Author Topic: Do you use ROM/Flash Carts?  (Read 1527 times)

Do you use ROM/Flash Carts?
« on: November 18, 2016, 09:10:02 pm »
I'm curious to know you guys' stance on those things!
I've personally always been against them. They almost always lead to piracy, which I'm strictly against. I will however admit that I just got an R4 a while ago, but not to pirate anything with. I currently own 35 DS games, and carrying multiple cartridges around can become quite tedious when traveling. This why I ultimately decided on getting an old R4 for my old DS Lite. While I'll always stick to playing RPGs and other big-scale games on real game cards, I figured the R4 could be handy to store a lot of smaller scale games, like Mario Kart or puzzle games. Yes, it would require me to carry around my DS Lite next to my 3DS instead of carrying around the 3DS and a game case, but I still feel like using the R4 will just be more convenient for me. But let me reïterate once again that I won't pirate any games with it. I am against piracy, and I'll always be. You should not download games you don't own. However, if you own a game, I don't see a reason you shouldn't be allowed to carry it around on an R4 if you want.

What's you guys' stance on this? Use a flashcart yourself?
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

Re: Do you use ROM/Flash Carts?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:27:30 pm »
My plan is to eventually buy an AVS with one of the NES Everdrive carts to have an easy way to play all the old games.  I personally see no issue with playing older games with roms, especially when much of them simply aren't available to buy anymore in any form.  There's only one realistic way to play Little Samson, which is by rom, so again, I have no problems not owning that game and getting it on rom instead.

Or in the case I own multiple copies of certain games to begin with, that I don't consider it piracy.  I own at least 3 or 4 versions of The Legend of Zelda NES.  I'm not gonna feel bad about playing it in rom form, so I think it's fine if you want to use the R4 to simply allow yourself to take your collection with you wherever you want.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 09:59:38 pm »
For the DS yes. Mostly strictly for translated roms I cant find repros for that I reeeeeally wanna play on real hardware.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:52:04 pm »
I think they're wonderful and would love to own a few someday. If you really don't want to get into the money sink that is game collecting and just want to play games on original hardware this is definitely the best option by far. At this point I'd love to have one for the SNES, NES, TG16, and Gameboy since I have no desire to heavily collect for these consoles, but still have an interest in playing many games on them.

azure

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 01:06:20 am »
I don't have any at the moment, but I wouldn't be against owning some.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 01:59:41 am »
I like the idea, but I don't use them

darkragnorok

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 02:36:45 am »
The novelty of having them sounds nice to me and it is something I would definitely like to invest in at some point. Granted this wont stop me from getting the actual copies of certain games but having an all in one cart to play games on their original machine is something I can get behind especially when I thought I could have the same effect with the Retron 5, big mistake there.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 03:27:34 am »
There are many benefits to flashcarts like the everdrives.

In addition to having all your game backups on one cart many support built in cheats, save states (not just battery but actual save state).

Also the ability to play imports with translation patches, homebrew, and games that were never released.

Heck yes I use flashcarts.

I own an everdrive for every system it exists on. :)

spac316

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 03:34:42 am »
I don't, but I am open to the possibility. It's gonna be the only way I could play something like Little Samson on my NES without selling a kidney. :P

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 08:55:45 am »
I'm into it. If for nothing else, just for convenience sake. It's a lot easier than toting around a bunch of carts.

I'm thinking about getting the one TurboGrafx. The games are a little more than I want to spend and I never see them anywhere but conventions. It would help since I still have ZERO games for the system.

If I was just starting out collecting, I would for sure get an Everdrive or PowerPak. That way I could play all these games I'd never be able to get.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 12:41:31 pm »
I only have an R4, it's just full of ds fan translations or really expensive and hard to get a hold of. I love being able to play fan-translated games. :)

doafan

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 12:46:27 pm »
Would love to have an R4 for the 2DS but am not pretty sure that such thing even exists, being honest haven't searched that much just at Mercado Libre without any luck, so if anybody can tell me where to find/purchase one my daughter and I will appreciate it a lot  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

darkragnorok

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 04:37:31 pm »
Would love to have an R4 for the 2DS but am not pretty sure that such thing even exists, being honest haven't searched that much just at Mercado Libre without any luck, so if anybody can tell me where to find/purchase one my daughter and I will appreciate it a lot  ;D

http://3ds-flashcard.com/home/8-r4i-sdhc-3ds-rts-2013.html

There is even a video of it being used on a 2DS. Its pretty cheap alone but cost more if you decide you want to get an SD card with it.

darkragnorok

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 04:39:13 pm »

Off topic but love how your gif changes everytime I refresh.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 05:23:22 pm »

Off topic but love how your gif changes everytime I refresh.

I never realized that, I thought he just changes it regularly lol