Author Topic: Secret Santa 2016  (Read 29371 times)

Re: Interest for Secret Santa 2016
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2016, 06:56:35 am »
I'm in. If I get someone overseas is it ok.

I am fine with $50. But please no higher. I am expecting with shipping to out of country I'll probably spend close to $100 total.

For folks that have shipped international before any tips?

Do I need to mail it out first week of November to be sure it gets there before Christmas?
if you are shipping to Canada, if it is under 4lb. It is hard to beat usps first class i think.

Elsewhere, I want to say sadly fedex has the best rates for international, but you can gets shipping quotes online.

As for arrival, i think it is usually about 2-3 weeks.

kashell

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2016, 09:26:25 am »
I've created a wish list and have sent Soera my shipping information.

Also, I'll try to find the threads from previous Secret Santas and post them on here. Last year's was fun, but the one from 2014 completely wowed me. Not only did I get a great gift, but you could see my view on the concept of Secret Santa go from pessimistic to enthusiastic.

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2016, 10:24:06 am »
Also, I'll try to find the threads from previous Secret Santas and post them on here. Last year's was fun, but the one from 2014 completely wowed me. Not only did I get a great gift, but you could see my view on the concept of Secret Santa go from pessimistic to enthusiastic.
I have a similar mindset, but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I got my wishlist down under 50 this year, but what's left isn't mostly cheap, so I'm knocking my wishlist back up with some cheaper stuff I've been wanting.  Working on that right now.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:28:02 am by ignition365 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2016, 11:03:11 pm »
I'd imagine a lot of us have very large, multipage wishlists that people won't want to go through.

I think it would be easier if we were able to post/turn-in a top 10 wishlist (within the price-range), or something.

mrnikon

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 12:59:57 am »
I keep wanting to get in this but its always too late. looks like I might have just made it this time?

desocietas

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 02:14:36 am »
I'd imagine a lot of us have very large, multipage wishlists that people won't want to go through.

I think it would be easier if we were able to post/turn-in a top 10 wishlist (within the price-range), or something.

For me, the more options, the better. More of a potential surprise, and I like trying to hunt down things I wouldn't normally look for.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2016, 03:18:53 am »
I usually give Soera a list that's a subset of my wishlist. Stuff that I commit to not getting for myself during the time of the secret Santa and I make it a big enough list that they can still surprise me. I also put some random stuff in there that's pretty wide open. Like "Any amiibo" or something like that.

I don't want my secret Santa worrying about whether or not I'm going to buy the thing from my wishlist before they can gift it to me.

kashell

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 08:55:34 am »
The only time I utilize the Wish List feature on here is during Secret Santa.

desocietas

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2016, 09:52:29 am »
I usually give Soera a list that's a subset of my wishlist. Stuff that I commit to not getting for myself during the time of the secret Santa and I make it a big enough list that they can still surprise me. I also put some random stuff in there that's pretty wide open. Like "Any amiibo" or something like that.

I don't want my secret Santa worrying about whether or not I'm going to buy the thing from my wishlist before they can gift it to me.

This! This is important. I've definitely ordered something for a SS and then came to the forum to find that they bought it for themselves. Had to deal with returning items (or eating the cost) and starting over with the shopping ideas.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

telly

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2016, 10:06:02 am »
Should we wait to send our wishlists until we get the full thread going and the price point settled on? I mean, this is still the interest thread after all  :o
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2016, 10:22:35 am »
I try not to buy anything on my wishlist during Secret Santa time.  This weekend is probably going to be my last major outing before x-mas.

I like to add an addendum to my lists, if you have some game in mind you think I'd like but I don't own, go for it.  It might wind up a new favorite and I just don't know because I've never played it.

I always want to add a statement like any N64/SNES game I don't own, but that's just not reasonable to do that kind of work to figure out what I have and don't have.

It's just too hard to make the time or effort to figure that stuff out, especially when you don't have the time to go hunting or shopping in general.

kashell

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2016, 10:47:19 am »
Should we wait to send our wishlists until we get the full thread going and the price point settled on? I mean, this is still the interest thread after all  :o

I don't think it could hurt. Soe-soe is organized and he'll keep track of everything.

I try not to buy anything on my wishlist during Secret Santa time.  This weekend is probably going to be my last major outing before x-mas.

I like to add an addendum to my lists, if you have some game in mind you think I'd like but I don't own, go for it.  It might wind up a new favorite and I just don't know because I've never played it.

I always want to add a statement like any N64/SNES game I don't own, but that's just not reasonable to do that kind of work to figure out what I have and don't have.

It's just too hard to make the time or effort to figure that stuff out, especially when you don't have the time to go hunting or shopping in general.

I'll still peruse certain stores, but I won't buy anything from ye olde Wish List. I also like the idea of adding an addendum; if there's a PlayStation 2 game out there that my gifter thinks I'd like and the price is nice then have at it! I think I convinced my giftee last year to check out more in the Atelier series. ^.^

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2016, 12:44:27 pm »
I guess I need to work on updating my wishlist, then, since it seems I'm the only one that wants to turn in a shorter wishlist. It's been a long time, and I kind of keep my wishlist up-to-date on my trading site, instead.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2016, 02:03:06 pm »
I guess I need to work on updating my wishlist, then, since it seems I'm the only one that wants to turn in a shorter wishlist. It's been a long time, and I kind of keep my wishlist up-to-date on my trading site, instead.

Doom, I'm with ya my brotha.  My wishlist is a list of shit I want.  I'll get 10-15 that are in the price range and I'll send a list to soera.  These are 10-15 things that I promise not to buy.   ;)

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2016, 02:19:06 pm »
I try not to buy much of anything for myself once names are handed out, just in case.  Same thing applies so I don't go out and buy something that my wife or a family member might be buying me.  Though, in previous years, everybody refuses to buy video games because they think it's a phase for me and that I really wouldn't appreciate it as much as say... a usb mini-lamp or a TV show themed Yahtzee.