Author Topic: game properties that are ruined by original company because thay were boughtout  (Read 1296 times)

htimreimer

do you know of any game properties that were ruined  because the original company was bought out

for me petz from pf magic which was bought out by ubisoft

amauriel

Which I think I mentioned in your other thread.

Also another big one would be the Sim franchises. Although the Maxis name still appears on it, it's all EA crap now.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

pacpix

Atari games have not been the same since they were bought by Hasbro in 1998. 
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

matt

Didn't they simply buy the name Atari and not any of the properties? Not like that makes it any better to smear the name of an industry icon.

psydswipe

Didn't they simply buy the name Atari and not any of the properties? Not like that makes it any better to smear the name of an industry icon.

I believe they had the properties as they release compilations and updated old games with 3D graphics. Hasbro also got Microprose that year but later got taken over by France-based Infogrames. Infogrames used the Atari name as a publishing label first before renaming the US branch to Atari. Not sure if they renamed their whole company. A lot of companies tend to fade away after being purchased. Usually developers who get bought make a few games before the top employees depart to start yet another company while the publisher retains the rights to all of their previous work.

It's hard to say which franchises were ruined because of a buy out. BioWare is obviously being influenced by EA's corporate politics, but maybe they would have gone down a similar path on their own. Doubtful, but who knows. EA also more or less killed off Westwood Studios.

jobocan

I think they have some of their properties. For example, last year they released a sequel to Yars' Revenge (named Yar's Revenge), which was actually really good. They also released (a few months after Yar's Revenge) a new version of Star Raiders which wasn't too bad (but not great).

I'm not sure if this applies but when Konami decided to fire Team Silent and out source Silent Hill to mostly American and European companies, and yet they still havent gotten it right, not that I think Shattered Memories or Homecoming is bad but I like those games for different reasons than why I love the old ones.

madmax

Which I think I mentioned in your other thread.

Also another big one would be the Sim franchises. Although the Maxis name still appears on it, it's all EA crap now.

I'm really hoping the new Sim City will redeem them. Problem is that there are already 2 editions, you need to pay more to get the premium content. It's bullshit.

kirbysuperstar

I'm not sure if this applies but when Konami decided to fire Team Silent and out source Silent Hill to mostly American and European companies, and yet they still havent gotten it right, not that I think Shattered Memories or Homecoming is bad but I like those games for different reasons than why I love the old ones.

I think Homecoming was pretty bad. I liked Shattered Memories, though.

Earthworm Jim is one. EWJ1/2 were pretty good games, but everything after that.. especially EWJ3D, dear Lord.