Author Topic: The Nintendo Switch (Formerly NX) - March 2017  (Read 19101 times)

Re: The Nintendo Switch (Formerly NX) - March 2017
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2016, 08:30:26 am »
So according to a reporter over at WSJ, Nintendo's statement is basically no more official announcements this year in regards to titles on Switch and specs, including whether or not it is region locked.

kashell

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2016, 08:30:59 am »
Wait a tick...I thought it was already announced that there was no region locking. O_o

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2016, 08:36:27 am »
Wait a tick...I thought it was already announced that there was no region locking. O_o
Not announced.  Reported.  Journalists love to make shit up to get page views, so it's possible it's BS.

kashell

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2016, 08:45:48 am »
Not announced.  Reported.  Journalists love to make shit up to get page views, so it's possible it's BS.

Well that makes my heart frown.

Bwigdahl

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2016, 09:05:23 am »
So since this is what the Wii U should've been from the start Wii U owners get a discount right? Wishful thinking.

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2016, 09:31:57 am »
Bethesda made the statement that they have no confirmed games for Nintendo Switch, so even though Skyrim was shown, it could never release for Switch... but it probably will.

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2016, 01:13:57 pm »
While it was clear that the Wii U wouldn't have physical backwards compatibility with the Switch, seems 3DS won't either.  Likely only digital with that.  Tad disappointing, but as long as I can still get it through the eshop and play some of the games I skipped there, I'll be alright with this.

silversyx

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2016, 05:48:27 pm »
While it was clear that the Wii U wouldn't have physical backwards compatibility with the Switch, seems 3DS won't either.  Likely only digital with that.  Tad disappointing, but as long as I can still get it through the eshop and play some of the games I skipped there, I'll be alright with this.
They may not get them out very quickly unfortunately... It took a long time for Wii and DS to come to Wii U. I hope Wii U and 3DS come much quicker to Switch.

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2016, 05:53:02 pm »
They may not get them out very quickly unfortunately... It took a long time for Wii and DS to come to Wii U. I hope Wii U and 3DS come much quicker to Switch.

Hoping that too, that maybe a lot of the Wii U and 3DS games that are already available can just be brought over easily with little work.  The Wii U stuff doesn't bother me though, I own basically everything I want already and I'm not getting rid of my Wii U (I ain't losing my Hyrule Warriors data!), and it seems like the Switch could be getting enhanced ports of Wii U games anyways, but I only own a few 3DS games and most of what I've played were Zelda games.  I skipped out on most 3DS games because I don't really like playing on handhelds.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:55:12 pm by kamikazekeeg »

silversyx

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2016, 06:05:15 pm »

Hoping that too, that maybe a lot of the Wii U and 3DS games that are already available can just be brought over easily with little work.  The Wii U stuff doesn't bother me though, I own basically everything I want already and I'm not getting rid of my Wii U (I ain't losing my Hyrule Warriors data!), and it seems like the Switch could be getting enhanced ports of Wii U games anyways, but I only own a few 3DS games and most of what I've played were Zelda games.  I skipped out on most 3DS games because I don't really like playing on handhelds.
OHH!!! 3DS games on the TV!!!! I will rebuy my whole fucking library for that!!!

« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2016, 06:47:48 pm »

OHH!!! 3DS games on the TV!!!! I will rebuy my whole fucking library for that!!!

Yeah I don't care if they don't look particularly great, I just want to play them sitting down in front of my TV with a proper controller.  Heck, I'd be fine if I could only play them on the portable screen, since you can clearly use a normal controller.  I just found that with the 3DS and DS, that I couldn't play them for longer than like an hour without my hands starting to cramp and my neck ache from being hunched over.

dreama1

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2016, 07:25:01 am »
If it runs emulators that would be cool. It becomes a real retro portable with 2 player support.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2016, 10:37:04 am »
So according to a reporter over at WSJ, Nintendo's statement is basically no more official announcements this year in regards to titles on Switch and specs, including whether or not it is region locked.

man, i was hoping in the next month or so, we would get a showcase of them showing it off with the price and everything...
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2016, 10:56:59 am »
With it being a couple of days since the reveal and my excitement has subsided enough for me to make a grounded opinion on the system, here it is.

First and foremost I am very, very excited about the Switch! It looks like an excellent system all around, offering you the ability to play it just as a home console with a controller; no gimmicks, no motion controls, no funky controller, just you and your system. I also love how it is a full on portable device that you can take on the go, and as far as we know, can enjoy with the same quality as you would sitting in front of your TV while it is docked. While I do have some concerns about each side of the screen being able to become its own, small controller (which I will explain in a bit), I think it is a clever idea and allows for immediate local multiplayer which has not been a feature on consoles for quite some time. As for the games, which while nothing has been officially announced (except Zelda), we saw what looked like 4 new Nintendo IPs and freakin Skyrim! If those 5 games alone make up the launch library I am going to have a very hard time not picking up all of them along with the console day one lol. I am also excited at the prospect of a new main Pokemon game coming to it since Nintendo has announced that their home console and handheld will be housed under the Switch from now on. This also opens up the possibility of it having an enormous library of games!

Now for what I'm concerned about. While there are some high end tablets out there, the Microsoft Surface Pro for example, those cost well over a grand. The Switch, if the rumors end up being true and as reason would dictate, will probably be $500 tops. Nintendo already announced that they will not be selling the Switch at a loss, so what this means is it will be significantly less powerful than the XBONE and PS4. You simply cannot squeeze that kind of performance and power into a tablet at that price point yet. When I've brought this up to people they usually come back at me with, "well, it can run Skyrim HD on it!" I don't doubt that it can, but what these people fail to remember is Skyrim is nearly a 5-year old game designed to run on 5-year old hardware. Even the HD version isn't even coming close to pushing the performance envelope in the way that Fallout 4 does, which I doubt will see a release on the Switch. Perhaps we'll find out that the dock also serves as a way of enhancing the graphics, but this leaves the question, how will games perform when not docked? This also poses a question of how well modern AAA games will be able to be ported to it without substantial downgrades to the graphics and FPS. My other main concern is the ability to use each side of the Switch as a separate mini controller when playing it on the go. From what I saw in the reveal video these things look super tiny! It will surprise me if they are actually comfortable enough to play a game with someone more than half an hour without your hand cramping up, especially if you have larger hands. I could be totally wrong about this, and to be honest I am withholding judgement until I actually have one in my hand, but it's hard to imagine that it would be good for long term play.

I am absolutely excited to hear more about the Switch and to hear more and more about its games as time goes by. Unless Nintendo drops some huge bomb regarding it, which I am having hard time even imagining what that would be, I will definitely be getting this system day 1. Contrary to what some people have been saying I do not believe for one second that this will end up being another Wii U in terms of sales, support, and a small library of first party titles mostly. I genuinely think it will do great, maybe even Wii great. Can't wait to get my hands on one and game my ass off!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:02:31 am by bikingjahuty »

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2016, 02:02:24 pm »
Its way to soon to form a opinion about the Switch. You can only say it looks good (or bad). In my view it looks good, but you can only form a good opinion when its in your hand. So i will wait for that.