks like a novelty.