Author Topic: Have you ever sold/traded a game that you wish you didn't?  (Read 6252 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Have you ever sold/traded a game that you wish you didn't?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2017, 06:16:14 pm »
Didn't sell it but I regret that our copy of Sunset Riders from back in the day ended up with my brother's stuff (even though we originally got the game from my friend). Now it's an expensive game for some reason.

For some reason expensive  ???

It's a run and gun game, many people collect for this specific genre and not to many of such games around, old school cowboy western again not many of such old school good cowboy games around, Snes version is a solid arcade port.

Gameplay and grapics are excellent and defenitely not as common as most good games, furthermore more people now know about this great game. It's not really a suprise in my opinion. The only reason why it was cheap in the past is because for allot of people the game was not known.

Ps2 and ps1 still have allot of hidden gems wich are cheap, so if only people would stop creating those hidden gem video's prices will stay low for those uncommon excellent yet still cheap games. Not talking about hidden gems on forums would also help since I have seen many games rise in price thanks to only that for ps1 and ps2 consoles.

Being a good game doesn't necessarily mean it will become expensive, as in $100 expensive. Like for example, look how expensive Earthbound is. It must be the best game on the SNES right? Not exactly. Well, it must be really rare then? Nope. It's just expensive because.... reasons.

It's not a common game, your lucky if you come across one in a lot in Europe or the US. That in combination with it being a great game and it being known by many people make a game expensive.

It's harder to find than copies of dK country 1 to 3 super mario kart and many other great games and not even by a little but by allot.

Super mario world might be one of the better games yet you will easily find one in pretty much every lot. There are far more super mario world carts to supply the demand wich keep the prices normal, yet if a sunset riders cart appear many people are looking for one while there are few. Less carts to supply demand.

Hard to find and in demand, A game does not need to be very rare to become expensive It's already hard to find as it is. There are only very few games wich are rare, and many games wich are not rare can be hard to find. and than you have cib stuff wich is even less supply.

Earthbound is not easy to find. If it truly wasn't hard to find just uncommon? I'd like to ask if you have found one or many copies in the wild already?

Panzer dragoon saga in The US 500+ $ pretty rare yet so many on ebay why?

The only reason why you see many copies of earthbound or other expensive games are online is because it is valuable people want to sell it or need to get rid of it, if it was worth far less, allot less people would bother to try to sell and scalp them. the only reason why one sees so many copies people hoard them copies there is allot of demand and the games are not easy to find from new sources.

Supply demand, and how great a game is affects prices. Sunsetriders is far harder to find than many other great snes games It's no suprise why it is more expensive than most games.

Expensive games have a higher chance to get back in circulation, People need money in hard times and sell them to resellers or just on the open market.

Also in my opinion sunset riders is one of the best games on the snes. Definitely in the top 20 games for Snes. I cannot imagine this game not being in the top tier games for snes.

I've found one copy of Earthbound in the wild and it was maybe $2, but I told my brother he could have it since we both found it. I've seen it in countless game stores, and every convention I go to most of the vendors have one. EB is always pretty high in availability, but the price is a deterrent. Probably one of the most flippable SNES items, since most people found it for a few dollars and sell it for a ton online.

I think the price is artificially high, and it may have to do with the original MSRP being $80-90 due to the included guide book. Retail stores probably didn't drop the used price a whole lot, and so the notion that it was worth significantly more than a standard SNES game lingered over until collecting took off. On eBay, usually the sale price of a CIB copy influences the value of a loose copy, and with the complete one going so high, the price was inflated to seem like a good chuck of that value was just the game itself. Really, a CIB EarthBound is a bit different and lot less common than most other complete games, so that reasoning is quite skewed. IMHO, the game should be sub $100 and never should have been going for $200 loose back in the late 2000s like it was.

I always thought Earthbound had a very strong fanbase wich made the prices sky rocket at one time far after It's original release.

I'm sure it did / still does, but I'm thinking they're a bit gaga especially in terms of what it should be worth for a loose copy. Yeah it's a good game, yeah it's not in every stack you find, but $150 - $200?? And that was before collecting in general started to get competitive and expensive like it is now.

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2017, 05:55:29 pm »
Man, this thread can be painful!  I've sold, loaned or even given away so many games that I wish I had back but the one that stings most is my Phantasy Star II.  I bought it at launch (for around $75 in 1990) and sold it for change when I needed money in college.  I had the Hint Book with all the paths through the dungeons traced in pencil.  I've since re-purchased PSII loose but it's not the same.

koal0313

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 06:56:28 am »
I still get teary eyed when I think back to before I collected and sold my Sega Saturn lot region free Saturn 2 controllers arcade stick 25 games including virtua fighter, panzer dragoon saga, NASCAR circuit edition, tomb raider and others I can't even remember what I needed the money for but I remember getting 140 bucks for it around 6 years ago and I was desperate and not as educated as I am now I'll never recover that system.

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 04:47:58 pm »
I lost or sold every console game I had as a teenager including 007 Golden eye for the N64. I wish I had not lost or sold those games because I even had Metroid for the GameCube and another Japanese racing game and I want it back but don't know it's name :(
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2017, 12:56:40 am »
I suppose I'm lucky in that I learned my lesson early on. We got an NES for Christmas when I was in Kindergarten, which my parents sold when I was in 4th grade to finance acquiring a Sega Genesis. While we certainly enjoyed the Genesis, we missed our NES games terribly and agreed as a family to never do that again! It's been a rare thing for me to sell or give away anything since. I remember selling Fighting Force, Load Runner, and Alundra 2 for the PS1, but I don't regret it (and none of them are particularly expensive these days anyway.)

I did give away a few consoles over the years, if I found myself with another means to play the games... PS1 went to a friend, then later to my brother. The former family genesis went to I believe my brother when I got my Genesis/Sega CD unit. The original grey-brick Gameboy went to a friend. That's the only one I really regret these days... I don't need it, I have many other ways to play my games, but it still kinda bugs me that I don't own one.

The subject of stolen games- that's a different matter! I lost Brave Fencer Musashi, Final Fantasy 7, Super Mario RPG, and Zelda: Link to the Past to thieving friends/siblings back in the day. Luckily it happened before prices ballooned & I was able to replace all of them (even got lucky with a cheap CIB Zelda).

I've honestly always been more entertained to see what I did right in hindsight... I remember going through some old junk boxes cleaning my closet a couple years back... and discovered that, despite not keeping any other paperwork for the Game Boy/Game Boy Color, young me apparently had the forethought to carefully fold flat and store the boxes/papers for Zelda Oracle of Ages & Seasons. That was an exciting thing to add back into the collection!

shfan

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 02:13:18 pm »
Oh Christ yes, when I was younger and kept concluding that I was 'growing out' of gaming (ho ho ho, silly boy) I obliterated my collection of games like 3 or 4 times.

One purge involved getting rid of all the stuff I played as a kid (ie my 'foundation' games), all the spectrum titles I used to cherish, the really obscure DOS games I had which actually worked on our crappy 5.25" CGA PC. Probably in favour of SNES/MD/PS1.

Another purge saw me get rid of MD/SNES/MS/GB (NES was never part of my gaming history).I had... ugh.. I had FFII (FFIV) and Chrono Trigger on import (I'm UK, I got those from my local market when they were current, such a waste), stuff like Rocket Knight Adventures, Soleil (Crusader of Centy, which I had from day of release). That was stupid.

The worst was probably when I got rid of all my PS1 stuff. The PS1 was the first console I had from it being released, apart from that only the Spectrum I was given as a Christmas present at age 4 was current, oh and the Gameboy, which I keep forgetting. For the PS1 I had so much stuff... Clock Tower, I just gave that away to a market stall holder. Klonoa, Suikoden, Suikoden 2, Vandal Hearts, Vandal Hearts 2, Azure Dreams, Eternal Eyes, Castlevania SOTN (with soundtrack). I had all that stuff from new. Those were just some of the games, I had no end of kooky titles the likes of which I love (Devil's Deception, Guardian Crusade, Front Mission 3 etc.) That one hurt, I can still remember buying most of them and still remember owning the PS1 from the beginning, when my local game stores only had Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer, Wipeout and Tekken. I've managed to replace a lot of the obscure stuff, but the 'big' ones like Suikoden 1 & 2 are still missing.

On one other occassion I got rid of a lot of 360 stuff and most of my PS2 collection, just kept the ones I could not part with (and some PS1 which I had re-bought), thankfully kept a few interesting titles but again shed a lot of games that are hard to replace.

I'm rebuilding and expanding my game collection, a lot of the PC stuff will be extremely difficult to replace (very small print runs), a lot of the console games will never be affordable, but I am also picking up stuff like complete gameboy games that I didn't own back in the day. Got plenty to play though :D

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2017, 03:53:41 am »
I have a bad memory of throwing a tantrum in gamestop as a kid because I got practically nothing for my gamecube games, and then sold them anyway

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2017, 02:49:33 am »
EVERY SINGLE GAME I HAVE EVER SOLD TO GAMESTOP!

gibgirl

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 03:57:19 pm »
In 2010, I sold my Atari Jaguar stuff.

I bought the console new. Bought the CD drive new. Had two regular controllers plus one pro controller. About fifteen games, including most of the good stuff. (Tempest 2000, Defender 2000, Aliens vs Predator, Iron Soldier, Primal Rage) Everything was in great shape, all complete in box.

Wish I could go back and time and smack then-me upside the head. Because I know I didn't ask for nearly as much as it was worth then, and rebuilding that same collection now would definitely be pricey.

But if I go back further... there was the Vectrex with 10 games that I sold back around 1990. $50 for the whole set.

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 03:59:02 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:20:13 pm by jce3000gt »

sworddude

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 05:52:47 pm »

^This.  I'd also like to add the stuff I traded in to Funcoland.  15-20 years ago I really didn't think games were going to get big like they are now.  I traded stuff like Suikoden II, Earthbound, and many other retro games back in the day when they were fairly new-ish.

to be fair if it was fairly new your trade in value wouldn't be nickle and dimes, quite a nice amount.

Besides after inflation over the many years, even games like suikoden II have pretty much the same value like when they were sold brand new back in the day unless they are factory sealed.

Earthbound yes if it is complete in box otherwise pretty much the same story.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:55:32 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2017, 12:00:34 pm »
A couple times. When I was younger I oked the selling of my ps2 and all of the ps2 and ps1 games I had so we could get an Xbox 360. Since then I've both repurchased and resold ps2s and games, and have also bought and sold my own personal 360 and games. I've regretted pretty much all instances especially the first ps1 and ps2 lots that were sold. I've reacquired a lot of the titles I've lost from the numerous sales but not all, especially some of the more expensive ps1 games. In the end though I think that selling titles so my family could get the newer generation consoles was worth it, even if once I got to the point of wanting to go back and replay a lot of these older titles I'm having to reacquire them.

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2017, 05:37:55 pm »

THIS. It cringes me to know I've done this more than a few times.

kashell

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 07:53:02 am »

soera

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 10:52:19 am »
My story is a bit more painful. I was living with a girl around the time Morrowind was current (the reason I mention that has to do with the story). I loved Morrowind like no other. I used to come home from work and play til I would be too tired to continue and go to bed, wake up and start all over again. Well, I also had a sweet PS1 collection at the time and a lot of well cared for SMS/NES/SNES games too like DW 1-4, Chrono Trigger, etc. The girlfriend was sick and tired of me spending more time with Morrowind than her. So one day while I was at work she took all of my game stuff to Game Xchange and sold it all off. She got $40 for everything. That included my CIB copy of Magic knight Rayearth and my CIB + guide book copy of Valkyrie profile. When I got home, she told me what she did, gave me the $40 and told me she was leaving.

I have since replaced every single piece other than that CIB+guide book of Valkyrie profile. Replaced her too.