Author Topic: The Nintendo Switch Discussion  (Read 18864 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: The Nintendo Switch Discussion
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 12:56:43 pm »
Preorder hell. Ah fun, I'm on a call list at my local Gamestop because I live in the boonies with no where else to turn that doesn't require you to pay in full upfront. For once can't Nintendo put out enough of something? Did put a deposit on Breathe of the Wild at least.

Just my asshole opinion from observing my Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. I think there's a lot of demand. There's a bunch of preorders out there.  It would be shooting themselves in the foot to not have plenty of consoles to go around.

The haters are hating big.  That's a good indicator that it could be big. I'm in 100%. Mine is preordered.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 01:04:48 pm »
Preorder hell. Ah fun, I'm on a call list at my local Gamestop because I live in the boonies with no where else to turn that doesn't require you to pay in full upfront. For once can't Nintendo put out enough of something? Did put a deposit on Breathe of the Wild at least.

Just my asshole opinion from observing my Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. I think there's a lot of demand. There's a bunch of preorders out there.  It would be shooting themselves in the foot to not have plenty of consoles to go around.

The haters are hating big.  That's a good indicator that it could be big. I'm in 100%. Mine is preordered.

It seems, since the PS2 launch, that "selling out" of your first run of pre-ordered consoles, is just a thing they do now, to help hype the system more.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 01:19:29 pm »

It seems, since the PS2 launch, that "selling out" of your first run of pre-ordered consoles, is just a thing they do now, to help hype the system more.

Before the 9/9/99 thing of the Dreamcast, were launch days a big deal?  I may not have paid attention.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2017, 01:40:19 pm »
I remember the PS1 and Saturn getting a lot of attention for their launches. But before that, no, I really don't remember launches being that big of a deal, besides their initial CES showings. But then again, before that, I was a kid. So I might not have paid attention.

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2017, 01:40:51 pm »
I'm new to vgcollect and the forum.  I'm back into the video games fold after many lost years thanks to my son.  I have to say, the Switch is going to be incredible.  Especially for a young family on the go.  Too many times I have asked my son to stop playing (insert console here) to go somewhere.  Now that we can take the game on the go, it will mean peace and tranquility for the republic.

I've got one on pre-order with Zelda.  Didn't hear of any limited editions though.  Might have to go back to EBGames to ask.

This will be my first launch purchase since I got the NES for Christmas way back when.

Nintendo has always taken care of the young kids of gaming.  Santa brought my son an XBOX 360 3 years ago with Minecraft.  However, trying to find age appropriate titles for a 5 year old is near impossible.  He got a WiiU last year for his birthday (tried to outlast this request for the new console - to no avail), and finding kid friendly titles is a breeze.

Nintendo has always been very cartoony with their video games.  Which has made this family make the switch to Switch!?

haha...can't wait until March 3rd.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2017, 02:42:22 pm »
I was really hoping March 17th was going to be the day. I'm going to be out of town that weekend of March 3rd. Louisville Arcade Expo starts that day!

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2017, 06:23:51 pm »
I think you're going to see available  pre-orders pop up from time to time.  If you want to see when I do suggest cheap ass gamer on Twitter (@videogamedeals) I got my preorder in at lunch on Friday after they mentioned it.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2017, 10:32:44 pm »
@brickmethod - welcome!

There are two special editions of Zelda, but they are sold out all over. Might have to see if you can find one in the "wild". See what I did there? Hee hee. 

Nintendo verified that the Walmart preorders being done in their layaway program are legit. Only downfall is that they only are selling gray. I really wanted a neon edition, but I missed them.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2017, 04:14:44 am »
OK so I've tried to ignore the Switch and various discussions about it, however, I have to vent some frustration with the damn thing. First off why on earth is it less powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One? That is all I wanted Nintendo to do, please Nintendo just show us that you are competitive.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the Switch is portable, it's smaller than both the new models of the PS4 / Xbone.  If you were expecting same specs from a home console portable hybrid THIS SOON, it would be boiling your hands, the battery would be terrible, you'd then be complaining about the high price and you're stupid.  This seamless switch into a portable is an inherent advantage over all of its competitors. 

I've seen a lot of hands-on impressions with the system, the main thing I've noticed from a lot of footage is that switching between docked and any of the other play modes is just as hassle-free as they presented in the trailers.  Maybe not quite as instantaneous to show up on the screen out of the dock, but by the time you take even one step back from the Switch dock, you're good to go!
My point is that Nintendo is trying to sell a system/portal under the guise that it's the best of both worlds. Truthfully, though, it's neither. You're are either getting an overpriced handheld or an underpowered console.
Nintendo doesn't need to try to sell a product on another gimmick, they have great exclusives that most people buy their consoles for, however they always lack third-party support. As soon as the Switch fails, third-party developers will leave too, leaving Nintendo in the same spot they started in.
In all honesty though, I don't see many people falling for the portable aspect of it, people who want portable gaming have a 3ds,vita or even something like the Nvidia shield or Pandora.
Let's be fair here, I want Nintendo to succeed. I just don't see that happening with the Switch. 
I'll admit, I could be 100% wrong. I hope the Switch is a big success for Nintendo.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:24:55 am by kingrat101 »

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2017, 05:24:32 am »
My point is that Nintendo is trying to sell a system/portal under the guise that it's the best of both worlds. Truthfully, though, it's neither. You're are either getting an overpriced handheld or an underpowered console.
Nintendo doesn't need to try to sell a product on another gimmick, they have great exclusives that most people buy their consoles for, however they always lack third-party support. As soon as the Switch fails, third-party developers will leave too, leaving Nintendo in the same spot they started in.
In all honesty though, I don't see many people falling for the portable aspect of it, people who want portable gaming have a 3ds,vita or even something like the Nvidia shield or Pandora.
Let's be fair here, I want Nintendo to succeed. I just don't see that happening with the Switch. 
I'll admit, I could be 100% wrong. I hope the Switch is a big success for Nintendo.

The 3DS is done within probably a year or less, the Vita is barely competition (It's done no better than the Wii U in a slightly longer time span), and the same could be said for the Nividia Shield that I don't think too many people really care about and certainly doesn't have mass appeal and doesn't have any killer apps.  It's a market that Nintendo has always owned and is currently owning, and its smart for them to capitalize on it with their console, which again, is also a console.  Why downplay the gimmick? It's a prominent feature than no one else has.  Sure, it's not as powerful as the other main consoles, but neither of those are portable.  Sure, it's abit pricier than handhelds that have been out for 5 to 6 years, but neither of those can instantly connect with a TV...except for technically the Vita, but you have to own another device and another controller to take advantage of that, which kinda removes any price advantage and it requires turning off the system.

I know it's easy to be all doom and gloom in the situation, I'm still worried myself when it comes to third party support, their questionable online service idea, and their pricey accessories and games, but there's a lot of potential here for Nintendo to do well too.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2017, 12:34:43 pm »
I know that Dragon Quest XI is coming to 3DS later this year. And that's a big release, in the RPG niche at least.

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2017, 12:58:24 pm »
I know that Dragon Quest XI is coming to 3DS later this year. And that's a big release, in the RPG niche at least.

Mostly in Japan, though interest in Dragon Quest is growing over here abit, but that's not a first party title.  There's been nothing else announced really and I think that's because Nintendo is shifting towards Switch support as they need to move on from the 3DS.

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2017, 01:11:15 pm »
I don't know if this is the right place for this but on my local craigslist there is somebody already scalping the system for 699$.

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2017, 01:18:26 pm »
I don't know if this is the right place for this but on my local craigslist there is somebody already scalping the system for 699$.

Yeah that's expected lol Hopefully too many don't jump on those "deals", because I don't feel like we'll have a situation as bad a the NES Mini here.

rayne315

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2017, 02:27:44 pm »

Yeah that's expected lol Hopefully too many don't jump on those "deals", because I don't feel like we'll have a situation as bad a the NES Mini here.

people are already buying them for between 400-500 on eBay for just the console.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully