Author Topic: Does this ever happen to you trading games.  (Read 3213 times)

theflea

Does this ever happen to you trading games.
« on: November 18, 2016, 01:03:26 am »
I've been trading games with fellow collector's / gamers for years. On this site for the most part i don't have many issues when it comes to trading. I always try and trade value for value. Some use ebay others price charting etc. Well I've been on many facebook game selling / trading sites and many times when I contact one to trade they quote me high end ebay prices and when I quote back ebay prices and tell them I will trade close to value. (Long as its close i dont care) They get upset telling me I overprice and think i'm trying to rip them off.

Today i had a guy who had a $60 game full ebay value (he quoted me its value first) and wanted to trade for a game I had that at full ebay value is going for $130. I tell him i can't do it and he had nothing else I wanted and then he gets upset. Saying my game was only worth $80. He wanted full ebay for his game but low end for mine. I feel these people want full price for their games but want reseller trade in prices for my games. If i'm doing that i'll trade it in at my local used game store.

I'm one who loves a deal and I try and work with fellow collector's when I trade, I try and trade value for value.
If you quote me high end ebay expect high end ebay back. 

Am I wrong thinking this way?
"Happy game hunting!!!"

Re: Does this ever happen to you trading games.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 01:20:39 am »
Same shit has happened to me many times; if you're going to hit me low on your item, I'm coming back at you low. If you want to go high, I'm also going high. You don't owe anyone anything, especially a person you don't know from a facebook group. I'm willing to be just as reasonable, or unreasonable as they are, and if they disagree then they can try and rip another person off, it will not be me.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 07:02:43 am »
I've never really got the point of trading for the reason you've listed above. It seems like most people are trying to either trade their crap for games they would probably never get for what they're offering, or they lowball and think they'll just get an amazing deal... I've tried trading a few times in the past and i always left scratching my head at what they were thinking.

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:02:48 am »
I have traded only a few times

one example

Smash bros melee
phantasy star III
gladius

All gamecube

for paper mario thousand year doors.

Both pretty much same value here in europe around 70 - 75

Only reason for me trading it was that the paper mario sold in 3 day's for 75 while 2 of the other 3 games don't sell to fast and the 3 games are worth combined 75 + that the buyer already bought a game from me so no extra shipping costs shipping the games to him

Overall your right people try to get on the upper end with trading I would not recommend doing it to often, usually they try to offer you dollar games for quality real value titles. I don't accept trades but in some cases people do come with nice offers.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:06:12 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:32:12 am »
Thats why I only trade with people I know personally.

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 12:38:50 pm »
Can't say that I really know the feeling, because I've never traded. Never even sold a game actually. From my outsider perspective, it seems like a trade could go either way. Maybe they have something you really want, and you have something they really want. Seems like it could be doable even if the values aren't even if the want for that item is enough. If it's a lot easier to just go elsewhere and buy the same thing, then forget about it. But maybe sometimes it's not? It could be a situation where throwing in some "smalls" might sweeten the deal.

For appraising, it's kind of hard and I hate the fact that eBay is the only way to do it. I guess you'd take the median of sold listings? However, I'd bet that some collectors won't actually do that, if it looks as though asking prices are significantly higher than most of those sold... or if there is a perception that the value is climbing.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 12:42:08 pm »
All the time. I use the site called GameTZ to trade on. And man, so many of the people there are greedy.

I will look up values on eBay before offering a trade there, just to be sure I'm not being uneven. And more often than not, I'll get a counter-offer where they want like 5 of my games for 1 of there's. It's so frustrating.

I understand people want a deal, but when you're trading, you're not some profit-making dealer, you're just another gamer. So don't try to screw over your fellow gamer, just make a nice even trade. That's kind of the point of trading.

My BIGGEST pet-peeve with the people at that site, though, is when they just plain ignore your offer and never respond. There is a decline button. It's not that hard to click it. Drives me nuts!

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 12:38:57 pm »
I've seen people put up pricey games for trade like rule of rose, asking for equal value trades, but they will specify that if it is not 1 for 1 (i.e. 2 $90 games for 1 $180 game) they will explicitly value their game 20%+ over retail as a sort of fee for trading up.

I have no issue trading in someone else's favor, but that's just outrageous.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 12:52:36 pm »
It is just people in general now. It is disappointing. I was hooking up a guy locally with some old duplicate games I have. I was giving the guy 50% of ebay pricing and sometimes even less. He was buying up everything I had. I then realized he was reselling the games for a lot more to other people. I told him I would keep selling stuff through him, but I wanted more money (since before I thought I was just helping a fellow collector). The guy flipped out and said I was greedy and then his wife called me later and told me how I had ruined her husband's life. It was straight up crazy.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 12:26:09 pm »
It is just people in general now. It is disappointing. I was hooking up a guy locally with some old duplicate games I have. I was giving the guy 50% of ebay pricing and sometimes even less. He was buying up everything I had. I then realized he was reselling the games for a lot more to other people. I told him I would keep selling stuff through him, but I wanted more money (since before I thought I was just helping a fellow collector). The guy flipped out and said I was greedy and then his wife called me later and told me how I had ruined her husband's life. It was straight up crazy.

Sounds horrible, and to top it off the last part  ???

Than again, he might have sold most of the stuff to aquire some for free with a prfit, still horrible for the person selling it for cheap knowing the value.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 12:40:28 pm »
"You ruined my husbands life because you didn't sell him some 30 year old video games."   Riiiiight....

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 05:05:56 pm »
"You ruined my husbands life because you didn't sell him some 30 year old video games."   Riiiiight....

He was earning money from it potentially quite allot, so a new swimming pool ain't happening anymore  :o

ffxik

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 07:44:06 pm »

Me greedy?!  You were taking advantage of my generosity to turn a profit, so f- you buddy..  I am not the type to still my tongue when dealing with people like this.  These people are only good to you until they get what they want, or you call them on their BS. 

I don't trade period, for the very reason I go dollar for dollar  Most people will not.  Most of the time when I see trade lists it's very irritating to see a wishlist full of expensive games and a trade list full of junk.  So so much so that if they traded everything on that list wouldn't even equal half of what one games value happens to be.

Oh you want Panzer Dragoon Saga, that's cool.  What you got to trade?  Oh, I don't think those loose Madden games are going to get you there, sorry.   >:(

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 10:45:09 am »
Just happened again on GameTZ.

Someone offered me Star Trek: TNG Season 1 for Super R-Type and Captain Skyhawk. I agreed. Then after I agreed, he starts trying to add more games to the deal. Very frustrating, and makes me not want to trade at all.

shfan

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 11:56:58 am »
TBH I don't take pleasure from dealing with other collectors outside of chatting about games in general on a few message boards, everything in this hobby is so damned neurotic or plain unpleasant.

When it comes to trading I'd say no, no thanks. As you've found flea, there's no common ground and what little there is changes from person to person any way. There's no agreement on prices, even going off Ebay you're going to come up against someone quoting the out-there high BIN prices as opposed to the prices shown in completed listings.

If it's saleable I sell it, if it's worth trading at CEX it goes there, or I trade it in with one of the businesses I use who specialize in video games, then I use my unwanted stuff to generate more games without spending cash, that suits me fine.