Author Topic: XBox 360 Making Chirping and Grindy Noises When Reading Discs  (Read 4608 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

XBox 360 Making Chirping and Grindy Noises When Reading Discs
« on: January 20, 2017, 02:30:04 pm »
As the title says, my XBox 360 is making strange chirping and grindy noises when it reads a disc. But for now, it's still reading the discs. But I'm afraid with those noises, it's only a matter of time before that's not the case. BTW, I own a launch model 360 (white).

Keep in mind, I am an absolute beginner at fixing consoles. You have to explain things to me like I'm stupid, because I am in this department.

Is there a quick fix I can do to help this? Like I know that on the Dreamcast, you simply have to adjust a certain screw and that fixes a lot of the disc-read error problems. Is there something similar I can do here?

Nickkchilla

Re: XBox 360 Making Chirping and Grindy Noises When Reading Discs
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:03:58 pm »
I've had an issue similar to this with an old Xbox 360 console. The problem is the DVD Drive. There is a little white spindle where the disc is mounted into the tray. The disc itself may be spinning against the top of the tray, thus making the grinding noise.

Unfortunately, this is no quick fix.

To repair this, you will have to disassemble both the Xbox 360 as well as the DVD drive in order to adjust the spindle.

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 04:55:42 pm »
Yeah, the old 360's are not the best designed, so overtime the dvd drive can become unhinged and causes that grinding noises.

I believe ifixit has a a guide for this: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairing+Xbox+360+Stuck+Optical+Drive/12526

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 12:26:13 pm »
Yeah, the old 360's are not the best designed, so overtime the dvd drive can become unhinged and causes that grinding noises.

I believe ifixit has a a guide for this: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairing+Xbox+360+Stuck+Optical+Drive/12526

Thanks for posting this. I'll see if I can do this when I get a chance.