Author Topic: Secret Santa 2016  (Read 29738 times)

indenton

Re: Interest for Secret Santa 2016
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2016, 11:35:09 pm »
So, have we decided on $50 for the spending limit? I wonder if it's time to actually start up the actual Secret Santa thread soon..
That seems to be the number we're trending at

I included some locally made candy last year, too. Hopefully it was tasty.
Hmm, that's not a half bad idea!

kashell

« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2016, 08:34:20 am »
So, have we decided on $50 for the spending limit? I wonder if it's time to actually start up the actual Secret Santa thread soon..

I think 50 dollars is the winner.

I really enjoy this time of year because I like buying gifts for others. The fact that I get to buy video games, my favorite thing ever, makes it all the more sweeter!

« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2016, 09:18:06 am »
Did we ever get confirmation on whether or not it is an upper limit or a spend roughly this much money?

I think a lot of people agreed that it should be "spend roughly this much money".

soera

« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2016, 10:37:19 am »
I shouldnt call it a limit. I should call it "be at this point at least".

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2016, 10:55:47 am »
Hello i have a question:
Do we send our wishlist after the 3 week sign in limit or during?
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

azure

« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2016, 11:07:44 am »
First year doing the SS, and was wondering. Should I form a centralized list of specific things for participation, or is my VGC wishlist fine? Which have you members preferred in the past? I ask because I use my wishlist here to keep up with things I still want/need, and it's pretty large.

kashell

« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2016, 11:12:07 am »
First year doing the SS, and was wondering. Should I form a centralized list of specific things for participation, or is my VGC wishlist fine? Which have you members preferred in the past? I ask because I use my wishlist here to keep up with things I still want/need, and it's pretty large.

I don't think it matters as long as you're pretty clear about what you're hoping for. The first year I participated, I used my recipient's wish list. Last year, I got a general description passed from the recipient to Soera that described the sorts of games to look for.

rayne315

« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2016, 04:24:16 pm »
Did we ever get confirmation on whether or not it is an upper limit or a spend roughly this much money?

I think a lot of people agreed that it should be "spend roughly this much money".

$50 minimum... sounds about right
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2016, 04:25:26 pm »
I shouldnt call it a limit. I should call it "be at this point at least".
So minimally $50.  Got it.

I'm still slowly updating my wishlist.

I usually send refer to my VGC wishlist and then add an addendum or two.  Usually the, feel free to go off book if you think it's something I'd like but don't own (which usually makes for a better mystery gift), or some folks like to mention other interests like comic books, anime, movies, plushies, etc.  Throwing in a statement like any game I don't own for X because I want more X games is kind of unreasonable and most SS probably wouldn't go for something like that.

I think last year I threw in some stuff that I didn't have on my VGC wishlist, because I wanted the games, but didn't actually care to track them.  I had like 1000 games on my wishlist a year or two ago, but I removed tons of it because I decided that a lot of the games weren't a high priority to me and it made looking at my wishlist quite daunting, so there are tons of stuff not on my list that would be good gifts for me, but I figure those games probably fall into the category of "if you think I'd like it, but don't own it"

kashell

« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2016, 08:43:51 am »
$50 dollar minimum sounds good to me, too.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2016, 11:24:39 am »
I still like the $30-$50 range that was originally suggested. $50, at a minimum, seems a bit steep to me. Because at a $50 minimum, people will probably expect more like $75. I don't spend more than $50 on some family members.

But it looks like I'll be in the minority, there. Like I said before, if that's the case, I'll still play ball.

desocietas

« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2016, 11:27:46 am »
I still like the $30-$50 range that was originally suggested. $50, at a minimum, seems a bit steep to me. Because at a $50 minimum, people will probably expect more like $75. I don't spend more than $50 on some family members.

But it looks like I'll be in the minority, there. Like I said before, if that's the case, I'll still play ball.

Hopefully folks won't be expecting $75. When I see $50 minimum, I think folks should just expect about $50 worth of stuff. Whether it cost the SS $50 or not... well... (just saying, some of us are able to find good deals!) though personally if I get a good deal, I still try to add some goodies to bring the cost to me up to $50.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2016, 11:31:57 am »
I went slightly over 50 last year only because of the shipping rates.

« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2016, 12:02:19 pm »

Hopefully folks won't be expecting $75. When I see $50 minimum, I think folks should just expect about $50 worth of stuff. Whether it cost the SS $50 or not... well... (just saying, some of us are able to find good deals!) though personally if I get a good deal, I still try to add some goodies to bring the cost to me up to $50.
Same here.  I go for $50 spent and I generally get good deals, so I stretch my dollar as best I can.

I see $50 minimum, I expect $50 value.

kashell

« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2016, 12:04:17 pm »
I see $50 minimum, I expect $50 value.

Word. This is how I feel.