Author Topic: How should I store Gameboy games?  (Read 6285 times)

How should I store Gameboy games?
« on: February 27, 2017, 10:53:34 pm »
I am trying to collect all of the Gameboy games that were released in North America

I am wondering what would be the best way to store them
The only ones I have heard about so far is
-Binders (Don't want to do this)
-Boxes (Not this either)
-Nail Polish Stands (This is what I am considering)

I want my games to be on display without having to open binders or look through boxes. I just want to go up and look at the collection. Maybe grab a game to play.

crystaldan

Re: How should I store Gameboy games?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:00:32 pm »
DIY bookcases or built into the wall work well for those games

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:54:38 pm »
Original Game Boy has around 500 games (I think) so to display them all with nail polish stands would require maybe a large shallow book case? Or even a long shelf with all the stands across the shelf. I've tried the binder way, but it got old after awhile. You could just stack them alphabetically and vertically in columns so you know what stack to look through to find the game you want.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:38:21 am »
I don't think this is the first time this topic has come up.  And I'll post my solution once again...

Cassette cases

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 09:21:13 am »
I don't think this is the first time this topic has come up.  And I'll post my solution once again...

Cassette cases

Does this work for non cib games

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:37:34 am »
Does this work for non cib games
... Uh... yes?

You take a loose cart and put it into a cassette case.  Then you print out cover art for the cassette case, as I did.  Finally, you display all of your games in a cassette holder, as I did.

In case you are asking something else, no, manuals will not fit inside of cassette cases.  Neither will the boxes.

This also works for Atari Lynx games, as shown in the top right corner.  Will not work for Game Gear games, but I have my own alternative solution for that.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 09:52:33 am »
I never knew about the nail polish shelf. That is a cool thing and I will have to remember it. I know how the local game stores have their loose cart displays, in some wooden arrangement with a plexiglass cover. It wouldn't be too complicated to build if you could do it yourself. I do not have a huge amount of game boy games, but if that nail polish thing works for Game Gear I may try it out.

Currently, I keep all my loose portable cart games in a Jeff Gordon pencil case. :D

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:11:50 am »
There's a storage bin I found at Harbor freight that I was using that worked perfectly with Gameboy games if I find the link I'll post it later but right now I got them in a BCW card box.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 10:31:36 am »
I use the binder method that was already mentioned. I find it easier to flip through and find the games I want, rather than it being in some random pile somewhere.

(Not my games, BTW, just used a random Google image.)

But the nail-polish shelf thing is a great idea! I hope I can come across one at Goodwill that doesn't have a heart or glitter or something on it, lol.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 10:39:58 am »
I never knew about the nail polish shelf. That is a cool thing and I will have to remember it. I know how the local game stores have their loose cart displays, in some wooden arrangement with a plexiglass cover. It wouldn't be too complicated to build if you could do it yourself. I do not have a huge amount of game boy games, but if that nail polish thing works for Game Gear I may try it out.

Currently, I keep all my loose portable cart games in a Jeff Gordon pencil case. :D
There is a YouTube video on that, any cartridge based games should work for it. As pong as they aren't to tiny like the gba.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 11:04:15 am »
My vote will always go to Customgamecases.com and the cases that shadowfox built specifically for GB/C/A games.

http://www.customgamecases.com/online-store/!/GB-GBC-GBA-Lynx/c/13271936/offset%3D0%26sort%3Dnormal

It will take some work on your end with printing covers but if you want to store games and manuals in a way that they wont get dusty or be exposed to the sun this is the best way barring having the original box IMO.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 11:17:42 am »
My vote will always go to Customgamecases.com and the cases that shadowfox built specifically for GB/C/A games.

http://www.customgamecases.com/online-store/!/GB-GBC-GBA-Lynx/c/13271936/offset%3D0%26sort%3Dnormal

It will take some work on your end with printing covers but if you want to store games and manuals in a way that they wont get dusty or be exposed to the sun this is the best way barring having the original box IMO.
I've thought about these, but it's so hard to justify the price when I don't have many manuals.

I've been having this dilemma with NES games, do I just leave them loose on a shelf, or do I buy the CGC so I can print out art.  Money and not having the space for 200 CGC prevents me from going that route.

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 11:50:51 am »
More info on the GB cassette box idea which I've always found to be very clever:
http://nintendonews.com/features/game-boy-cassette-cases/
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

hexen

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 12:56:12 pm »
I use a spice rack for my portable games, as you can see here. This one is only holding about 130 games, but stacking games with uniform shapes on their backs I imagine 3 or even 2 could hold every GB game.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

shepard11

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 03:00:06 pm »
Right now I've been using these heavy duty plastic bins for my games but any loose ones I put in a standard Ultra Pro Soft Sleeve with a little piece of tape on the back. One day I'll have them out in the open and displayed.