Author Topic: Secret Santa 2016  (Read 29379 times)

desocietas

Re: Interest for Secret Santa 2016
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2016, 03:42:46 pm »
I try not to buy much of anything for myself once names are handed out, just in case.  Same thing applies so I don't go out and buy something that my wife or a family member might be buying me.  Though, in previous years, everybody refuses to buy video games because they think it's a phase for me and that I really wouldn't appreciate it as much as say... a usb mini-lamp or a TV show themed Yahtzee.

Ha, "a phase." Thankfully my friends/family know I'm interested in most anything/everything videogame-related. But yeah, I'm the same way - I try not to buy anything for myself when it gets closer to the holidays. Definitely nothing for myself during the month of December (allowing myself a little leeway if I see a must-have item during Black Friday/Cyber Monday).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2016, 03:46:03 pm »
If I'm ever in a different city, I'll try to scope out a new game store. But that will be the only time I make a potential purchase.

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2016, 03:49:00 pm »
I try not to buy much of anything for myself once names are handed out, just in case.  Same thing applies so I don't go out and buy something that my wife or a family member might be buying me.  Though, in previous years, everybody refuses to buy video games because they think it's a phase for me and that I really wouldn't appreciate it as much as say... a usb mini-lamp or a TV show themed Yahtzee.

Ha, "a phase." Thankfully my friends/family know I'm interested in most anything/everything videogame-related. But yeah, I'm the same way - I try not to buy anything for myself when it gets closer to the holidays. Definitely nothing for myself during the month of December (allowing myself a little leeway if I see a must-have item during Black Friday/Cyber Monday).
My eldest sister, who is usually the most annoying and least pleasant, actually got me the cooler of the gifts I received last year.  She bought me pretty big Toad and Yoshi statues, that I presume she got from a flea market.  These are the types of things I always hope to get, random video game related stuff that I wouldn't buy myself.

desocietas

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2016, 03:49:27 pm »
Do you think folks need to specify about if they care about complete-in-box and/or used items? I assume that, since we're all collectors, used is fine but I know some folks feel strongly about CIB (and player's choice items  ;) ).
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2016, 03:53:09 pm »
Do you think folks need to specify about if they care about complete-in-box and/or used items? I assume that, since we're all collectors, used is fine but I know some folks feel strongly about CIB (and player's choice items  ;) ).
If you are using the wishlist feature, you should be using the notes feature.  I mark whether or not I want an item complete or if loose is fine.  Shoot, I even have a few games where I already have the box and just want the game and manual.  Though, last year I marked Game, Manual, Box for a game and that was ignored.  *shrug*

Which reminds me, I have a game that I have the box and manual for and have had for over a year now and really need to make sure I know to get it at some point down the line.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:07:14 pm by ignition365 »

kashell

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2016, 03:56:09 pm »

I made notes in my Wish List. Hopefully everyone else does the same.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2016, 04:07:01 pm »

You can already specify that when you add an item to your wishlist.

desocietas

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2016, 05:47:10 pm »

I made notes in my Wish List. Hopefully everyone else does the same.

Yeah I definitely do. The more info, the better :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2016, 11:37:40 pm »
I guess I need to work on updating my wishlist, then, since it seems I'm the only one that wants to turn in a shorter wishlist. It's been a long time, and I kind of keep my wishlist up-to-date on my trading site, instead.

Doom, I'm with ya my brotha.  My wishlist is a list of shit I want.  I'll get 10-15 that are in the price range and I'll send a list to soera.  These are 10-15 things that I promise not to buy.   ;)

My wish list is practically empty because I already have every game I ever wanted. The wishlist feature was a powerful tool for helping me stay aware and prioritize my purchases.

Only stuff left is new-old discoveries and unreleased titles.

This year for secret Santa I'm putting together a list of "I would be content if someone got this for me and I will probably never buy it for myself."

I too am fine with "surprise me with something I don't have that you think I might like."

I have a Silent Hill game in my back catalog from Telly that I intend to jump into next year.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:42:02 pm by dashv »

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2016, 01:03:23 pm »
Sign me up ! ;D
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

kashell

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2016, 08:36:43 am »
Here are the links for previous Secret Santas. The one from 2014 deserves a special mention because you can watch my outlook go from cynical to optimistic.

2015:
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6559.0.html

2014:
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,5554.15.html

2013:
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,4178.0.html

I really enjoyed re-reading these.

telly

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2016, 01:24:19 pm »
Don't forget the loot thread from last year!  :D

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6664.0.html
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2016, 01:39:32 pm »
Oh yes! Also a good one to look at again! Thanks for posting that, telly!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2016, 01:40:26 pm »
Could I request that people reply with a reaction after they get their gift?

I remember one year that I participated where I sent someone an item off their wishlist, but also stuffed the box to the brim with all kinds of little extras. I wanted to see how the person enjoyed all of those extras, and I never heard anything about it.

I know, it sounds a little self-centered, sorry, but I like hear about the reaction.

telly

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2016, 01:41:29 pm »
Oh yes! Also a good one to look at again! Thanks for posting that, telly!

Especially the video of you, me and Redblaze opening our gifts on the podcast. So much fun man, we gotta do that again this year!

Could I request that people reply with a reaction after they get their gift?

I remember one year that I participated where I sent someone an item off their wishlist, but also stuffed the box to the brim with all kinds of little extras. I wanted to see how the person enjoyed all of those extras, and I never heard anything about it.

I know, it sounds a little self-centered, sorry, but I like hear about the reaction.

That's why we filmed ourselves so we got an honest reaction when we opened our gift. It was a blast.
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery