Author Topic: New 3DS Still Being Supported?  (Read 2690 times)

Re: New 3DS Still Being Supported?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 09:58:15 am »
Wait there is more than just Zelda on the Switch?

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 09:58:31 am »
Games are regularly $20 on Amazon after not a lot of time.  Maybe not release day, sure, and maybe not for the big name Mario or Pokemon games, but a substantial number of them do go down to around $20 given a bit of time, many to $30.  When you're a kid from a not rich family, you generally have to wait on mommy or daddy to agree to buy games for you, and this is a lot of the market for Nintendo.  Release day is simply not a factor for many people.
Most games see the majority of their sales around release date.

A $40 game dropping down to $30 isn't a big deal when you can get those $40 games for $32 at launch at BB (w/GCU) and Amazon (w/Prime).  Shit even Gamestop sells relatively new titles for $34 (used w/Pro) and sometimes lower.

From my recollection, the only games that hit $20 are the greatest hits, shit titles, and titles that have been out for quite a while (not a bit).

As for the broad statement saying that the majority of consumers in the 3DS market is kids from poor families.  That's probably not their biggest demographic.

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 11:23:48 am »
Games are regularly $20 on Amazon after not a lot of time.  Maybe not release day, sure, and maybe not for the big name Mario or Pokemon games, but a substantial number of them do go down to around $20 given a bit of time, many to $30.  When you're a kid from a not rich family, you generally have to wait on mommy or daddy to agree to buy games for you, and this is a lot of the market for Nintendo.  Release day is simply not a factor for many people.

A $40 game dropping down to $30 isn't a big deal when you can get those $40 games for $32 at launch at BB (w/GCU) and Amazon (w/Prime).  Shit even Gamestop sells relatively new titles for $34 (used w/Pro) and sometimes lower.

From my recollection, the only games that hit $20 are the greatest hits, shit titles, and titles that have been out for quite a while (not a bit).

As for the broad statement saying that the majority of consumers in the 3DS market is kids from poor families.  That's probably not their biggest demographic.

I was honestly surprised at the range of prices for launch titles for the Switch. Just assumed everything would be $60 or something.

Considering that the Switch allows for co-op play without always requiring another pair of joy-cons and the fact that it can be played on a television as well as on the go helps with the price a lot. In comparison, playing co-op with a friend on the 3DS would require another 3DS handheld. Playing on a monitor with a 3DS requires a $200-$250 capture card. So really $300 isn't too bad for a freshly launched console imo.

The thing that I noticed immediately when they announced the Switch was that it's really not being marketed at younger kids and families in the same way that the other Nintendo consoles did. The other consoles were so much about families and living rooms while the Switch really seems to be aimed at the 20-something generation who are actively outside the house. I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case because there just doesn't seem to be a lot a home-time in Japan.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 11:39:20 am »
I was honestly surprised at the range of prices for launch titles for the Switch. Just assumed everything would be $60 or something.

Considering that the Switch allows for co-op play without always requiring another pair of joy-cons and the fact that it can be played on a television as well as on the go helps with the price a lot. In comparison, playing co-op with a friend on the 3DS would require another 3DS handheld. Playing on a monitor with a 3DS requires a $200-$250 capture card. So really $300 isn't too bad for a freshly launched console imo.

The thing that I noticed immediately when they announced the Switch was that it's really not being marketed at younger kids and families in the same way that the other Nintendo consoles did. The other consoles were so much about families and living rooms while the Switch really seems to be aimed at the 20-something generation who are actively outside the house. I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case because there just doesn't seem to be a lot a home-time in Japan.
Many agreements, all around.  The Switch just needs more titles.

Has-been heroes being $20 at physical, seems like a sign to me that it can work out for indie titles to get physical releases on Switch, but that could be Gamestop taking a hit hoping that by producing inventory it can keep themselves relevant in a time with a large digital presence.

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 11:40:16 am »

There are not a lot of children in Japan anyway.

kashell

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 12:48:53 pm »

Enjoy new games for a reduced price by signing up with our memberships! XD

desocietas

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 12:50:39 pm »

Haha, I don't even think of it that way because I end up saving more money in the end (also, I'm on a friend's Amazon Prime account, so I don't pay for it at all >.> )...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 12:52:16 pm »

Haha, I don't even think of it that way because I end up saving more money in the end (also, I'm on a friend's Amazon Prime account, so I don't pay for it at all >.> )...

Nice! Amazon Prime doesn't seem like a bad gig due to the free-shipping. That would pay for itself.

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 01:11:01 pm »

Well, he name dropped Amazon, I assume if you are buying from Amazon you have prime... but besides that, GCU has forced many competitors to lower their prices to match.  Very frequently Amazon will lower the price of an item to or near the GCU price regardless of Prime.  Though Amazon has been doing a lot of Prime only from what I've heard, so I don't know if you can even buy certain games without Prime.

Nice! Amazon Prime doesn't seem like a bad gig due to the free-shipping. That would pay for itself.
Free shipping, free kindle books, free streaming music and movies, etc.  Plus, if you do slow shipping instead of 2-day you get $1 digital credit per order.  I've gotten over $200 worth of PSN and eShop money from doing slow shipping.

This is what I've earned since February I think
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:14:16 pm by ignition365 »