Author Topic: Where to start Pokémon (3DS)  (Read 1227 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Where to start Pokémon (3DS)
« on: November 29, 2016, 07:56:05 am »
The Boy's wanting to start Pokémon. He has a 3DS. Which do I get him to start?  Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, X/Y, or Sun/Moon?  I've never Pokémon'd so I have no idea where a 7 year old should start.

Re: Where to start Pokémon (3DS)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 08:27:25 am »
Just go Sun/Moon unless you think he'd actually play through the different generations of games.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 10:44:26 am »
Probably Sun and Moon since that is what all the cool kids are playing right now.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 10:52:22 am »
Doesn't really matter. Story wise they're all more or less self contained. The newest generation, Sun & Moon, has a good mix of new and classic Pokemon. In this latest iteration they've taken steps to help out newer players. They've updated the map screen to show players where to go if they get lost, and in battle there's hints on what attacks will be effective against your opponent.

Reading comprehension could be an issue for a seven year old. While the reading level of the games are quite low there are some bigger words thrown in on occasion, so don't be surprised if help is requested.  ;) -Not to mention long strange made up ones too.

indenton

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 11:02:18 am »
I imagine they're interested in Pokemon partly because of friends playing it perhaps, they're probably playing the most recent games Sun / Moon.  I'd hook em' up with something up to date, go with Sun / Moon.  I mean it's not like Nintendo games are getting more difficult, Pokemon has become notably more forgiving as of recent. 

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 01:35:23 pm »
Considering that it's the latest one, I'd suggest Sun/Moon as well. Might be a little rough for a 7-year old, though, is the only issue, especially with the online component now. Even the passive online stuff can be a little tricky, as Nintendo are usually good about censoring out bad words/names, but I ran across someone "from the internet" through the game and their name was "A$$Violator"... and the $$s were regular "S"s.

Could go for the more retro ones if he doesn't mind playing the one that a lot of other kids might be playing right now. Are you friendly with other parents with kids around the same age? If they allow their kids to game, what are they playing?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 02:17:44 pm »
The Boy's wanting to start Pokémon. He has a 3DS. Which do I get him to start?  Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, X/Y, or Sun/Moon?  I've never Pokémon'd so I have no idea where a 7 year old should start.

I would go the newest one. he definitely has a friend playing it for sure and you can always do the fun thing of getting the other version for yourself and playing with him and trading back and forth.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

davifus

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 07:15:23 pm »
For the sake of connecting with his age group I'd say Sun & Moon, but in a first game experience probably Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 09:56:55 pm »
Be authentic and buy the 3DS Virtual Shop version of Pokemon Red.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 11:03:05 pm »
I bought the Sun/Moon combo pack from target. Being a collector for the best of me.