Author Topic: 52 Game Challenge 2017  (Read 61289 times)

Re: 52 Game Challenge 2017
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2017, 11:25:32 am »
So...  my wife found out that she missed Gaius and Tharja while playing through Fire Emblem Awakening, she was around Chapter 20.  She just straight up deleted her save file and claimed to be done with video games forever.  Needless to say yesterday was really rough and difficult day.  So now I get to replay through Fire Emblem Awakening and try to rebuild her save file back to about where it was, but with Tharja and Gaius recruited.  Part of me feels like this is a sort of emotional abuse.

I was literally 3 relics away from being done with Mad Max when this happened.  I was so close to being done and being able to jump into my next game, but this is literally going to take all of my free time... and somehow Sumia was her strongest character with a rating of about 200.

Not sure if you've ever played Awakening, but I hear it is an incredible game. There are definitely worse things that you'd have to do to be a good husband ;)
I just finished playing through it last year.  I'm afraid it's going to burn me out before Echoes comes out.

Also, the events that transpired between her deleting her save data and the decision that I would play through the game to get her to where she was were not pleasant.

Also, Sumia sucks.

shfan

« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2017, 02:34:50 pm »
I've been trying to rush through Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin for the PS4 in order to get started on RE7 while it's still 'fresh', plus I've been really enjoying it. I'm now at a point where I want to do some farming/exploring on DSII and I don't want to rush any more, it's too good for that, so RE7 has been installing and I'm heading on down now to get started, woo!

kashell

« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2017, 04:12:55 pm »
Damn that Namco and Amazon, preventing me from getting my Tales of Fierceness fix.

I decided to start casually playing Shin Megami Tensei IV. I like it, but I don't like the fact that battles are in that old-school, first-person perspective. Nocturne had it right with showing the full fight.

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2017, 02:20:57 am »
6 - Yakuza 0 (PS4 2017) - PLAYING - Finally getting into the series for the first time after hearing about it for so many years and I'm enjoying it.  Funny enough, this is exactly what Akiba's Trip wanted to be, which now I see it, seems like it was just trying to rip off Yakuza.  Where that game utterly sucks, this game thrives.  Action is fantastic. Visually it all looks pretty great and runs at a smooth 60fps.  There's tons of goofy and fun side content from going to the Sega arcade, to pocket car racing, to the substories relating to genuinely kinda interesting, if not silly, side characters.  I had to teach a dominatratix how to be one, because she wasn't really that kind of person, but took the job to try and become more assertive and strong.  That's just great.  Doing a lot of side stuff, looking for collectibles, things like that right now, working slowly at the story.  Has abit of a slow start, but I think this is a good game that is gonna keep me in it for a pretty long time.

« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2017, 10:04:17 am »
6 - Yakuza 0 (PS4 2017) - PLAYING - Finally getting into the series for the first time after hearing about it for so many years and I'm enjoying it.  Funny enough, this is exactly what Akiba's Trip wanted to be, which now I see it, seems like it was just trying to rip off Yakuza.  Where that game utterly sucks, this game thrives.  Action is fantastic. Visually it all looks pretty great and runs at a smooth 60fps.  There's tons of goofy and fun side content from going to the Sega arcade, to pocket car racing, to the substories relating to genuinely kinda interesting, if not silly, side characters.  I had to teach a dominatratix how to be one, because she wasn't really that kind of person, but took the job to try and become more assertive and strong.  That's just great.  Doing a lot of side stuff, looking for collectibles, things like that right now, working slowly at the story.  Has abit of a slow start, but I think this is a good game that is gonna keep me in it for a pretty long time.

When you go to the Sega arcade does it actually have playable machines, like Shenmue, or are they just part of the scenery?

If they are playable I will be buying this game this weekend lol

« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2017, 04:22:29 pm »

When you go to the Sega arcade does it actually have playable machines, like Shenmue, or are they just part of the scenery?

If they are playable I will be buying this game this weekend lol

I have to double check if the games are playable, I just did the claw machine for abit, but also remember this is set in the late 80's, so it's stuff like Space Harrier.

*EDIT*
Currently, only Space Harrier is playable right now, but I don't know if there are more or not that'll show up as I'm still pretty early into the game.

And found Out Run to be playable at another arcade in the second area of the game.  I'm not expecting to really find more unless there are other areas to the game.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:23:12 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2017, 03:23:46 pm »
1) Lego Batman 3 (Base game 100% complete)
2) Dragonball Xenoverse 2 (Story Mode, Parallel Quests completed)

3) Mass Effect (Replay, 100%) - Decided to do another full playthrough of the trilogy before Andromeda releases. ME1 certainly is a bit dated nowadays, but still an enjoyable story. I was disappointed with the RNG gods however, as I managed to acquire a set of colossus armor (basically, the best armor in the game) for every party member except for Wrex.

Also, Sumia sucks.
Eh, she was perfectly fine in my file once she got Galeforce. (Though, the parent's main job in Awakening is breeding stock to make god-children anyways) Did have one frustrating moment with her, but that was just the game being an absolute dick to me. What happened was on a mission with a recruitable character, I had Sumia up front tanking (she was a Great Knight at the time) holding a Bronze Spear and a Javelin. What the game did was throw enough grunts at Sumia to make her spear break and switch over to the Javelin, then they attacked her with the recruitable character (who was ranged). She of course, then crited and killed the guy in a single hit.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:34:40 pm by emporerdragon »

shfan

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2017, 10:23:14 am »
2) Resident Evil 7: BioHazard

It's releases like this that make me think there's hope for the AAA game market yet, great stuff and a return to real survival horror.

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2017, 11:40:19 pm »
Well that is what I call a successful  month of playing/beating games! But I expect it will slow down from here on out. As some may have read in other posts and threads, I have a lot to do this year non-game wise, and I need to stop putting it off. I will still be playing games in between, but I'll probably be doing 4 or less a month. Besides, I have to start replaying my top 15 games as part of re-evaluating my top 10 games of all time list. I started FFVII (third favorite game ever currently) and will be working my way down the list. But without babbling anymore, here is my final review for January:

14. Gekioh: Shooting King (PS1): For those who are unaware, this game is actually a fairly desired SHMUP called Shienryu in Japan. While I will say that the graphics are fairly impressive and it has pretty cool bosses in general, the game is terribly flawed in that it has some arbitrary checkpoint system that I have never seen in another shooter. Pretty much if you die you have to replay a small subsection of a level over and over again until you play it flawlessly, and you reach the start of the next subsection. Another flaw that I had a hard time dealing with is how if you die you often are not given enough power ups to get through certain parts, making getting through them very challenging sometimes. A cool game in a way, but let down severely by some really dumb game design.(1/30/17)

maximo310

« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2017, 01:07:04 am »
Well that is what I call a successful  month of playing/beating games! But I expect it will slow down from here on out. As some may have read in other posts and threads, I have a lot to do this year non-game wise, and I need to stop putting it off. I will still be playing games in between, but I'll probably be doing 4 or less a month. Besides, I have to start replaying my top 15 games as part of re-evaluating my top 10 games of all time list. I started FFVII (third favorite game ever currently) and will be working my way down the list. But without babbling anymore, here is my final review for January:

14. Gekioh: Shooting King (PS1): For those who are unaware, this game is actually a fairly desired SHMUP called Shienryu in Japan. While I will say that the graphics are fairly impressive and it has pretty cool bosses in general, the game is terribly flawed in that it has some arbitrary checkpoint system that I have never seen in another shooter. Pretty much if you die you have to replay a small subsection of a level over and over again until you play it flawlessly, and you reach the start of the next subsection. Another flaw that I had a hard time dealing with is how if you die you often are not given enough power ups to get through certain parts, making getting through them very challenging sometimes. A cool game in a way, but let down severely by some really dumb game design.(1/30/17)

Yeah, I've heard about this one from a few other shmup players too; its pretty much a spiritual sequel to Daioh since staff members from that game worked on Shienryu as well. Sad to hear that the sequel didn't fix Daioh's problems besides the electric weapon milking.

shfan

« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2017, 02:09:12 pm »
3) Ants Warriors (PC/Online flash game)

A cut down RTS with cartoon army ants, took all of an hour to see it through, normally I don't play games of this length (tend to keep getting mired in RPGs), so I'll gladly take the leg-up on this challenge. :D

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2017, 12:29:47 am »
Well January is done, only 3 games finished for me (technically behind schedule agh) but at least I'm making progress on the Warcraft 3 campaign and FF7 (almost through disc 1). Already well on pace to finish more games this year! Good job so far everyone!

telly

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2017, 08:29:07 am »
I only have one game beat :( Though it's not my fault I picked a 70+ hour game to play haha
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2017, 05:55:04 pm »
I think I'm sitting at 10 games beat, that number is probably wrong, I'm probably at 11 or 12 since I've been replaying Fates and Awakening.

rayne315

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2017, 09:06:02 pm »
my GF is reliving her childhood..... point and click adventures she can beat in an hour or so.... she already beat 15 in only 3 days...
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully