Author Topic: Big collection!  (Read 2192 times)

jobocan

Big collection!
« on: March 19, 2012, 03:39:46 pm »
I just saw that on Kotaku and... well... It seems pretty ridiculous to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quality-Over-Quantity-Huge-Video-Game-Collection-Earthbound-SNES-Sega-Suikoden?item=260977931298&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m1374#ht_40975wt_1123

He's asking 35000$. It can't really be worth that much, right? He even refused an offer for 25k, which I think is also too high... OH but the shipping is free!

soera

Re: Big collection!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:53:30 pm »
Thats the part that shocked me is he turned down 25k. He has some nice stuff, for sure ... but I cant imagine that stuff being worth more than most brand new vehicles.

empovyle

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:10:03 pm »
Honestly, if I had that much money to waste, I'd buy them.  ;D

darko

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:19:28 pm »
Assuming there are ~ 600 items (I stopped counting at 300) I don't really think the average price per unit is unreasonable at ~ $60.00. His real problem is asking $35K at once.

If he parted everything out he might actually hit his asking price, but any serious collector who's willing to throw that kind of money at an auction is looking to 1) resell (not really a good option at $60 per unit) or 2) pick up a gold Wold Championship cart.

If someone was to resell everything I would guess that they could net ~$5000 but it would take a LOT of time and effort...like a year of playing the ebay market.

It actually has me questioning the insurance rider I have for my game collection...might need to bump it a tad :)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:25:08 pm by darko »

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 05:52:50 pm »
If I were to buy a lot like this I would expect a large discount. I think the offer of 25K wad about as much as he should expect. I have sold a single lot of item and I ended up at about 60% of the individual value.

jobocan

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:23:00 pm »
Turns out some of that collection is stolen. Probably not all, but at least some of it.

A few posts into this topic on CAG talks about that, he was banned from there because of that:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317616

And it seems he tried selling it for 50k at first >_<
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:31:12 pm by jobocan »

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:29:00 pm »
Geez this guy sounds like a real ass. Maybe I'll buy it now just to take it off ebay.

ffxik

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:02 am »
Even Kotaku is chiming in on it.  It seems kinda nuts.  His collection is is impressive, just not 35k impressive.  I also think it's odd that he isn't selling the systems.  If you were going to sell off something that large wouldn't you sell the hardware too.  Unless he doesn't own any of it of course.

As far as the theft goes.  Unless there is some proof beyond the shadow of a doubt, it boils down to their word against his. 

The forum at CAG seems to know this guy really well.  They seem to think it's an attention whoring stunt. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:48:27 am by ffxik »

soera

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 02:32:08 pm »
I cant figure out how legit it is. Free shipping sounds odd honestly. Cause its going to cost hundreds to ship and it will seriously cut into his monetary gain. Just seems sketchy all around to me. I tried reading the CAG thread about this but its long. I gave up after 3 pages.

darko

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 02:59:40 pm »
I cant figure out how legit it is. Free shipping sounds odd honestly. Cause its going to cost hundreds to ship and it will seriously cut into his monetary gain. Just seems sketchy all around to me. I tried reading the CAG thread about this but its long. I gave up after 3 pages.

Well considering the premium he's asking I'm pretty sure he could spend $300 to make $34,700.

I'll sum up the CAG Thread:

75% - An argument about value vs worth.
18% - The seller is a complete douche who's ripped people off in the past.
05% - How can we take this guy down?
02% - Racism
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:27:33 pm by darko »

soera

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:36:46 pm »
I cant imagine that entire collection shipping for just $300. But weirder things have happened.

ffxik

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 12:51:49 am »

Well considering the premium he's asking I'm pretty sure he could spend $300 to make $34,700.

I'll sum of the CAG Thread:

20% - The seller is a complete douche who's ripped people off in the past.

You forgot the 02% they spent discussing racism.

darko

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 05:26:29 pm »

I'll sum of the CAG Thread:

20% - The seller is a complete douche who's ripped people off in the past.

You forgot the 02% they spent discussing racism.

True. I fixed it.