Author Topic: Assassin's Creed Genre: Action or Adventure?  (Read 1430 times)

Assassin's Creed Genre: Action or Adventure?
« on: November 20, 2016, 09:51:32 pm »
I'm in the process of adding my collection to this sight and whilst looking through the Assassin's Creed games I've noticed that most listings have it's genre set as Action with a few having it set at Adventure. I was going try and edit all of the Assassin's Creed games to the same genre but I'm not fore sure which one. It's definitely an Action/Adventure mix, but that's not an option. 

I feel the Assassin's Creed franchise, as a whole, leans more towards the Adventure genre.  What does everyone else think?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:00:35 pm by postmortimus »

koemo1

PRO Supporter

Re: Assassin's Creed Genre: Action or Adventure?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 05:31:51 am »
Well blackflag sure is an adventure game but i doubt that first one is an adventure game
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 06:34:21 pm »
What is the definition of action or adventure?

When I think of action, like "action movie" it usually involves guns and explosions. Adventure is like bows and swords. But that is movies. Does it apply to games?

pizzasafari

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 12:21:14 pm »
Isn't adventure more the walky aroundy, interact objects with objects and solve puzzles to progress kind of game?

If we had to lump Assassin's Creed to one end of the Action/Adventure genre it'd definitely be action.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 05:24:42 pm »
Action

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 11:12:39 pm »
As I think about it further, I feel the Assassin's Creed franchise is more of an Action/Adventure hybrid, starting more so with Assassin's Creed III. All of the games have had exploration and a variety of puzzles and have increased as the franchise grew, all along with a deep narrative, and an interesting combat system. As a side note, I feel the 3 Assassin's Creed Chronicles games are Stealth Action/Platformers.

Personally, I'd like it if this site would allow more than 1 genre listing. Some games in the same genre can be considerably different. For example: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Final Fantasy VII are both RPGs but have very little in common beyond that.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:41:09 am by postmortimus »

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 10:29:15 am »
Game category is not to be applied to a franchise or series, but to each individual game.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 06:06:54 am »
Game category is not to be applied to a franchise or series, but to each individual game.
I'm aware of that, I was stating my opinion on the franchise as a whole.  ;)  I'm not talking about applying the genre to the whole franchise, just wondering what people think the core titles would be better defined as: Action or Adventure. I even mention that I feel that the Chronicles games would be a different genre. My initial post, I forgot to specify that.

Assassin's Creed all the way through Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, at their core, are the same genre. Given, as the franchise has progressed, it has expanded the exploration aspects of the game, but they all are same at their core. The series even has had a noticeable complaint from some fans saying the series is becoming redundant (personally I like the games a lot and have had no real complaint on this matter). The Assassin's Creed series hasn't been diverse as much as say the Metal Gear Solid series. I wouldn't agree calling every Metal Gear Solid game the same genre due to how diverse they have been. It's covered a wide range of genre types throughout it's series.

This wouldn't be a thing if VG Collect didn't have a fairly limited selection for genre options (my only real complaint with this awesome site). There's not even a Stealth option. Anybody whom has ever played a decent amount of different games can tell that most games can't simply be categorized as one, broadly defined genre. I reiterate and expand what I said in a previous post, it'd be nice to see this site add genres or add the option to apply more than one genre type to games that simply can't be defined by just one. Or maybe a sub-genre option. For example: Stealth Action, Point'n'Click Adventure, Puzzle Platformer and Tactical RPG instead of just simply Action, Adventure, Platformer and RPG. But I digress......  :P

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 12:37:16 pm »
Agree. Genre should be based on a tag system instead of a singular choice from a drop down.