Author Topic: Some of the digital games cover images I submitted were wrongfully rejected  (Read 1631 times)

charlesmabe

Some of the cover images I submitted for Wii U virtual console and PS3 PSN digital games were rejected, but they shouldn't have been.

There is inconsistency in PS3 PSN cover images, as some people use images from who knows what source, while many of them have the images from the official PSN store-- all of which have a specific style and dimensions. LIMBO's official PSN store image is this: https://vgcollect.com/item/17473. And on PSN Sonic Adventure 2's is this: https://store.playstation.com/store/api/chihiro/00_09_000/container/US/en/999/UP0177-NPUB30579_00-SONICADVENTURE2F/1493737651000/image?_version=00_09_000&platform=chihiro&w=225&h=225&bg_color=000000&opacity=100. However, the image we have on file is this: https://vgcollect.com/item/35887. I don't where on earth that image came from, but when I tried to edit it to make it consistent with the source of the rest of the PSN games' images, it was rejected.

On a similar note, I tried to update the Super Mario Bros. for Wii U eShop image with an image from the official and reliable source consistent with nearly ALL the rest of VGCollect's Wii U eShop images. The image we have on file is this: https://vgcollect.com/item/50855. The place where all the other VGCollect images come from for that platform is the official nintendo.com eShop page. The image I tried to use was the top-left one on this page, which is what the rest of the VGCollect images use: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/super-mario-bros-wii-u.

All I'm asking is for reason and consistency. Maybe if your shelf view game layout actually worked like a mosaic, I wouldn't mind quite as much. But just look at my library: https://vgcollect.com/charlesmabe/eshopwiiu. Some of those things obviously aren't correct.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:04:45 pm by charlesmabe »

desocietas

AFAIK, your Sonic Adventure 2 image was accepted...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

charlesmabe

It wasn't. I made a new listing for the upgrade DLC, but the original Sonic Adventure 2 PSN title's cover image update was not accepted.

desocietas

It wasn't. I made a new listing for the upgrade DLC, but the original Sonic Adventure 2 PSN title's cover image update was not accepted.

Did you get a notification that it was rejected? If not, it might just be the cached image that's showing up for you. For me, the image that you say it should be (the one on PSN) and the one in the item record are identical as far as I can tell.

Looking at the history of edits for that item, it also says that you had submitted the new cover art image (which means it was accepted).
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

tripredacus

On a similar note, I tried to update the Super Mario Bros. for Wii U eShop image with an image from the official and reliable source consistent with nearly ALL the rest of VGCollect's Wii U eShop images. The image we have on file is this: https://vgcollect.com/item/50855. The place where all the other VGCollect images come from for that platform is the official nintendo.com eShop page. The image I tried to use was the top-left one on this page, which is what the rest of the VGCollect images use: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/super-mario-bros-wii-u.

Virtual Console (Wii, Wii U, whatever) images that have the flag portion I consistantly see on Mobygames. For example, this SMB for Wii U has the flag on it, but also the other one you point out:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/wii-u/super-mario-bros/cover-art

The issue with digital games is that images (and names) that a platform uses can change over time. And also they may use different images on different devices or browsers.

Personally, I feel that the icon for digital titles should match how it's displayed on whatever device it's played on.  Steam obviously being the steam store page.  Nintendo/PSN/XBL all being the icon displayed on your system for the game.

tripredacus

It is difficult in that way because you can't get a good image of what that looks like, unless you have the thing and can find the same picture on the official website. Also then there is the issue that people do not know what the correct image is and do not have the system. When I have come across a Virtual Console game with no front art, I will put in the art from Mobygames if it exists, but I actually have no idea if that art is correct or even where those images came from.

It is difficult in that way because you can't get a good image of what that looks like, unless you have the thing and can find the same picture on the official website. Also then there is the issue that people do not know what the correct image is and do not have the system. When I have come across a Virtual Console game with no front art, I will put in the art from Mobygames if it exists, but I actually have no idea if that art is correct or even where those images came from.
Fair enough.

PSN = store.playstation.com game page icon
XBL = xbox.com game page icon
Nintendo = nintendo.com game page icon?  I don't even know if Nintendo lists all of the games on their website like everybody else does.

tripredacus

Some of Nintendo's websites are region locked also. For example if you are in the US, it will not let you visit some European sites. I forget which countries I had trouble with and I do not know if it is still an issue.

Here is the US site with the games. It will change your URL after visiting:
http://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide

charlesmabe

Did you get a notification that it was rejected? If not, it might just be the cached image that's showing up for you. For me, the image that you say it should be (the one on PSN) and the one in the item record are identical as far as I can tell.

Looking at the history of edits for that item, it also says that you had submitted the new cover art image (which means it was accepted).

Yes, I did get a message that they were rejected. That's why I said they were rejected. Also, you could have just looked at the image yourself.

charlesmabe

Personally, I feel that the icon for digital titles should match how it's displayed on whatever device it's played on.  Steam obviously being the steam store page.  Nintendo/PSN/XBL all being the icon displayed on your system for the game.

That's exactly what I'm going by, except the problem is there is no place to rip the image of the cover as it shows up on the PS3. The only reliable source of images is store.playstation.com. Many of the VGCollect PSN PS3 images come from there. However, when I tried to update a few game listings to also use those, they were rejected.

Think of it this way... We don't have a lot of views to display our games. Even the shelf view looks kind of bad because the icons aren't tiled. If we at least had a view that looked like cases on a shelf which you could take out and flip around (I saw that on Wii homebrew a long time ago), that would be something. The best we have at the moment is to go into individual platforms' categories and hope to see some dimension and style consistency. But Wii U eShop sometimes breaks consistency with some random low-res image with weird dimensions (the Super Mario Bros. one I linked, for example), and the PS3 PSN one also does something similar sometimes, with people using random icons from the PS3 for a few games and the official store.playstation.com image for most of the rest them.

I recognize where the old image that VGCollect chose to keep came from, too. From the not-yet-installed icon for the game on the PS3. That's NOT a good image to use, nor is it consistent with anything else. Why was my update rejected again?

Also, VGCollect forum, if you want to keep bots out using the forum anti-spam security question, you shouldn't make it the same question every time. That's not how the anti-spam security question works.

Anyway, I didn't think I would get this many replies. Thanks, everyone, for helping out. ^^
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:08:05 pm by charlesmabe »

charlesmabe

See, now, this is ridiculous. I got a rejection less than a minute after I posted a needed image update. Here's my library:

Obviously that isn't correct, so here is the image I requested:

And here is the response I received, in less than a minute:

Okay, who is accepting or rejecting these images, and can he come look at this topic?

Here are three possible things we could try to make this less of nonsense:

Suggestion #1: PLEASE let me include a note with each submission proving that my submission is valid. Then the acceptor can review that information and use common sense.

Suggestion #2: You guys aren't perfect, so let me choose an image *I* want to keep on file if I so choose, just for my collection. It doesn't have to be the universal image.

Suggestion #3: If you reject an image, give me counter-rejection in which case it goes up for appeal.

Why should I use this service if I am being overlorded by people who aren't even beginning to compare the info to see if it matches up with consistency and common sense before rejecting it? This is a database, not a bias center.

Also, for a visual database, NO IMAGE ATTACHMENTS IN THE FORUMS? Really? How am I supposed to make points about data if I can't show it?

Honestly, the phantom rejections are a common annoyance.  Some of us will use the "Alt-name" field as a notes field to the moderator.  It'll get rejected obviously due to it just being a note, but it'll get the message to whomever actually does the review.

Also, I agree that there should be a bit more transparency in the review process. 

Add Rejection reason, rejected by, etc.  Give us an optional notes field that isn't stored on an item but rather stored on an edit entry.

desocietas

Yes, I did get a message that they were rejected. That's why I said they were rejected. Also, you could have just looked at the image yourself.

Ok, I'm just trying to understand your post. Here is what I saw yesterday (and proof that I'm looking at your images):
The link you posted from the PSN store:

The item record you linked that you say has the wrong image:

The item record's history indicating that you were the last one to add the front cover image:

Am I missing something here? The images are all the same, and it said you submitted the most recent image.
From an admin standpoint, the rejection process is definitely not perfect. Would be best if we had a text field to relay the issue/rejection reason.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:29:11 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

charlesmabe

Am I missing something here? The images are all the same, and it said you submitted the most recent image.

Oh, I'm sorry!  :-[ It showed the old image for me even after you asked about it. Maybe I had a cache problem. : /

From an admin standpoint, the rejection process is definitely not perfect. Would be best if we had a text field to relay the issue/rejection reason.

Please! Also a spot for a note to the admin as to why the change is requested.

Believe it or not, I am only talking about one of many rejection-related problems. I got a TON of unneeded rejections, and so far I think the only ones that were justified rejections were what I changed before I knew about store.playstation.com.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:42:04 pm by charlesmabe »