Author Topic: Do you think the Nintendo switch will fail or be successful?  (Read 3625 times)

telly

Re: Do you think the Nintendo switch will fail or be successful?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 08:43:57 am »
If you wanna talk about bad performance on the system, Pokemon has got you covered.  I simply haven't noticed any drops with Xenoblade yet.  (for rreference: I'm at Bionis Leg, encountered a mechon that talks)

I played up to the second area of the game and both of the boss fights that happen, the one in the town I think it was against a mechanical boss and then the creature in the cave, the framerate was terrible during those.

I only noticed framerate issues with large bosses and fights during the last portions of the game (maybe about 50/55 hours in?). In general though the graphical quality was definitely pretty poor, especially compared to the Wii version. There was lots of pixels/blocks and it was hard to make out detail... the rain looked especially bad if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:58:42 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 11:10:32 am »
A great launch doesn't mean it will be successful, though, guys. Look at the Dreamcast.

As always with a Nintendo system, I think the third-party support will make or break it.

The Dreamcast did extremely well for the first year it was out. What ended up killing it in the end was the PS2 which as much as I love it, was everyone's go to DVD player for the first year and a half it was out. Since most people buy one game console per generation, this sort of killed the Dreamcast.

Relating this back to this thread, unless some emerging technology comes along that does something way better for around the same price or less, I don't think the Switch will experience the same sort of failure as the Dreamcast. And Nintendo has never relied heavily on third party support to sell their consoles.

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 11:41:33 am »
I feel like the switch will be a minor success such as the gamecube.  It won't get every third party or sell the best but it will make them money and still sell way more units than the wii u.

Warmsignal

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 02:59:15 pm »
I don't have high expectations. It's a bad sign that we're not already seeing a lot of big multi-plats scheduled for release. To be really successful it needs to have as much to offer as possible, and if it doesn't, it won't continue to sell other than to Nintendo faithfuls.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 03:40:16 pm »
Nintendo really should be doing all they can to court the third-parties. Nintendo franchises are fantastic, don't get me wrong. But I think they are FINALLY starting to show their age a little. People are bypassing Nintendo consoles, and Mario just isn't enough appeal anymore.

If they can't court the third-parties for whatever reason, then Nintendo should really start thinking about pushing new IPs. They used to. Other than Splatoon (which I'm not a big a multiplayer person), Nintendo seems to just keep making sequels or spin-offs.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 07:14:00 pm »
@marvelvscapcom2 pretty much wrote what I was thinking.

Switch is going to struggle as a home console, but if can pick up the majority of the 3ds market then it will be a financial success.

I'm still mourning the Wii U.  Too many haters in this world have killed off some amazing consoles. Go enjoy another round of Overwatch.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 07:49:17 pm »

Switch is going to struggle as a home console, but if can pick up the majority of the 3ds market then it will be a financial success.

I'm still mourning the Wii U.  Too many haters in this world have killed off some amazing consoles. Go enjoy another round of Overwatch.

"Haters" didn't kill off the Wii U, the system failed entirely on its own lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 08:50:11 pm »
^ Yeah, due to bad mis-marketing, no price drops, and (again) poor third-party support.

But the hardware really is cool.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 10:49:42 pm »

I can't really think of anything innovative that PS4 and XB1 brought to gaming this gen (I have those systems too), but the Wii U brought some unique gaming experiences. The ability to play the system without a tv, dual screen gaming, and Miiverse.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 12:09:00 am »

Can you elaborate a bit? Are we talking Marketing or actual quality?  I agree if you are talking sales and Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot in marketing but I just wanted to know if you think Wii U is a failure as a console and that is honestly wasn't sabotaged by Sony fanboys?  Because it truly was a victim of unfair hate.

Haters killed the Wii U in fairness.  The system didn't fail off of it's quality.  The overwatch twitch streaming, first person shooter, youtube commentary   Leafy,  CS:GO type community abuses every Nintendo console unfairly because they have nothing better to do.  The Wii U was a very innovative console with a solid library of unique titles and it masterfully ushered in a lot of new ideas and titles instead of taking the Sony route and making  PS3 2.0.  It was a cold gen for gaming but all companies were affected.  Nintendo the least imo. Nintendo made a lot of amazing memorable titles that we can always play and look back on. Really the ps4 should be the failure in sales when looking at it's titles but people still buy it because of marketing and some sort of brainwashing gaming is going through.  PS and XB fanboys immediately doomed the Wii U to failure from it's launch till it's death. Making reddit posts, disliking videos.  it started a propaganda smear campaign against the Wii U.  When really it never sold awful quantities and Nintendo made just as much off Amiibos and 3DS as Xbox made off of the Xbox one or probably much more.  People forget Nintendo Dominates in other areas too.     Xbox and Sony sell more because they dominate 3 games.   COD, Madden and Battlefield.   Those 3 franchises alone outsell all other current gaming franchises combined.  Nintendo will never win those fan bases so they will always sell less.  But that doesn't equate quality.   And outside of the first person shooter genre.   PS4 and XB1 are extremely abysmal in third party support as well.   No variety and a lot of filler.  :D

I feel Wii U is a top 5 console of all time for what it brought.  It perfected the interactive figure market, Miiverse, 40 or so Exclusive A tier titles and a console that can be played on TV or on the controller and also can use like 5 different types of controllers at once.  Oh, and something that might as well be folklore now adays.   backwards compatability!!!    :o   lol.   Which is amazing.  It has the entire Wii Library, Its own Library as well as many E Shop classics from the past.  It's library is monstrous if you look at it in that way.   It will always be a success in everywhere other than sales in my eyes.  I love Wii U for ever :D.  But we all have preferences  :) 

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:26:47 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 06:19:13 am »
The Wii U had a small library of games, and failed to market itself properly.  It lacked significant third party support and had a terrible online service.  The Wii U failed entirely on its own, not because console fanboys didn't like it or people like watching or playing Overwatch more (Of which Overwatch is totally a great game).  Console fanboys are a tiny part of the market.  A console only survives by mainstream support, which it never got.  I think it's a great system, but it had issues that led to its downfall that Nintendo could never recover from.

It's why I think the Switch will do better as it's done a whole lot more to cement itself with mainstream support and clarifying what it truly is.  Will that continue? I don't know.  Might depend on how fast Nintendo can restock and keep people invested in the system over this year.

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 08:12:21 am »
Nintendo has done a phenomenal job marketing the Switch.  It makes the system look very attractive to third party.

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 09:26:18 am »
The Wii u didn't fail because of fanboys however stupid they might be.  The Wii u failed because terrible marketing, little 3rd party support, and because 1st party games only trickled out.

rayne315

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 11:17:34 am »
I cannot be sure if it will be a major success or no but what I can be sure about is that it will be more successful than the wii u is just because it is combining both of the markets Nintendo is in, home console and handheld.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 12:39:44 pm »
It was both Nintendo's fault and hater's faults, IMO.

Nintendo massively failed at marketing the system. They failed to court third-parties. And they never gave it a price drop, which is almost unheard of with consoles.

But at the same time, yeah, the hate was strong for Nintendo this generation. I saw soooo many people hating on it that never even picked up a Wii U Pad to experience how cool it actually was.